Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Travel Zambia with three kids

Hello
    we are planning a trip through Namibia and Zambia. In Zambia we have about 20 days, coming from Vicfalls. We have a hilux with roof tent and 3 kids (2,7,8). We dont want to drive long distances.
    I plan:
    from Livingstone to Lochinvar NP --> is it worth?
    -going on to Lusaka then in Blue Lagoon NP --> is it worth?
    - M9 into west to Kafue
    - in the NP down the Kafue River south to Itezhi
    - going east to Namwala and than back to Livingstone

Any advices? tipps for campsites? what about safety with kids and wild animals?

Thank you very much

greetings

Thomas

Default Re: Travel Zambia with three kids

Quote Originally Posted by thomaswiessner View Post
    Hello
    we are planning a trip through Namibia and Zambia. In Zambia we have about 20 days, coming from Vicfalls. We have a hilux with roof tent and 3 kids (2,7,8). We dont want to drive long distances.
    I plan:
    - M9 into west to Kafue

Thank you very much

greetings

Thomas
    I have not heard any good reports from Blue Lagoon or Lochinvar, but it depends on what you're looking for. Don't expect a classic African bush experience. If I had 20 days in Zambia and didn't want to drive long distances (which is hard in Zambia) I'd try something like:

Cross Nam > Zam at Katima Mulio, stay at Kabula Lodge. Visit Ngonye Falls (and Sioma? I think they're close, I forget). Maybe you can camp at the Falls?
    Ngonye > Roy's Camp at Kafue
    Stay a couple of days at Kafue in one of the many good camps in the area.
    Kafue > Lusaka, stay at Lukasa (not a spelling error) Guesthouse, which has camping and a pool, good for the kids.
    Lusaka > Mvuu outside lower zambezi NP. Hippos, elephants, boat trips, pool, Make a day trip to Lower Zambezi NP
    Mvuu > the Mooring campsite, half way to Livingstone. Stop at Coffeeberry cafe on the way, it has a playground for kids, good food.
    Livingstone: waterfall, etc.

Maybe the Kabula Lodge/Ngonye Falls is too big a diversion. You could also try Livingstone to New Kalala Lodge (Kafue), which is a bit shorter of a drive, but I don't know the condition of that road. T4A says ~5hrs+.

Kafue, Mvuu and even Livingstone, depending on where you camp, have wildlife come into the camps. I would be quite nervous keeping track of 3 little ones with elephants, crocs and hippos around.

What time of year?
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

I would give Lochinvar a miss. I was there July last year and the mining has spoilt everything. All we saw was litter on the lagoon shore, speeding Chinese trucks and lots of dust.
    Pete Williamson

ADVENTURE BEFORE DEMENTIA

2002 Mitsubishi Colt Rodeo 3.0

thank you very much for your answer, this helps me much! I have now asked some camps what they think about kids and animals ;-)
    We will be there in end of april.
    which road you have in mind from lusaka to lower sambesi? The leopard hill road? My travel guide (ilona hupe) tells, it is not possible to drive.
    Any tipps for places to get in contact with the locals? Not on a touristic way, but maybe a camp close to busy places, markets, etc.
    It should not be "only" safari!
    Last edited by thomaswiessner; 2023/10/28 at 09:52 PM.

The end of April will still be during the long Zambian rainy season. Many parks are inaccessible during the rains. I would also be very concerned about malaria for your young children particularly as you are planning travelling during the rains - far more so than wild animals in camp.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

As above, malaria is a very, very real concern and much of Zambia is not accessible in April. Lochinvar and Blue Lagoon are not worth it.
    Your options for parks are limited because of the rains, and South Luangwa is the most feasible option, and the handful of camps around Kafue's Hook Bridge. Lower Zambezi pretty much shuts down in the rainy season.
    You may want to reconsider Zambia, or reschedule for after the rainy season.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

thanks for your answers. We will come from Namibia end of april until mid of may. So I hope, we could reach some points, e.g. cross from hook bridge to Itezhi Tezhi. In my experience it is the best way to ask the locals or the camps if the roads are accessible. Also with the kids we couldnt do safari for more than 3 or 4 days...
    About malaria, I know about this topic and we try to minimize the risks.
    To do something else as safari, I would like to have some culturel tipps to get in touch with the people of the country. For namibia, for example, my kids seams to be very interested in the himba people. This should be also part of our journey.

Thank you!

In my experience it is the best way to ask the locals or the camps if the roads are accessible. Also with the kids we couldnt do safari for more than 3 or 4 days...
    About malaria, I know about this topic and we try to minimize the risks.
    Ja, but unfortunately you may not find anyone at some of the camps to ask. They shut down.
    Re malaria, our rule with our kids was that we did not travel in malarial areas until they were old enough to accurately describe their symptoms when they were feeling sick - I would be very concerned about taking a two-year-old into a malarial area, not something I would ever do.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2023/10/30 at 01:55 PM.
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Thank you for your answer. I found at least to open camps:

https://kafuecamps.com/ is open, as well as roys Kafue camp.

We wont drive into the deepest wilderness. But for me, I try to handle the risks. I am still planing the trip and collecting information.

Any tipps for culturel activities?

Thank you!

Yes, the camps around Hook Bridge stay open year round, but the northern and southern plains camps (Busanga and Nanzhila) are inaccessible. Re cultural activities, best to inquire from the camps themselves, Zambia is less geared for tourism than Namibia in that respect.
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Tau

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Yes, the camps around Hook Bridge stay open year round, but the northern and southern plains camps (Busanga and Nanzhila) are inaccessible. Re cultural activities, best to inquire from the camps themselves, Zambia is less geared for tourism than Namibia in that respect.
    If the very short track into Roy’s Camp at Hook Bridge is anything to go by in the dry season, it is obviously a mud slide in the wet. It is, after all, the dreaded black cotton soil.

Oh, we do lament the late, great Dr Stan Weakley and his comments about the dangers of malaria - particularly for young children.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

I would contact Northern Kafue Safaris, they keep there Kafue River Lodge open all year as it’s just off the D181, amd fishing is very popular at that time of the year, there Kikuji camp is also accessible by boat on the Lunga river, Hippo Lodge and Mushingashi also possibly an option, we have spent a few Easter’s at McBrides Camp, but they have new management so not sure.

The D181 is a gravel road that goes from Mumbwa to Kasempa and is open all year round with two interesting pontoons. It will be rough but you will passed by and pass by busses, trucks and corollas…
    We live in Solwezi and have spent a few wet seasons travelling where we can in Zambia from 2010, South Luangwa and the parts of Kafue you can access are simply magical and colloquially called the Emerald season. A river journey on both rivers when in full flow is something else.
    We are careful with malaria etc… when we started our daughter was 3, in 13 years have never had a case, cover up, use spray etc… and be practical and consistent, we carry test kits and medication. I had malaria in Madagascar… not nice.

Hello
    I plan:
    - M9 into west to Kafue

Thank you very much

greetings

Thomas
    We are planning the same trip, same time, maybe we will be a day or two behind you. May I share my number on this platform? Would like to get advise on road conditions from you

Quote Originally Posted by JeanieJonker View Post
    We are planning the same trip, same time, maybe we will be a day or two behind you. May I share my number on this platform? Would like to get advise on road conditions from you
    Hello!
    thank you for your offer. As written, we are going with 3 (small) kids. So we decided finally to stay in namibia and not go to zambia. Because of malaria, bad roads and lacking infrastructure, which makes it hard with kids. Maybe in 5 years!
    greetings
    Thomas

20. The Following User Says Thank You to thomaswiessner For This Useful Post:

Hello!
    thank you for your offer. As written, we are going with 3 (small) kids. So we decided finally to stay in namibia and not go to zambia. Because of malaria, bad roads and lacking infrastructure, which makes it hard with kids. Maybe in 5 years!
    greetings
    Thomas
    Good decision! Zambia is magical, but not with kids in the wet.
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hello!
    greetings
    Thomas
    No problem, enjoy your trip

Just for anyone reading the thread in future, I've got 2.5 year old, lived his whole life in Zambia in high malaria areas. we take precautions and he hasn't got malaria yet, we treat any fever as potential malaria and get tested mostly at local clinics which is free, we also carry self test kits. We have also treated him for malaria with Coartem for kids. I'm no doctor so I am NOT giving medical advice, but just providing a bit of perspective. A lot of our friends also have young ones, and Zambia is beautiful during the wet.
    2002 HZJ105R Land Cruiser - being built as an overlander - 1hdt swap in progress
    http://www.youtube.com/@africaoverlandadventures

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ozranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ozranger View Post
    Just for anyone reading the thread in future, I've got 2.5 year old, lived his whole life in Zambia in high malaria areas.
    Thanks for that, Corey - and for anyone reading this thread in the future, please be aware that what applies to permanent residents, who build up a partial immunity to malaria over time, does NOT apply to short term visitors (and I'm also not a doctor).
    Tony Weaver
    Previously
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ozranger View Post
    Just for anyone reading the thread in future, I've got 2.5 year old, lived his whole life in Zambia in high malaria areas. we take precautions and he hasn't got malaria yet, we treat any fever as potential malaria and get tested mostly at local clinics which is free, we also carry self test kits. We have also treated him for malaria with Coartem for kids. I'm no doctor so I am NOT giving medical advice, but just providing a bit of perspective. A lot of our friends also have young ones, and Zambia is beautiful during the wet.
    Dear Ozranger, I am a Medical Doctor and adding further perspective to your anecdotal experience. I also note your use of the word "yet" and hope that remains the case in the future.

Zambia Malaria deaths for under 5's in 2019: 38460
    which represents 61.7 deaths per 1000 live births.

Sources:
    WHO World Malaria Report 2023/Unicef 2019

Source: https://www.severemalaria.org/pays/zambia

That is 6 deaths per 100 live births.
    Last edited by SANZ; 2024/02/29 at 06:52 AM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

I also draw you attention to what Dr Stan Weakley wrote on this forum "INCIDENCE OF MALARIA:
    More than a million African children die of malaria every year. Malaria is the commonest cause of death in most parts of Africa. Most susceptible to SEVERE malaria are children (especially under the age of 5 years), pregnant women, the elderly and those with compromised immunity and serious medical illnesses. These people should avoid malaria areas if at all possible. In some tropical districts in Africa, over half of the residents may be infected with malaria.

This is part of a "Sticky" that can be found in the "Overland advise, Reports etc" section at https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...for-the-layman
    Last edited by SANZ; 2024/02/29 at 06:59 AM.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SANZ For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast