Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thumbs up The road to Die Hel (Gamkaskloof)

Hi guys, I'm currently in Gamkaskloof (Die Hel), what an awesome place. The road is currently a 4x4 enthusiast's dream, some nice techically challenging sections. I highly recommend a visit and a must to sleep over. The weather is perfect, clear skies, no wind and not hot. I have shared some more photos of the road on the Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gamkaskloof
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20231028_151915.jpg 
Views:	437 
Size:	470.5 KB 
ID:	703292  
    Last edited by Kevin van Blerk; 2023/11/02 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Change Title

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Kevin van Blerk For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The road to Hell

Was ook bevoorreg om die pas te ry in 2016......Baie imigrante op fietse gekry asook plaaslike inwoners met gewone platkarre. Maar dit bly n lekker pas om te ry veral die laaste gedeelte af tot onder in die vallei. Seker meer uitdagend na al die reen.

Just take note that there are 2 roads often confused.
    1. Die hel - Gamkaskloof
    2. The road to hell - Vioolsdrif

The latter is not to be attempted without proper preparation and skill.

https://www.mountainpassessouthafric...d-to-hell.html

You are referring to number 1, “the road to die hel”

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    1. Die hel - Gamkaskloof

I got excited when reading the thread title...
    and then uhm....its just not the same,

Quote Originally Posted by LandyLove View Post
    1. Die hel - Gamkaskloof

I go to the Richtersveld a few times a year - have been down and back up Road To Hell many times in the last 15 years in both 4X4s and motorbikes ... I would say the road is impassable now since the big rains and extreme erosion from the water a few months ago ... so much water came down that big sections of the N7 tar "Vyfmylpoort" winding road for the last few km before the SA / Nam border was washed away ... the Road To Hell is only doable now in some serious kind of monster truck with massive articulation and the most lockers you can fit on a 4X4

So ...

I have started building a serious kind of monster truck with massive articulation and the most lockers you can fit on a 4X4

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Just Bend It For This Useful Post:

Default Re: The road to Die Hel (Gamkaskloof)

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin van Blerk View Post
    Hi guys, I'm currently in Gamkaskloof (Die Hel), what an awesome place. The road is currently a 4x4 enthusiast's dream, some nice techically challenging sections. I highly recommend a visit and a must to sleep over. The weather is perfect, clear skies, no wind and not hot. I have shared some more photos of the road on the Gamkaskloof (Die Hel) Facebook page here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/gamkaskloof
    Great trip to do but no 4x4 required, just good ground clearance except perhaps recommended in very wet conditions.

Earlier this year....

Robert van den Berg
    Old Wheeler

“The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

And Die Top…
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7815.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	703816   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7818.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	35.8 KB 
ID:	703817   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7808.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	82.8 KB 
ID:	703818  

Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    And Die Top…
    I have always viewed the Swartberg Pass and Gamkas Kloof as two separate roads

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hedgehog For This Useful Post:

That must have messed up your trip when you met that Espresso Cant wait to go!
    Last edited by Hans Christian; 2023/11/06 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hans Christian View Post
    That must have messed up your trip when you met that Espresso Cant wait to go!
    "Don't be gentle, it's a rental!"
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

Quote Originally Posted by Langjan View Post
    Great trip to do but no 4x4 required, just good ground clearance except perhaps recommended in very wet conditions.
    Edit: I would not take the chance without 4x4 in that valley.

I have been there when it has started raining when we started going down into the valley.
    Last edited by Hedgehog; 2023/11/06 at 07:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin van Blerk View Post

Some useless information. I was going to participate in a MTB event this coming weekend 11 and 12 Dec from de Rust up Swartberg Pass and on to Gamkaskloof to overnight, before cycling 'down' on Sunday (1850m up and 2250m down!). Decided not to do it because I was worried the roads after the recent bad weather would make it even tougher than it already is. It will have to wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by benningm View Post
    Some useless information. I was going to participate in a MTB event this coming weekend 11 and 12 Dec from de Rust up Swartberg Pass and on to Gamkaskloof to overnight, before cycling 'down' on Sunday (1850m up and 2250m down!). Decided not to do it because I was worried the roads after the recent bad weather would make it even tougher than it already is. It will have to wait until next year.
    Not to be missed. I did a little small group jaunt that included the Seweweekskloof and Bosluiskloof Passes, the Gamkapoort dam (stayed at the cottages), back out and down Die Leer to overnight at Die Hel then out up the pass, down to Prince Albert. A great experience, some very tough (for me anyway) climbs but not to be missed as I say.

Cool Re: The road to Die Hel (Gamkaskloof)

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Not to be missed. I did a little small group jaunt that included the Seweweekskloof and Bosluiskloof Passes, the Gamkapoort dam (stayed at the cottages), back out and down Die Leer to overnight at Die Hel then out up the pass, down to Prince Albert. A great experience, some very tough (for me anyway) climbs but not to be missed as I say.
    I assume that was on MTB's? Next month I'm going to park my caravan at Op-die Plaas at the top of Seweweekspoort for a few days and I intend to drive from there through Bosluiskloof to Gamkaskloof Dam, but I am told I cannot drive beyond that to get to Die Hel? Can you confirm that? As an aside (since this is a 4 x 4 site!) I will also cycle Seweweekspoort Pass and might even cycle through to die Hel from Op-die-Plaas as well.

Quote Originally Posted by benningm View Post
    I assume that was on MTB's? Next month I'm going to park my caravan at Op-die Plaas at the top of Seweweekspoort for a few days and I intend to drive from there through Bosluiskloof to Gamkaskloof Dam, but I am told I cannot drive beyond that to get to Die Hel? Can you confirm that? As an aside (since this is a 4 x 4 site!) I will also cycle Seweweekspoort Pass and might even cycle through to die Hel from Op-die-Plaas as well.

Yes it was MTB and, as far as I know, it is a dead end at the dam; there was a road apparently but been cut off (and that was a few years ago). Man to contact is old Foxy (zero seven two 925 8421) who runs the cottages at the dam (see the Nick Yell article current in N24) but reception there is very poor.

Die Hel is also a dead end unless you get permission from the land owner to ascend / descend Die Leer (which is carrying the bike, not riding).

Last time I went down there the wifey said thats it, never again.
    Reason being the cars (some with trailers) coming up the pass the moment there is nowhere to let them pass.
    Also a couple of years ago a family was badly hurt when their vehicle fell down the mountain.
    Dont think the father made it.
    So no more die hell for me.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2023/11/21 at 10:08 AM.

We were there 3 weekends ago. Road is damaged on some places due to heavy rain and has a lot of rocks on the road that came down the mountain that makes it a bit narrow in some places. But nothing serious. We went with the caravan, with the help of 2 cars in front with radios making sure we did not get oncoming traffic in a bad spot.

Coming back, one place where I had to go VERY slow uphill just to make sure we did not scratch the caravan on the rocks, I was glad for the low range, with my total weight at 5 tons.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DieHel.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	704479

Name:	DieHel2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	704480

Name:	DieHel3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	704481
    Last edited by DirkL; 2023/11/13 at 10:34 AM.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (For the uninformed: It has adjustable height, low-range and 2 diff locks)
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DirkL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DirkL View Post
    We were there 3 weekends ago. Road is damaged on some places due to heavy rain and has a lot of rocks on the road that came down the mountain that makes it a bit narrow in some places. But nothing serious. We went with the caravan, with the help of 2 cars in front with radios making sure we did not get oncoming traffic in a bad spot.

Coming back, one place where I had to go VERY slow uphill just to make sure we did not scratch the caravan on the rocks, I was glad for the low range, with my total weight at 5 tons.

Name:	DieHel.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	429.0 KB 
ID:	704479

Name:	DieHel2.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	704480

Name:	DieHel3.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	168.9 KB 
ID:	704481
    I chatted to the guy in the Jeep. He was super friendly. He reminded me of Richard Rawlings. Then I saw the Fortuner with the trailer and then I saw the Merc with caravan. I realized the Jeep must have been in radio comms with you. I had been told the road was bad, but after I saw you coming out I knew I would be fine going in. I really enjoyed the two nights we had in Die Hel. Great drive. Very nice camp site.
    Mark Prutton

Quote Originally Posted by Prune View Post
    I chatted to the guy in the Jeep. He was super friendly. He reminded me of Richard Rawlings. Then I saw the Fortuner with the trailer and then I saw the Merc with caravan. I realized the Jeep must have been in radio comms with you. I had been told the road was bad, but after I saw you coming out I knew I would be fine going in. I really enjoyed the two nights we had in Die Hel. Great drive. Very nice camp site.
    Awesome! Small world.

Yes, I would not have done it without the Radio comms, that would have been looking for serious trouble.

I think we got it at the best time. Very green after all the rain, perfect temperature, very little wind.
    Dirk Lombard
    2009 Mercedes-Benz GL350cdi (For the uninformed: It has adjustable height, low-range and 2 diff locks)
    2016 BMW i3 (Full Electric)
    2021 Conqueror Commander Platinum

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DirkL For This Useful Post: