Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by dieterf View Post
    Why, what does it deter?
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...es-at-Gharagab
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

The world of camping according to Trish (SWAMBO):

Upon arrival at a campsite, her chair will be set up in a shady spot, and a suitable beverage placed in her hand.

She will then supervise all camp set-up matters from the comfort of her chair, and her word is law.

Striking camp will follow the same procedure, in reverse.
    Last edited by Imvubu; 2023/11/02 at 02:08 PM.
    Erin Bosch (082 342 1909)
    4xfagger no. GP0048

2012 VW T5 2.0BiTdi 132kW 4Mot Transporter

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Imvubu For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post

Upon arrival at a campsite, her chair will be set up in a shady spot, and a suitable beverage placed in her hand.

She will then supervise all camp set-up matters from the comfort of her chair, and her word is law.

Liana normally does help. But I think she was not in the mood to help pack up on Sunday. "Hence the let us break our foot" thing...
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

8. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Was it the same reason you decided to play with a bee?
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

Quote Originally Posted by Imvubu View Post

Reverse?, do you take the chair then ?
    Last edited by Dungbeetle; 2023/11/02 at 04:38 PM.
    Donít blame yourself over past mistakes. Itís like driving down the N1 while looking in the rear view mirror only.

2000 Patrol GU 4.2D(onkey) "old-timer" chugging along towards 900 000 km, almost.
    2014 Patrol GU 3.0CRD "teenager" in puberty - 160 000 km
    2007 Echo3 Trailer "the nest" with Braked Axle fitted + 265/75/R16 rubber on Patrol Rims!
    Ewiks Caravan Movers now fitted to trailer, lekkerrrr - I should have done that long ago. AND 2.6kW lifepo4 in trailer, 3.1kW lifepo4 in NL box with WRN MPPT/DCtiDF in Patrol, 2x1kW in small packs with MPPC/ DCtoDC as backup in case , all self built, 480W panels Victron MPPT and 220V 25A IP67 charger
    2012 NP300 YD2.5 D/C 2x4 High Rider "platkar" - 158 000 km

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dungbeetle For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Emmie L View Post
    Was it the same reason you decided to play with a bee?
    I beat her hands down in hospital this year. I had a 'casualty weekend' on Easter weekend when I broke my foot. And then a few days on the last weekend with the bee.

She has had this Sunday....

Edit: And I was not camping that weekend. I was actually driving through to Brooklyn to collect a cupboard for her when I was stung...
    Last edited by iandvl; 2023/11/02 at 04:45 PM.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

Use an "Capsize bottle" The type that is used on small craft.

Quote Originally Posted by Mosasa View Post
    Sometimes it the small things that can make a big difference in our 4x4ing lives.

What small tips and tricks have you learned over the years while busy with your trips etc?

For example - we use a big plastic bucket with a lid that fits tightly as our washing machine. Put some water and soap in the bucket, pop your dirty washing into the bucket and seal properly. Then load the bucket securely into the back of the vehicle and the days driving, rocking and rolling does your washing for you. When you are ready, take your clothes out, rinse and hang to dry.

Any wise old owls out there with more ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by dilligafrican View Post
    We use a capsize bottle as they seal completely and can handle pressure generated by warm water. Drive today with it, change water when at camp and drive again to rinse.
    I made this cage for a customer to hold 2 of those bottles. It fits onto the swingarm of the spare wheel carrier. He has 2 swingarms on the vehicle, so he uses one for the spare and the other for bottles or firewood. It has a lockable strap over the top to stop things from being liberated. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210316_101003.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	703538Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210316_101019.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	703539
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Home from Home)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

We use these we bought some moons ago next too the road for like R50. But you need bad corrugated road or serious off road terrain to work. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20231102_190244_Chrome.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	703541

Sent from my SM-A336E using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Mosasa View Post
    Sometimes it the small things that can make a big difference in our 4x4ing lives.

What small tips and tricks have you learned over the years while busy with your trips etc?

For example - we use a big plastic bucket with a lid that fits tightly as our washing machine. Put some water and soap in the bucket, pop your dirty washing into the bucket and seal properly. Then load the bucket securely into the back of the vehicle and the days driving, rocking and rolling does your washing for you. When you are ready, take your clothes out, rinse and hang to dry.

Any wise old owls out there with more ideas?
    Many moons ago, we bought a nice 20l bucket with sealed lid in Luderitz for washing. We also bought a carton of camel cigarettes in the same store and put it into the bucket. At the camp site (Shark Island), we dumped our dirty clothing into the bucket. The next morning we were heading off further north, so filled the bucket with water and some Omo.

When we arrived at the next campsite, we opened the bucket and drained the dirty water, and added fresh water and rinsed the clothes. While rinsing, we discovered something hard at the bottom - our Camel filter carton! We were just about finished with our ciggies, so hastily opened the carton, hoping that it was properly sealed. It was not, and Omo flavoured water had seeped into the carton and individual packs. Not completely soggy, but wet enough. Being far away from any further supplies, we opened each pack and let the ciggies dry in the sun. They tasted horrible, but were better than nothing, as we were not willing to give up smoking at that time.

But back on topic, this bucket worked very well. Rinsing was a bit of a schlepp if we did not have another drive for rinsing, but was not too bad. Clothes certainly were very clean.

A bad tip: We loved taking some whiskey along as well, but the glass bottles were no good on the rough roads. So, on one trip to Namibia, I had our domestic wash one of my 5l Castrol oil containers, over a period of a month or so, as they were masters at cleaning these type of containers for use of their own water containers. The beauty of using these containers was that they were hardy and indestructible, plus no possible customs when passing through the border post.

But alas, when we poured our first dop at our first camp site, the taste of Surf was there. Not overwhelming, but nasty enough. The whiskey was promptly renamed Surfsky, and was promptly replaced with glass bottles at some bottle store in Windhoek, our next stop. I can't remember what we did with the nearly full, expensive 5l Castrol container...

A real tip, which many use, is to pack plenty of paper towelling. To preserve washing up water, wipe all your plates with towelling before washing. Not much water is then needed to wash your plates and cutlery. Burn the paper in your campfire.

Another tip for showers: The best showers are bucket showers, where water conservation is concerned, not these fancy gas heated showers. Heat the water using your preferred method, eg in a bucket, jerry can or kettle next to your camp fire, or on a gas stove, and then fill your bucket shower, mixing in cold water for the perfect temperature. No wasting of water is necessary to find an acceptable shower temperature. One bucket shower at ideal temp is enough for 2 people.
    Mike Lauterbach

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mikeml View Post
    A real tip, which many use, is to pack plenty of paper towelling. To preserve washing up water, wipe all your plates with towelling before washing. Not much water is then needed to wash your plates and cutlery. Burn the paper in your campfire.
    River sand works even better.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    rubber floor mats double up as traction tracks when getting out of a bogged down in thick hot stand situation.
    My colleague borrowed my trailer, got stuck in the sand and used all my braai grids to get traction out the sand...... go going again and then left them behind !!

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealan For This Useful Post:

Replace your wheel spanner with a power bar and impact socket
    Hilux 2700i 4x4 D/C

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WayneB For This Useful Post:

Grease and oil on your hands after tinkering?
    Sunlight in your hand and add some sugar to wash
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4, 2017 XL Auto 4x4, Ex Haval H9
    Ex 320d, Maz MPS, CITI Golf, Anglia Van

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Check your wheel temperatures when you stop for whatever. Temp should be warm to hot if subjected to heavy braking but still just touchable. I use a hand held laser temp meter. Normally 47*C to 55"C max. Also uneven temp from L/R indicates bad brake adjustment / operation.
    Peter
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,

SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sneaky Pete For This Useful Post:

If you are like me and can't stand dirty hands, and don't wear gloves, especially the black of diesel engine oil in every crack and blemish, two tips:

1. Before you start the work, rub a liberal amount of dishwasher soap into your hands, until they feel 'dry', albeit a bit sticky.

2. After the job is done, wash hands, and then mix hand creme and dishwasher soap and smear onto hands.
    Put on plastic or latex gloves. Pour a bit of warm into the gloves.
    Place rubber bands around your wrists.
    Leave as long as possible (at least an hour).
    If your hands feel dry, add some more water.

Hand cleaners work, but dry your skin out.
    Last edited by 4ePajero; 2023/11/06 at 06:18 PM.
    God gave us reason, not religion
    2003 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.2 Di-d LWB

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 4ePajero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 4ePajero View Post
    If you are like me and can't stand dirty hands, and don't wear gloves, especially the black of diesel engine oil in every crack and blemish, two tips:

1. Before you start the work, rub a liberal amount of dishwasher soap intk your hands, until they feel 'dry', albeit a bit sticky.

2. After the job is done, wash hands, and then mix hand creme and dishwasher soap and smear onto hands.

I canít work out if this is a piss-take or not?
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

31. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

1. Before you start the work, rub a liberal amount of dishwasher soap into your hands, until they feel 'dry', albeit a bit sticky.

It's much easier to use a product called "Liquid Glove" that you rub onto your hands before starting a dirty job.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes theyíre already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Jurgens Xplorer (Home from Home)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

33. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Paul#25 For This Useful Post:

I'm probably not as sensitive, but the cheap hand cleaner I get with the little scrubbing things in it have never dried my hands out...

Even if hand cleaners did, I would just use them anyway and live with the dry hands. #be-a-man.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast