Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Bunny Chow Recipes

I make simple curries and I make complex curries (lots of ingredients). I make and grind my own Masala in order for consistency and don't use commerical curry powders. Most basic curries are a couple of ingredients and most recipes have roughly in the same proportions in them. Then people can get more complex but from my observation they all have a common denominator so to speak. Family and friends love my curries but ............

.........., a good Bunny Chow still eludes me. I have been on a quest for more years than I can count to make an acceptable Bunny Chow, but alas I am still not there. It is not merely a 1/4 load of bread filled with curry. The curry's used in my opinion have a different sauce (n lang sous) in that there is more sauce, but it never tastes watered down. All the recipes I have made (many), and my own creations, are not sauce rich enough for use in a Bunny. Adding more water to make more gravy would render the curry insipid. I have tried to double the "sauce" components but alas I still miss the classic oily Durban Bunny.

I am appealing to anyone who has a family recipe that they are prepared to trust me with? Not a curry recipe to put into bread but a pupose designed curry recipe for a pukka Durban 1/4 Mutton Bunny.

The Purple Lounge near Mall of Africa has an excellent Mutton Bunny and they will provide it with "extra gravy" if asked, which is the glorious rich sauce of the Bunny.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrew Leigh For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bunny Chow Recipes

The meat used must have a high fat content, must be slow and long cooked to render it (the fat) and use a very high-quality stock and fresh not canned tomatoes.

Lamb ultimately works better than any other... But beef and chicken complying to the above should work almost as well.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2023/12/20 at 08:31 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

Hi Andrew

We follow Selina's recipes and are very happy with them, got to follow her when she first started her youtube channel. I believe as authentic as you can get.

https://youtu.be/UaRiRKUwfpc?si=jXftvVC-2GIb7QHu

Regards
    David

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidT For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    Hi Andrew

We follow Selina's recipes and are very happy with them, got to follow her when she first started her youtube channel. I believe as authentic as you can get.

https://youtu.be/UaRiRKUwfpc?si=jXftvVC-2GIb7QHu

Regards
    David
    Will have a go at this one. I love the way Indians pronounce greyvee .

I have just noted that the recipe relies on a commercial masala. What happened to mixing you own Masala?
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2023/12/20 at 08:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Leigh View Post
    Will have a go at this one. I love the way Indians pronounce greyvee .

I have just noted that the recipe relies on a commercial masala. What happened to mixing you own Masala?
    Hi Andrew

Masala is a special thing that you mix to your own taste. Being exposed to food with my daughter while doing her masters in food, i quickly realised that the stuff you buy in boxes does not cut it as a masala.

We use the below link as a base for our masala that we use at home. A word of warning here, be careful with the amount of chilli powder as different batches vary (Different chillies etc per batch) We grow our own birds eye chillies, dry them and then blend them into a powder for our chilli powder.

https://youtu.be/O1L2tDh0iOw

We as a family like lots of Cardamon/Star Anise and curry leaves, fresh chillies (Added at the beginning). and fresh coriander

Regards
    David
    Last edited by DavidT; 2023/12/20 at 09:29 AM. Reason: I forgot

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DavidT For This Useful Post:

The secret to a nice thick gravy..especially Bunnys... Onions, lots of finely chopped onions. Fried golden brown at the beggining. Not sauted.
    +- 6 big onions to 1 kg meat.
    again to 1kg meat, 4 large tomatoes, liquidised. Not grated and not tin tomatoes.
    add the meat to the Onions after it has turned Golden Brown. only add the tomato after the meat has cooked. The minute you add tomato to your pot, the meat will no longer cook through.
    1. Fry onions
    2. Add meat.
    3. Add spicesssssssssss as desired.( Mix)
    4. half cup water.
    5. let meat cook until nice brown
    6. Add tomato
    7. Let cook for 15 mins.
    8, Taste for flavor, salt, chilli etc... add more if needed.
    9. Add potatoes( Soft cooking)
    10, Simmer on low heat until potatoes are soft.
    11. Add fresh coriander( Dhanya)
    RechardT

Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:

For those of you who have lived in Natal, you know how typical this is. They actually have a Curry Cook-off about June/July. It takes up a major portion of a parking lot at the Royal Show in PMB.
    Judge 3 was an inexperienced food critic named Frank, who was visiting from America.
    Frank: “Recently, I was honoured to be selected as a judge at a Curry Cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last moment and I happened to be standing there at the judge’s table asking for directions to the Beer Garden when the call came in. I was assured by the other two judges (Natal Indians) that the curry wouldn’t be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free beer during the tasting, so I accepted”. Here are the scorecard notes from the event:
    CURRY 1 – SEELAN’S MANIAC MONSTER TOMATO CURRY…
    Judge 1 — A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick. Judge 2 — Nice smooth tomato flavour. Very mild. Judge 3 (Frank) — Holy sh*t, what the hell is this stuff? You could remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put the flames out. I hope that’s the worst one. These people are crazy.
    CURRY 2 – PHOENIX BBQ CHICKEN CURRY…
    Judge 1 — Smoky, with a hint of chicken. Slight chilli tang. Judge 2 — Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be taken seriously. Judge 3 — Keep this out of the reach of children. I’m not sure what I’m supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two people who wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver! They had to rush in more beer when they saw the look on my face.
    CURRY 3 – SHAMILA’S FAMOUS “BURN DOWN THE GARAGE” CURRY…
    Judge 1 — Excellent firehouse curry. Great kick. Judge 2 — A bit salty, good use of chilli peppers. Judge 3 — Call 911. I’ve located a uranium pill. My nose feels like I have been snorting Drain Cleaner. Everyone knows the routine by now. Get me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back, now my backbone is in the front part of my chest. I’m getting p*ssed from all the beer.
    CHILLI 4 – BABOO’S BLACK MAGIC BEAN CURRY.
    Judge 1 — Black bean curry with almost no spice. Disappointing. Judge 2 — Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish for fish or other mild foods, not much of a curry. Judge 3 — I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was unable to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Shareen, the beer maid, was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 200kg woman is starting to look HOT…just like this nuclear waste I’m eating! Is chilli an aphrodisiac?
    CHILLI 5 – LALL’S LEGAL LIP REMOVER…
    Judge 1 — Meaty, strong curry. Cayenne peppers freshly ground, adding considerable kick. Very impressive. Judge 2 — Average beef curry, could use more tomato. Must admit the chilli peppers make a strong statement. Judge 3 — My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my forehead and I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind me needed paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that her chilli had given me brain damage. Shareen saved my tongue from bleeding by pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I’m burning my lips off. It really p*sses me off that the other judges asked me to stop screaming. Scr*w them.
    CHILLI 6 – VERISHNEE’S VEGETARIAN VARIETY…
    Judge 1 — Thin yet bold vegetarian variety curry. Good balance of spices and peppers. Judge 2 — The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions, and garlic. Superb. Judge 3 — My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with gaseous, sulphuric flames. I am definitely going to sh*t myself if I fart and I’m worried it will eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me except that Shareen. Can’t feel my lips anymore I need to wipe my ar*e with a snow cone ice-cream.
    CHILLI 7 – SELINA’S “MOTHER-IN-LAW’S-TONGUE” CURRY…
    Judge 1 — A mediocre curry with too much reliance on canned peppers. Judge 2 — Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a can of chilli peppers at the last moment. (I should take note at this stage that I am worried about Judge 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is cursing uncontrollably). Judge 3 — You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin, and I wouldn’t feel a thing. I’ve lost sight in one eye, and the world sounds like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with curry which slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to match my shirt. At least, during the autopsy, they’ll know what killed me. I’ve decided to stop breathing – it’s too painful. Scr*w it; I’m not getting any oxygen anyway. If I need air I’ll just suck it in through the 4-inch hole in my stomach.
    CHILLI 8 – NAIDOO’S TOENAIL CURLING CURRY…
    Judge 1 — The perfect ending. This is a nice blend curry. Not too bold but spicy enough to declare its existence. Judge 2 — This final entry is a good, balanced curry. Neither mild nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge 3 farted, passed out, fell over and pulled the curry pot down on top of himself. Not sure if he’s going to make it. Poor man, wonder how he’d have reacted to really hot curry?
    Judge 3 – No Report 🙂

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Spliffcat For This Useful Post:

As curry is not in my blood I do not know how to make my own blends. Although I love to chomp it. So I buy the nice and spicy packs. Great taste and easy to make.

Catch is I don’t eat veggies. Especially tomato. So I always end up with a runny oily sauce. Adding maizena helps. But the other night I added my potatoes a bit too early. It was also cut smaller than usual. So it boiled away completely and that thickened the sauce nicely.

Would also like to know what the proper procedure would be.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidT View Post
    Hi Andrew

Masala is a special thing that you mix to your own taste. Being exposed to food with my daughter while doing her masters in food, i quickly realised that the stuff you buy in boxes does not cut it as a masala.

We use the below link as a base for our masala that we use at home. A word of warning here, be careful with the amount of chilli powder as different batches vary (Different chillies etc per batch) We grow our own birds eye chillies, dry them and then blend them into a powder for our chilli powder.

https://youtu.be/O1L2tDh0iOw

We as a family like lots of Cardamon/Star Anise and curry leaves, fresh chillies (Added at the beginning). and fresh coriander

Regards
    David
    Hi I get that. The point I was making is that the recipe called for a Masala that one cannot duplicate. So it is hit and miss, I like to know.

You actually do not need a Masala, you can add these components individually.

My basic recipe, from an Indian pal, this for 1kg Lamb.

3 cloves
    2 large bay leaves
    5 whole peppercorns
    2 tsp Gound Coriander
    0.5 tsp Turmeric
    1 small stick of cinnamon bark
    3 green cardamoms
    2 tsp Chillie powder (adjust to taste) have found Robertsons Cayenne Pepper to be consistent in heat so is becoming my go to. Normally use Kashmiri Chili Powder.

The above dry ingredient in reality forms the Masala, which rather than ground and mixed together is added at component level. Had we mixed the lot together, it would amount to circa 6 teaspoons of "Indian Friend Masala". The difference is that I can repeat this Masala over and over again.

The nice thing (I think) is that being at component level I can fry off the peppercorns, bay leaves, cinnamon and cardamoms to release flavours and oils. Then the balance of the spices can be cooked off.

Or one could have simply added this as 6 tsp of Masala and fry it off before adding the wet ingredients.

75ml Vegetable Oil
    2 tsp fresh ginger and garlic paste
    1.5 Medium Onions
    3 medium tomato's
    4 medium Potato's
    10 Curry leaves
    Salt to taste
    Fresh Coriander Leaves

I have seen that Aunty's video's before, I really like her.
    Last edited by Andrew Leigh; 2023/12/20 at 12:09 PM.

I got a tip from and Indian lady.

If the sauce is too thin, take a raw potato, peel it and then grate it into the sauce as you are cooking. It works but I am dumb and usually end up doing this after the meat is cooked.

Being clever I have used Woolies smash. Works a bomb.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

One word - Gorima's.

Not sure whether there are any up in the big smoke, but this is the perfect place to set you up for a delicious curry. The ladies that work there are also extremely helpful!
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    One word - Gorima's.

Not sure whether there are any up in the big smoke, but this is the perfect place to set you up for a delicious curry. The ladies that work there are also extremely helpful!
    I’m actually convinced that the only reason my wife supports me with my Comrades running is for her to get to Gorima’s every June

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ronman For This Useful Post:

Decent Mutton, "Sheep', not goat, with fat, gives a good oily base. Durban is one of the few places that use tomato in curry, you find Jam tomatoes at many indian markets. Garum masala is key, even if self made. Potatoes used are not sifra rubbish.Only a 1/4 to a half max Tumeric or you get Rajha taste. Gorima's wet Masala and then see if you can copy it. Haven't used it in ages but its good. I grew up with the real Curry in Durbs.

I put brown vinegar with the spices in the beginning,it helps the meat absorb the flavor (who knows) and do the potatoes in the microwave, in a bowl.always come out just right.

Fluffy makes a good curry, from what i've see here.

A must is Carrot sambals with chopped chili.
    Last edited by Robbief; 2023/12/20 at 07:54 PM.
    Fortuner D4D
    Hilux 2.7 4x4 Raider.
    Sp Tourer

Andrew, some of my family advocate for a process similar to a Hunters Pot or a good Minstrone. Top up the curry daily or make a new batch and add to yesterday's. (Commercial)

Keeping it warm for an extended period helps the older ingredients to render down to a sauce thickener.

Making it on Monday for consumption on Wednesday onwards and keeping it on a low heat during that period and adding some moisture is another way for a single, once off pot.

Time is the key. At a minimim, 12 hours low n slow
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Estee For This Useful Post:

Take one Loaf of Bread
    Hilux 2.5 Litre DC 2015 4x2
    Summit Everest Trailer Full House

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Andrew, some of my family advocate for a process similar to a Hunters Pot or a good Minstrone. Top up the curry daily or make a new batch and add to yesterday's. (Commercial)

Keeping it warm for an extended period helps the older ingredients to render down to a sauce thickener.

Making it on Monday for consumption on Wednesday onwards and keeping it on a low heat during that period and adding some moisture is another way for a single, once off pot.

Time is the key. At a minimim, 12 hours low n slow
    How long has that pot somewhere in Scotland allegedly been bubbling along?
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

2000 Disco Td5
    2018 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel burner
    1947 Citroën Traction Avant Light 15

27. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Take one Loaf of Bread
    Post of the year.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Fred56 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Take one Loaf of Bread
    Trying this tomorrow

To the OP, all I know is, it has to be mutton. Only my opinion

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    Trying this tomorrow
    Just tried it now, wasn’t too bad.
    Tip; if bread is fresh, use as is. If bread is stale, toast it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to DEFENDER90 For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast