Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Testing battery capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Rough and primitive but extremely useful once you understand your baseline.
    Correct. If I had to post a pic of my battery box I will be torn to shreds here! Lead acids are simple tech, treat it as such.

Victron systems and lithium batteries can also be used simple, but once you get into the R20k bracket for a battery system you really want to optimise it, then monitoring becomes a science.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Testing battery capacity

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Because testing with the bulb on is meaningless without some serious mathematical computations using data which is only available on the manufacturers data sheets. Not to forget the bulbs actual power draw across the actual terminal voltage.
    It involves serios computations using differential calculus.

Unless you are doing a very rough estimation close to a Go/NoGo test.

Is the light bright, dim, very dim, or off.

Having said that, here is the irony, I do actually make a battery tester that uses halogen bulbs.

Edit, and those are not normal car headlight bulbs. And there is more "stuff" than just bulbs.
    Nice test unit for testing at different currents

I also use 2 halogen bulbs in series for testing - gives about 5A at 13.0V For testing, I take voltage and amp readings every 30 minutes, in real time, ie no resting of battery for voltage. Plotting the graph of Volts against time gives a pretty good indication of your battery health, looking at the graph profile.

Calculating your AH used after each reading makes this easy. I've tested a few of our LifePO4 batteries, 100AH and 120AH, and the AH at the end of the test with new batteries is as close as dammit to the theoretical battery capacity

For Lead Acid I only test to just under 12.0V on load and then let the battery rest to compare the rested voltage to the theoretical capacity.
    Mike Lauterbach

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3