Default Battery recommendations

My battery has died and I wanted to replace it with a Varta but they are on a 2 weeks lead time here.

Any opinions on Willard or Enertec? They are the same price and the Varta was a little over 10% more. Varta is a brand I am familiar with and I was happy to pay for it, but I can't wait two weeks unfortunately.

Default Re: Battery recommendations

I have always had excellent service from Raylite, my batteries do 7 - 10 years with ease, even in vehicles that stand more than drive.

-F_D
    Eric Skeen is the Family Dog
    White Fang:
    1999 2700i DC Raider 4x4
    Bull Dog: 1987 4Y-EFI 2200 DC 4x4
    Pra Dog: 1998 Prado VX 3.4 V6
    Hound Dog: 2000 2700i SC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Amolkarnik View Post
    My battery has died and I wanted to replace it with a Varta but they are on a 2 weeks lead time here.

Any opinions on Willard or Enertec? They are the same price and the Varta was a little over 10% more. Varta is a brand I am familiar with and I was happy to pay for it, but I can't wait two weeks unfortunately.
    I wouldn't put those two batteries in the same crowd as Varta. They should be substantially cheaper than Varta. I had good service from both. Typical 5 years, like about all car batteries.
    Current - 2009 Mazda BT50 3.0CRDi 4x4 d/c
    Previous - 2005 Ranger 2.5 tdi 4x2 d/c (277 422km)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Spiceman For This Useful Post:

My wife’s Audi came with a Varta,it eventually died after 11 years. Replaced with a Varta again but very important is to have the computer reset to a new battery again otherwise the lifespan will be reduced as it will keep charging as an old battery.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew V9X For This Useful Post:

There is no silver bullet and no hard substantive facts when it comes to batteries, especially car batteries.

If a vehicle comes from the factory with eg Varta (whatever) there is no guarantee that the battery you get at the battery shop is the same specification and quality, even if it is the same brand name and model #

So as long as you stick to the common brands, you will usually be OK.

Just be aware that even within the same brand and battery size and capacity, you usually get different quality and price options.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

If I could get a replacement battery to last more than 2 to 3 years, I would be over the moon. My last one was fine one day and absolutely dead the next. Choosing a day it was pouring with rain.

And then to push start down the hill that I live on didn't work. Jump starting was another mission - first neighbour produced one of these little gadgets that has a little battery of some kind and the car showed it the middle finger.

I was rescued by another neighbour with a great big battery on a trolley. That did the trick.

So my idea of the best approach would be to buy a mid range battery from my local tyre & battery shop, and diarise to replace it after two years, irrespective of current state.

The hassle of a battery suddenly dying in the most inconvenient place is just not worth trying to wring every last bit of life out of your current one.

2015 Suzuki Grand Vitara Summit M/T

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian.McM For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    If I could get a replacement battery to last more than 2 to 3 years, I would be over the moon. My last one was fine one day and absolutely dead the next. Choosing a day it was pouring with rain.

And then to push start down the hill that I live on didn't work. Jump starting was another mission - first neighbour produced one of these little gadgets that has a little battery of some kind and the car showed it the middle finger.

I was rescued by another neighbour with a great big battery on a trolley. That did the trick.

So my idea of the best approach would be to buy a mid range battery from my local tyre & battery shop, and diarise to replace it after two years, irrespective of current state.

The hassle of a battery suddenly dying in the most inconvenient place is just not worth trying to wring every last bit of life out of your current one.
    Mine has died absolutely without warning.

I used to live in the UK and always had Varta or Bosch and it was normal to get 6-8 years out of them even with extreme winter operating conditions. I wonder if it's the extreme heat in SA that lowers battery life. Or batteries being manufactured to a price reducing their quality and operating life?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian.McM View Post
    If I could get a replacement battery to last more than 2 to 3 years, I would be over the moon. My last one was fine one day and absolutely dead the next.

Ditto in all respects above.

Very pleased therefore with the Duratec brand from Naskar, lasted almost 4 years before a cell went.

And that for a very low capacity 40Ah battery, almost daily starting an XV, TWICE.

Cheap too. Paid R995 last month, with old battery exchanged. Comes with 2 year warranty.

Also liked the Varta. No more than 3 years life on the Freelander 2, paid a 50% premium for that privilege.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20231101_203801.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	705418
    Last edited by JJJ; 2023/11/22 at 06:45 AM.
    If my post insulted you, wonder where the smiley went .

Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

Quote Originally Posted by Amolkarnik View Post
    Mine has died absolutely without warning.

I used to live in the UK and always had Varta or Bosch and it was normal to get 6-8 years out of them even with extreme winter operating conditions. I wonder if it's the extreme heat in SA that lowers battery life. Or batteries being manufactured to a price reducing their quality and operating life?
    Heat environment definitely has an impact on battery life. Audi A4 the battery is in the boot. I also did not compromise on a cheaper battery type. Almost R5000 for the battery in place of one of the same amp hrs for about R3000.
    Gate motor batteries definitely have a shorter lifespan when the motor is in direct sunlight all day as opposed to a motor in the shade.