Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 67
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    59
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 53

    Default R21 Highway falling apart ...

    This morning on my way to work I collected another chip on the windscreen of my car ! The windscreen already looks like something out of a war movie, but I decided I will not change it until I cannot drive safely with it it.
    The road between Olifantsfontein and the airport is in such a bad state that you cannot drive in certain lanes, and stones are thrown up every where.
    Apart from the 80% of idiot road users using this road, the road itself is now becoming a safety hazard... and SANRAL still expect you to pay for the privilege of driving on this POS !!! But what ticked me off this morning, was a news item that SANRAL did not spend 50% of their allocated budget for road maintenance. The idiocy of this government and its agents is unbelievable... !

  2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Optimus-Prime For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Ruimsig
    Age
    60
    Posts
    8,796
    Thanked: 45554

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Is it not gravel dropped from trucks? Lots of construction along that route
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

    ''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

    Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Generator Park
    Posts
    395
    Thanked: 210

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    I drive the R21 and R24 on a daily basis. Windscreen chips aplenty.

    I drive with a roll of wide sellotape in the cubby. As soon as humanly possible, I wipe clean around the chip and stick a piece of clear tape over the chip.

    When I have 3 or 4 chips (also dependent on where the chip / chips are), I phone my chip repairer and he comes to my house and repairs the chips. 99,9% of the time, you cannot even see where the chip was.

    Key is to cover the chip with sellotape ASAP so that no dust / air / water goes in and a crack starts running.

    (I also see you get round clear stickers from windscreen replacement places to stick over a chip.)

    Will gladly share the number of the chip repairer should you wish to give him a call.


  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alan Ellis For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    pretoria
    Age
    41
    Posts
    671
    Thanked: 162

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Between pomona and airport I replaced my 7th windscreen this year on friday
    2020 Toyota Landcruiser 200 GX-R
    2018 Range rover sport
    2017 BMW M4

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pieter_fourie For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,067
    Thanked: 1344

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    I also travelled it last night and got a ping from a stone on the side of my car. No Estee, the top layer is coming away bit by bit. I really feel sorry for my platkar travelling that road.

    What did South Africa have before gravel roads - tarred roads, sad but true.
    ....

  9. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tom13 For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Durban
    Age
    69
    Posts
    891
    Thanked: 1426

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom13 View Post
    I also travelled it last night and got a ping from a stone on the side of my car. No Estee, the top layer is coming away bit by bit. I really feel sorry for my platkar travelling that road.

    What did South Africa have before gravel roads - tarred roads, sad but true.

    Hmm, I am sure there are more knowledgeable people than I on the forum but sounds like it could be a poorly constructed, old or badly designed seal (bitumen emulsion and bitumen coated smallish stone) applied as part of the maintenance or rehabilitation of the surfacing. These things are somewhat specialized and need experienced design and application. I will say no more.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion / Lagos Nigeria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,191
    Thanked: 555

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Hmm, I am sure there are more knowledgeable people than I on the forum but sounds like it could be a poorly constructed, old or badly designed seal (bitumen emulsion and bitumen coated smallish stone) applied as part of the maintenance or rehabilitation of the surfacing. These things are somewhat specialized and need experienced design and application. I will say no more.
    The R21 was paved with a 20mm UTFC - Ultra Thin Friction Course - on top of the medium asphalt as part of the GFIP Projects

    Picture from the web
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	utfc 1.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	12.5 KB 
ID:	704113  
    Last edited by 280iNyati; 2023/11/09 at 02:42 PM.
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to 280iNyati For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    59
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    There is no doubt that the build quality was below par, in some places where the strips of tar has lifted, you can see the old painted markings. Normally if a road is resurfaced, the top layer is skimmed off to get the newly applied tar something to attach to. Obviously this was not done so as to maximize profits for the cadres....! A few truckloads of asphalt, slap it on an old road with as little effort as possible and viola, a new modern toll road that the cadres can milk billions from !!!

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus-Prime For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,917
    Thanked: 9630

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime View Post
    There is no doubt that the build quality was below par, in some places where the strips of tar has lifted, you can see the old painted markings. Normally if a road is resurfaced, the top layer is skimmed off to get the newly applied tar something to attach to. Obviously this was not done so as to maximize profits for the cadres....! A few truckloads of asphalt, slap it on an old road with as little effort as possible and viola, a new modern toll road that the cadres can milk billions from !!!
    Maybe the problem was that they used tar?
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Linden
    Posts
    2,499
    Thanked: 6968

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Use to replace 3 windscreens min a year when I travelled Pretoria - Boksburg

  17. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion / Lagos Nigeria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,191
    Thanked: 555

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime View Post
    There is no doubt that the build quality was below par, in some places where the strips of tar has lifted, you can see the old painted markings. Normally if a road is resurfaced, the top layer is skimmed off to get the newly applied tar something to attach to. Obviously this was not done so as to maximize profits for the cadres....! A few truckloads of asphalt, slap it on an old road with as little effort as possible and viola, a new modern toll road that the cadres can milk billions from !!!
    3x well-known and established Construction Companies constructed the R21 GFIP sections as per an approved design done by a Consulting Engineering Firm and the QA process was run as per ISO
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to 280iNyati For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,917
    Thanked: 9630

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    3x well-known and established Construction Companies constructed the R21 GFIP sections as per an approved design done by a Consulting Engineering Firm and the QA process was run as per ISO
    When was this? Year?
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

  20. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Linden
    Posts
    2,499
    Thanked: 6968

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    When was this? Year?
    14-16 years ago

  21. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion / Lagos Nigeria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,191
    Thanked: 555

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    When was this? Year?
    2008 - 2011
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

  22. #15
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,917
    Thanked: 9630

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    2008 - 2011
    15yrs!
    Then that overlay lasted very well!
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:


  24. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Centurion / Lagos Nigeria
    Age
    49
    Posts
    1,191
    Thanked: 555

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    The R21 was widened towards the median, the existing road surface and base course defects were rectified, and the whole width of the road was then paved with 42mm medium asphalt to improve ride quality, followed by the 20mm UTFC layer
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 280iNyati For This Useful Post:


  26. #17
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    40
    Posts
    1,176
    Thanked: 1185

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    A couple of months ago, I was on my way back to the airport with a brand new (sub 500km on the clock) Polo TSI DSG rental.

    Got a chip in the windscreen just before the airport.

    Not my fault, but I still felt bad.
    Current: Mercedes-Benz ML350 4Matic

    SWAMBO: 2020 Renault Koleos 2.5 Dynamique

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kix For This Useful Post:


  28. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    59
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    3x well-known and established Construction Companies constructed the R21 GFIP sections as per an approved design done by a Consulting Engineering Firm and the QA process was run as per ISO
    In South Africa that means very little. On the contrary, it seems the bigger and more renowned the companies are, the better the chances are for corruption ! There was plenty of rumours about companies like M... & R....

    Do you honestly believe that there is nothing wrong with the initial construction of that stretch of road..?

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Optimus-Prime For This Useful Post:


  30. #19
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    East London
    Age
    72
    Posts
    4,917
    Thanked: 9630

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus-Prime View Post
    In South Africa that means very little. On the contrary, it seems the bigger and more renowned the companies are, the better the chances are for corruption ! There was plenty of rumours about companies like M... & R....

    Do you honestly believe that there is nothing wrong with the initial construction of that stretch of road..?
    No comment.
    You obviously know much more about the industry than I do.
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:


  32. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Kemptonpark
    Age
    59
    Posts
    19
    Thanked: 53

    Default Re: R21 Highway falling apart ...

    Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    No comment.
    You obviously know much more about the industry than I do.
    No comment.
    You obviously cannot answer me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •