Default Nikon F-mount lenses - looking for something you might have

Always good to tap into this forum for advice and possibly buy something from someone.

I've been playing around a lot with my D3200 body and kit lenses. For me, things like the autofocus on this camera are archaic in any case and I generally take landscape, portrait and wildlife/bird photos by setting everything manually. That's how I like doing it.

Looking for the following that will (for now) go on my Nikon D3200 but not really looking for the DX lenses as I want to change to full-frame at some stage. I don't need autofocus (although won't complain if I get it; or if it doesn't have the internal motors). Not looking for image stabilisation etc. I'm actually looking for prime lenses and not zoom.

Something around 10 mm
    Something around 20 mm
    Something around 50-80 mm
    A "long" one of about 300 mm.
    A 2x teleconverter.

I'm on a budget and quite like the older stuff in any case. If I eventually buy a better camera it will be for the better screen resolution and a decent full-frame sensor, not for the features.

So, what do you guys have out there (lenses) that you perhaps want to sell?

Default Re: Nikon F-mount lenses - looking for something you might have

Someone already pm'd me with two of the items, but I'm not sure if my replies go through because pm's weren't working properly.

People are welcome to WhatsApp oh ate 3 5 0 five two 0 nine five

Based on a few responses already, I realise I've given hopelessly too little info in my first post.

My idea is this:

As far as I know, the Nikon F-mount has been the same since (roughly) the time of Moses. This means (correct me if I'm wrong) that even the really old stuff will still fit on a new Nikon, as long as you don't want electronics.

So, perhaps there is someone who doesn't use their old lenses any more but it's still in good enough condition to take good photos. I'm looking for better optical quality, hence no more kit lenses for me. Heavy, clunky metal things are what I want (I think).

I have a budget of about R5k.

Opinions are welcome, and if you guys think I'm barking up the wrong tree or just completely out in terms of what I expect to get for the money I want to spend - you are welcome to say so. Sometimes I do have crazy ideas.

I have an 80-400 VR if you want it.
    It is an AF lens but that part won't work on your body as it needs a body with a built-in motor.
    Lens is used but in nearly-new condition and includes the box and carry bag it came in.

This one:
    https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80400vr.htm
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I have an 80-400 VR if you want it.
    It is an AF lens but that part won't work on your body as it needs a body with a built-in motor.
    Lens is used but in nearly-new condition and includes the box and carry bag it came in.

This one:
    https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/80400vr.htm
    You are welcome to WA me if you don't want to go public. How much are you looking for? 80-400 mm means although it's a zoom I can use it within its limits and prevent softening of the images near the 400mm mark. Looking at the specs though it will probably still (sadly) be above my means as it's quite a modern lens (by my standards).

I've had very little response as far as wide-angle stuff goes. Nikon makes a 10 or 10.5 mm although I think that's a DX. But apparently these "ultra-wide" lenses were a more recent thing. To the extent that I'm wondering whether there are any screw-in filter-type lenses that can be added to a 20mm to make it ultra-wide.

I don't think there were any "rectilinear" super-wide-angle lenses before the modern era. There were a few fish-eyes but the ones as short as you are talking about were super expensive and are collector's items now.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by antvz View Post
    You are welcome to WA me if you don't want to go public. How much are you looking for? 80-400 mm means although it's a zoom I can use it within its limits and prevent softening of the images near the 400mm mark. Looking at the specs though it will probably still (sadly) be above my means as it's quite a modern lens (by my standards).
    I am in two minds.
    This lens is pretty sharp, even at 400mm, but stopped down a bit.
    But the AF is incredibly slow, which makes it basically useless for my photography (which is 90% focussed on birds in flight). So since I bought the 500 in 2013, this lens has not left the safe. And because the lens that replaced it was a huge improvement, there really isn't much market for it.

So on the one hand, it cost me R12k and it doesn't cost me anything to keep it, but on the other hand I doubt I will ever use it again.

Make me an offer?
    Zero78 4vifesix zero78zero.

Oh, I also have a 80-200 f4.5 AI-S (https://radojuva.com/en/2016/11/niko...m-4-5-ai-mkii/), a pre-electronics lens, like new and in box, and a 300mm f4 AF-S which is optically basically perfect but has some sort of connection issue with some cameras. Seems like the contact pins may be a bit short, although they don't appear worn. But for this last lens I would want more than your budget.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2023/12/03 at 05:19 PM.

I am in two minds.
    This lens is pretty sharp, even at 400mm, but stopped down a bit.
    But the AF is incredibly slow, which makes it basically useless for my photography (which is 90% focussed on birds in flight). So since I bought the 500 in 2013, this lens has not left the safe. And because the lens that replaced it was a huge improvement, there really isn't much market for it.

So on the one hand, it cost me R12k and it doesn't cost me anything to keep it, but on the other hand I doubt I will ever use it again.

Make me an offer?
    Zero78 4vifesix zero78zero.

Oh, I also have a 80-200 f4.5 AI-S (https://radojuva.com/en/2016/11/niko...m-4-5-ai-mkii/), a pre-electronics lens, like new and in box, and a 300mm f4 AF-S which is optically basically perfect but has some sort of connection issue with some cameras. Seems like the contact pins may be a bit short, although they don't appear worn. But for this last lens I would want more than your budget.
    Peter, you have always responded with useful info and offers of equipment whenever I come up with my crazy photo thread requests. For this I am truly appreciative. Thank you.

The 400mm zoom looks delicious but I'm not ready for it yet. Still have a lot of playing around to do and on my budget I would lowball you too much for an offer on that one, bearing in mind what it cost you. The 300mm F4 is probably what I'm headed towards eventually (and I can pop a teleconverter on when I need more zoom), but as you say...
    The 80-200 I will also keep in mind a bit.

Thanks to another member who dredged up some stuff, I now didn't get what I asked for but did get something that will fulfil my needs for now on the "long" side. And (finally) a teleconverter, which will just give me chance to feel how it is to work with one and what the practical limitations are based on what I normally photograph.

I don't think there were any "rectilinear" super-wide-angle lenses before the modern era. There were a few fish-eyes but the ones as short as you are talking about were super expensive and are collector's items now.
    Seems like I might have to compromise on this one a bit then.

I see there's a Nikon Fisheye 10.5mm that's quite common - BUT - it's a G and a DX, although it's a 2.8 which will be great if I want to do landscape/starscape type things. Also some 10-20mm zoom lenses perhaps worth considering.

Ant, do you know what a fisheye lens is?

It's a "special effect" lens and not typically usable for landscapes or starscapes.

The only short full-frame Nikkor I know of in the range you are talking about is the 12-24 F2.8, which is a wonderful lens but also expensive.

Ant, do you know what a fisheye lens is?

It's a "special effect" lens and not typically usable for landscapes or starscapes.

The only short full-frame Nikkor I know of in the range you are talking about is the 12-24 F2.8, which is a wonderful lens but also expensive.
    Oh, so it distorts the image quite a bit? I see, yes. I don't think that is going to work then.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to antvz For This Useful Post: