Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Botter | Butter

Default Re: Botter | Butter

All that is left is to shape the butter. If you making only enough for use for a few days you may want to allocate a little glass dish of your preferred size and shape to permanent use and put the butter in it, stick it in the fridge and call it done. I like to use small bowls and take out a fresh one every few days as I finish the previous.

If you like the more traditional pound of butter look you can use a butter mould. If you have butter pats you would shape the butter using the pats (your spatula will do the trick brilliantly. No need to waste money on pats unless you want to play around with it or make huge volumes). Stick it in the mould. Cool it down. Unmould. Wrap in paper and stick in the fridge.

So you can see there's not much 'work' involved. The churning is the worst part and unless you are the one that is turning the handle there's hardly anything to do. Even the rinsing is relatively fast and not painful.

Of course, there are many roads to Rome in this case. Others are free to chime in on how they do it. It would be interesting to hear.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

And if you forgot to put salt in the butter, make some ghee

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bushtech37 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by bushtech37 View Post
    And if you forgot to put salt in the butter, make some ghee
    You could. Ghee is clarified butter. Where again the solids have been separated from the fat. I have never really explored ghee to any meaningful extent, although it's used extensively on portions of the planet.

I have forgotten to salt butter, but to me it's not that big a deal, though salted butter obviously is nicer. If it's in something where I can taste it I can just add salt.
    I have never really seen the point of unsalted butter though. How often do we bake something so delicate that your palate would even detect the salt in the butter? I think it's mostly a leftover in recipes from the 70s when salt was vilified terribly and food fear was introduced about it. Low fat, low sodium. Heart attack city. I can understand if you are on a low sodium diet. You can then at least flavour it with some other salt substitute.
    Aristotle wrote; ''Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution. It represents the wise choice of many alternatives. Choice, not chance, determines your destiny''

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

The really interesting about ghee is its high boiling point, makes it very useful

Quote Originally Posted by bushtech37 View Post
    The really interesting about ghee is its high boiling point, makes it very useful
    Not sure if there is a boiling point.

Rather the smoking point. Clarified Butter is at 230°, Peanut Oil 230°, Soybean Oil 230° and Sunflower Oil at 225°.
    Kobus

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    I am not going to comment on post#13 - I am not going to comment on post#13 - I am not going to comment on post#13
    WhahaHAAAAAA!!!!!!!!

POST OF THE WEEK!
    Ettienne de Kock

"ASK YOURSELF HOW OLD YOU'D BE IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW THE DATE YOU WERE BORN" - Toby Keith

2000 Disco Td5
    2018 Honda Accord 2.2 diesel burner

Quote Originally Posted by iandvl View Post
    Right. So you are technically correct....

But.... I would prefer my butter palatable. So salt for me during churning. Thanks...
    If l understand the process correctly, adding the salt to the cream before retards emulsification. Wat beteken jy moet die slingertjie langer draai.
    I add the salt after rinsing out the buttermilk.

You have to manipulate it anyway to make sure all the excess moisture is out. And it's still very soft. So no problem adding the salt then.

The salt also acts as a preservative, so you don't want it down the drain, but in the butter.

Along the lines of Betty Botter bought butter, the butter was bitter...

If you are buying butter, take a second to read the label. It should contain only 2 items. Cream and salt. Other add ins don't belong there and you may want to reconsider getting that brand.

Butter doesn't need stabilizing or colouring or additional preservatives. So why is it present? Not for the consumer's benefit. That's for sure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Emmie L this actually came up in conversation this weekend - we were in the platteland where we bought unpasteurised milk at the plaaswinkel and the conversation turned to the family farm and separator, etc.

(Excuse the stupid questions...)

Can one just buy normal pasteurised cream in the shop and make butter from it? I suppose it might be more expensive than bought butter but just to do the exercise? Or should it be the unpasteurised cream?

Thinking now, if it is the "raw" milk as from the cow, how does the process differ? I know with the seperator it separates the milk form the cream, but using your shake or whisk methods? It's a bit excessive to get a separator for a once-off experiment

Thanks.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

On trip through Kaokoland we had a 1l long life cream in the trailer. At some point I made Malva pudding and when I wanted to use the cream the corrugations turned it into butter.

We washed and salted it and that was our butter until we got the next shop.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

083 399 2046

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Emmie L this actually came up in conversation this weekend - we were in the platteland where we bought unpasteurised milk at the plaaswinkel and the conversation turned to the family farm and separator, etc.

Can one just buy normal pasteurised cream in the shop and make butter from it? I suppose it might be more expensive than bought butter but just to do the exercise? Or should it be the unpasteurised cream?

Thinking now, if it is the "raw" milk as from the cow, how does the process differ? I know with the seperator it separates the milk form the cream, but using your shake or whisk methods? It's a bit excessive to get a separator for a once-off experiment

Thanks.
    Oops. This is what you get for not communicating clearly. I was talking about using cream from the shop, which is what us townies have access to.

I will make two separate posts, one talking about pasteurised vs raw and one talking about fresh from the cow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

How life changes! A pages long thread about something that was an everyday task when I was a child. Never even gave the process a second thought!

I guess there must be a number of similar things which used to be SOP at the time and is now a novelty.
    There is never a right time to do the wrong thing and never a wrong time to do the right thing!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Pasteurized cream vs unpasteurized cream

This is going to sound a little bit big pharma woo woo. There is actually some truth there, not the truth a lot of people think.

Back in the day when the milk was delivered with the milk lorry and cold rooms were the in thing everyone drank unpasteurized milk. Then innovation came and a refrigerator entered every house. Milk was still delivered. I'm sure some of you still remember the milk bottles with the little tokens that you put out on your front steps.

Then the housewives started sleeping a little later, the milk stood in the morning sun and there were a few instances of ill health. This was bound to poor management, nothing else. This was the height of food fear. Fat was evil. Butter was evil. Margarine was the new wonder invention. Everything needed to be pasteurized to kill the bacteria that could make people ill. All dairy was suddenly subject to pasteurization and it was illegal to buy unpasteurized dairy products. Of course it had nothing to do with profits and shelf life and all that. No, it was all the evil bacteria. Brucellosis became the boogey man and if anyone spoke up against this, they were seen as the one who would let brucellosis in the gate.

So wait, we invented fridges to keep milk fresher for longer and then in reaction decided to kill the milk and drink dead milk? That's not weird at all. If you consume unpasteurized dairy products there is a real risk that you can develop brucellosis. Therefore educate yourself on the symptoms and be alert to them. If you note them go to the doctor immediately and get antibiotic treatment for it. But wait... antibiotics work for brucellosis. So we abuse antibiotics for snot noses where it can't effect anything, but we must prevent this. Again, not weird at all. You can tell this is one of the illogical things where people accept the narrative even though it doesn't fit the facts and it irritates me. Sorry for the rant.

It turns out that only a small percentage of people that are lactose intolerant are lactose intolerant to unpasteurized milk. Maybe because it's not dead and contains the beneficial bacteria that we pasteurized out of it. If the dairy maintains clean practices (which are inspected by the way) there is very low risk in unpasteurized dairy with the technology currently available to us. The reasons around pasteurization have become political in nature in my view.

Yes, you can make butter from pasteurized cream. No mess no fuss.
    You can equally make butter from unpasteurized cream. Unpasteurized just tastes significantly better.

Weight the risks and make your decision. One can find unpasteurized cream again, even in the big city. But please educate yourself and understand the risk that you are taking.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    How life changes! A pages long thread about something that was an everyday task when I was a child. Never even gave the process a second thought!

I guess there must be a number of similar things which used to be SOP at the time and is now a novelty.
    Yup. It's sad how we have been bamboozled to think certain products are unobtainable at home and too complex to make ourselves and we are better off buying it. That then becomes the truth because the raw materials become scarcer due to low demand. And you know very well how ridiculously easy it is to make butter.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post

For sure, I also had to turn that red seperator's handle until my arms were paste.

But that was then, this is now.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

Butter fresh from the cow

Won't happen.

The milk is cow body temperature when it leaves the cow, so the milk solids and fats are more dissolved in the solution. Which means you are going to get less cream out. Also remember that cows don't produce a consistent amount of milk throughout the year. Seasons affect how much and what milk they produce. After milking late afternoon, you are going to leave the milk in the bucket overnight with a melkdoek over it. The cream is going to rise to the top and you are going to be left with a lovely layer of cream on top. Cows don't produce skim or low fat milk. That is a money making invention preying on people's strange food ideologies.

If you are processing large volumes of milk for cream it's going into the separator, otherwise you are going to skim the cream off the top the old fashioned way. There is no need for special tools if you are going to scoop the cream of the bucket just to try it out. As soon as the cream layer is removed from the milk you can use it to make butter. No special treatment needed.

This is really simple stuff.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Why does some cream becomes whipped cream and other butter?
    Kobus

Whipped cream is on its way to becoming butter. That is why we are warned not to whip cream too long or over whip it. Instead of partially emulsifying with lots of air which makes it puff up and pillowy, it will completely emulsify, the air bubbles collapse and it becomes a solid mass. No takesies backsies. Soft peaks, stiff peaks, butter.

So be careful of watered down cream products on the shelf that doesn't contain enough butterfat to whip. (Pouring cream is a term that comes to mind). You will whip and whip but instead of getting fluffy peaks you will end up with pale anemic looking butter. I'm sure that has happened to one or two of us somewhere along the line. It should be a warning to you if the cream doesn't start to increase in volume when you whip by the time you expect it to that it's not going to. Rather stop and use it as pouring cream. It doesn't have enough butterfat.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emmie L For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KobusDJ View Post
    Ek onthoiu iets van water wat deurgeknie is om die laaste bietjie karringmelk uit te was ? ?

Dalk onhou ek verkeerd

Jy onthou reg

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post

Thanks.
    yes you can, done it many times. Only thing is the cream is concentrated, virtually no butter milk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast