Default Buying a second hand bukkie. Can you tell if odometer is correct.

Hi All
    Last week I bought a 2018 Nissan NP 200 diesel bukkie. The odometer read 62 000 km. I test drove the vehicle… seemed good, I checked service history, seemed believable.
    The dealer, I believe reputable, assured me the odometer was correct.
    on my first drive having bought it, the speedo stopped working.
    The odometer too stopped clicking through the kilos.
    About 300 km later, both started working again.
    I now have serious doubts about the accuracy of the odometer. I know for a fact that it is under reading by 300 km.
    Could it be 30 000 or 100 000 under?
    Can there be an innocent explanation.
    In my layman’s thinking, there must have at some stage been some interference with the working mechanism of the odometer.
    I do t have confidence in my new bukkie.

Default Re: Buying a second hand bukkie. Can you tell if odometer is correct.

If the bakkie drives well and is in good condition, does it really matter?
    Old Wheeler

Range Rover Big Body 5.0 V8 Supercharged
    Range Rover Evoque SD4
    Land Rover Defender 110 CSW Puma
    Land Rover Defender 110 V8 Game viewer
    Land Rover Defender 100 PU V8
    Jaguar XJS V12

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bvandyk For This Useful Post:

Nissans are bukkies, everything else bakkies! 😀 or is a bukkie a baby bakkie?
    Last edited by BruceHun; 2023/11/11 at 04:19 PM.
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BruceHun For This Useful Post:

I don't think the problem you are seeing is likely to be the result of nefarious activity.
    It is probably just a bad connection in one of the plugs, most likely the one at the gearbox.

As to whether or not the odo is an accurate reflection of the vehicle's mileage, who knows. It is likely it isn't, but not due to anybody deliberately fiddling with it.

Ic it's really a concern, ask the dealer to put you in contact with the previous owner and fi d out what he used it for.

60k km seems reasonable for a 4-year-old bakkie to me.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2023/11/12 at 06:58 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Take the vin number to Nissan and see if they can see the service history on their system?
    I have met some crazy people. They have made me their leader...

Si vis pacem, para bellum

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thabogrobler For This Useful Post:

Thanks for all input.
    Took vin number for check n all in order.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tannaman For This Useful Post:

On some vehicles the actual mileage gets clocked on the ecu as well. Maybe an avenue to explore?
    Old Wheeler

2023 Mahindra Scorpio-N Z8L 4x4 sponsored by Mahindra JHB South
    2023 Suzuki Ciaz (Swambos platkar)

Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    On some vehicles the actual mileage gets clocked on the ecu as well. Maybe an avenue to explore?
    OK, lets say the vehicle speed is picked up from the gearbox, like most bakkies of the type.

the ecu wouldn't be getting a speed signal either. SO there would be know way of knowing.

It could just be an intermittent poor connection at the plug for the speed sensor.

if there is no signal, there is no way any ECU can know what distance has been traveled.

There is also the possibility this is a once off.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dieselkop For This Useful Post:

I had a Mahindra where the speedometer stopped working around 40 000km. Entire instrument cluster was replaced under warrantee.
    So from then on the odometer always showed 40 000km less than the actual mileage.
    I noted the change in the service book and also advertised it with the correct mileage when I sold it.
    Anyway, as mentioned before, these things happen and not always because of shady tactics.

Does it have an aftermarket radio?

That might sound like a weird question, but when I fitted an aftermarket radio to my Opel Astra many years ago the speedo and odo stopped working. I assumed the plug, being the same type, would have the same pin out. It didn't. The standard radio in the Astra got an input from the speedo to make the radio louder at certain speed points and the aftermarket radio shorted this out or something. I took the radio out and found the speed input and clipped the wire and taped it and bent it away from anything metal.

Hence asking about the radio. It might be that the speed input to the radio is clipped or intermittently getting some weird input from the new radio. If one is fitted, that is.
    2008 KB300 D-TEQ 4x2

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Namakwalander For This Useful Post:

Very interesting re radio as one has just been fitted.
    The agency that sold it to me are checking it out on Friday.
    I don’t believe there is anything unethical involved.
    thanks so much for all your considered input. Amazing.

Persoonlik tel km lesing niks vir my. Toestand van voertuig ( bakwerk, bekleedsel, engine en drivetrain) is alles. Solank voertuig elke 6 maande n olie vervanging, en elke jaar n olie en filter diens kry/gehad het, is dit genoeg en tel baie meer. Hoë km lesing vir ouderdom het ook sy voordeel: voertuig het meestal op temp gery, en minder koud waar meeste van slytasie voorkom.

Ek vat liewers bv n netjiese 2015 met baie km as n onnet 2017 met min km op vir selfde prys (solank hulle beide in selfde shape is).
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

As one needs to have cam belt service at 90 000, it would be good to know the actual mileage. I know very little about mechanics so have services when due and hope for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaman View Post
    As one needs to have cam belt service at 90 000, it would be good to know the actual mileage. I know very little about mechanics so have services when due and hope for the best.
    Ah, my fout. Ek ry meestal timing gear en nie timing belt nie.
    My paar timing belt engins se belde word elke diens gekyk vir toestand.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannaman View Post
    At the cost of fixing what can break, I think it's a pretty good idea to replace a timing belt whenever one buys a used vehicle.

But in this case (where the mileage is not absolutely certain) I would definitely reccomend just doing it.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).