Thread: Safe Roads?

Default Safe Roads?

Hello!
    We're coming from Namibia this week, driving to Pretoria via Upington and the N14. Is that road (relatively) safe to drive with our bakkie (Nissan NP300)? One hear so much about hijacking of bakkies and we're people at around 60 years of age.
    Advice will be appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: Safe Roads?

Time it so you drive N14 in daylight.
    '00 Nissan D22 QD32Ti 4x4 D/C - many, many mods.
    '10 Toyota LC150 1GR-FE VX - stock
    '10 Yamaha XT1200Z Super Ténéré - stock with some farkles
    - Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense. -

Yes, that we definately will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobie View Post
    Hello!
    We're coming from Namibia this week, driving to Pretoria via Upington and the N14. Is that road (relatively) safe to drive with our bakkie (Nissan NP300)? One hear so much about hijacking of bakkies and we're people at around 60 years of age.
    Advice will be appreciated. Thanks!
    Head on a swivel going through Kuruman and Vryburg. Lots of potholes through some North Wrst towns, especially Sannieshof.

I am one of the older folks and live in joburg, I regularly drive and stop at a intersection that has bee marked as a high crime spot. All the cops did is put a sign up.

Only had one incident ar a traffic light and the perp got a 9mm klap that sent him spinning, could have shot him but after the klap he ran away so fast .....

My advice is to keep enough distance from the vehicle in front of you to be able to get away even if stopped at a traffic light. Avoid quiet and dodgy roads and try to stick to driving busier roads in daylight hours.
    Avoid roads past squatter camps if at all possible and listento the news, regular traffic updates will keep you up to date with spots to avoid.

Kuruman is more dodgy than the N14, one of my main routes that I travel. As said drive it in daylight and don't worry too much.

Be warned Pretoria blou baadjies are bad news do not speed, if the signs say 120 do not go 122 and if it says 80 keep to it no matter how boring it might be
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

I drive the N14 between Centurion and Kuruman probably at least twice a year. N14 road condition is fine for most cars and the NP300 will be fine. As always, just keep an eye out for potholes.

Travelling with two busy children and two dogs, I stop often to get them to stretch legs, but I only stop at Mam's (first link) and then again at the Total at Coligny (second link, their diesel is also cheaper).

https://maps.app.goo.gl/LYkuTJo5ykWgAbuD8

https://maps.app.goo.gl/mNhrwj7KVfTRRbhW7

Komtikie used to be a good stop, but the place has gone for a ball of ... and the bathrooms are in a terrible state. There is also the filling station just outside Ventersdorp which should be OK, but there often seems to be lots of busses and taxis and then getting to a bathroom is a problem (especially for the females).

In my opinion, be very careful when driving through Kuruman. Make sure doors are locked as "they" can sometimes try and pull a door open in dense traffic (happened to us once, but the door was locked and the guy disappeared immediately). Otherwise, just keep an eye on surroundings. But the same can probably be said for alll of the smaller towns with lots of people on foot.

When I need to fill up in Kuruman, I go to the Clatex at the Agrimark in town.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/TcmtmZ1bnfdaNGDB9
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

Oh, and if you have a canopy, best to keep it locked.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2