Default Entering Kenya from Tanzania without a Carnet de Passage with South Africa car

Hello!

Currently we are in Tanzania (Dar). We want to go to east Uganda. And don't want to drive all around lake Victoria. Therefor we want to drive from Tanzania through Kenya. We have a South-African car without a Carnet de Passage (Kenya is first country to ask for it). We read online that it's very difficult to enter Kenya with an SA car.

Anyone that did it successfully? Tips on which borders to try?
    Our Toyota Landcruiser 76 - 100% kitted for overlanding Africa is for sale! Please check out the vehicle advert on 4x4 community vehicle for sale page.

Default Re: Entering Kenya from Tanzania without a Carnet de Passage with South Africa car

This has been discussed before on this forum, but I can’t find the threads.

Read this from the Kenyan Revenue Authority about temporary importation of a foreign vehicle. https://www.kra.go.ke/individual/dia...ering%20Kenya.

I think you only get 14 days in Kenya with the form C32. My advice to you would be to get a Carnet de Passage. The other recent travellers on the forum who have driven up to Kenya with South African registered vehicles are Webster, JulieM, and deodup. I think they all had Carnets, but maybe Deodup didn’t.

Default Re: Entering Kenya from Tanzania without a Carnet de Passage with South Africa car

It is because Kenya is not in the SADC states, and so doesn’t have agreements via that. Carnet is your best idea…

https://www.sadc.int/member-states

Quote Originally Posted by Nords View Post
    It is because Kenya is not in the SADC states, and so doesn’t have agreements via that. Carnet is your best idea…

https://www.sadc.int/member-states
    Of course Kenya is not SADC - its East African Community - and a long way from any SADC country.

It’s up to individual states whether they insist on a Carnet de Passage or go down the Temporary Import Permit route worldwide.

A CdP is, effectively, the vehicle’s passport for temporary importation into a country. I see that Nords is planning on driving from South Africa to Kenya although it looks like his/her location has already been changed to Nanyuki, Kenya. Nords: are you relocating to Kenya from South Africa or are you a Kenyan resident?

Well Tanzania is a SADC country, so……

Kenyan resident but currently is SA. We live near Timau, about three hours North of Nairobi.

Quote Originally Posted by EsNMitch View Post
    Hello!

Currently we are in Tanzania (Dar). We want to go to east Uganda. And don't want to drive all around lake Victoria. Therefor we want to drive from Tanzania through Kenya. We have a South-African car without a Carnet de Passage (Kenya is first country to ask for it). We read online that it's very difficult to enter Kenya with an SA car.

Anyone that did it successfully? Tips on which borders to try?
    This is the relevant rule: https://www.kra.go.ke/news-center/pu...a%20Form%20C32

KRA did recently update the rule, it was longer and more confusing (older notice is here: https://www.kra.go.ke/news-center/pu...ehicle-permits).

To me it reads that with a C32 you could get two weeks, but, a report from an experienced overlander with contacts in KRA had asked for clarification and been told that a carnet was still required for non-EAC vehicles. People do slip through from time to time, but be careful. One couple did this and after checking out of TZ they were not allowed into Kenya because they had no carnet. Then, in no-mans land, they turned around to go back to TZ, but TZ said they had used up their single entry visa and couldn't enter. They got stuck in no-mans land for some days untill plenty of money was spent to sort everything out.

I have also read that Kenya AA will issue a carnet to foreign vehicles upon request, but I don't know the cost, it may be no cheaper than obtaining one the normal way.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

Well Tanzania is a SADC country, so……

Kenyan resident but currently is SA. We live near Timau, about three hours North of Nairobi.
    I know Timau very well - and have many friends living there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Let me make clear; It is possible to enter Kenya without Carnet de Passage with an South African car (I'm writing this from Nairobi).

We were very nervous and went for the small border behind the Kilimanjaro. It's called Oloitokitok. And it was no hassle. All you need is your C32 form you received when entering Tanzania. Other Tanzanian borders are known to take away your C32 when you leave Tanzania. We choose not to report at the 'customs' while leaving the country. So we couldn't be asked for handing in the form. In addition we also made good copies of the C32 so we could hand-in the copies in case needed. But nobody really bothered.

This was by far the easiest border crossing in Africa.

We could choose between a free 14 day permit, or a paid 1 month permit.
    Our Toyota Landcruiser 76 - 100% kitted for overlanding Africa is for sale! Please check out the vehicle advert on 4x4 community vehicle for sale page.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EsNMitch For This Useful Post:

Let me make clear; It is possible to enter Kenya without Carnet de Passage with an South African car (I'm writing this from Nairobi).

We were very nervous and went for the small border behind the Kilimanjaro. It's called Oloitokitok. And it was no hassle. All you need is your C32 form you received when entering Tanzania. Other Tanzanian borders are known to take away your C32 when you leave Tanzania. We choose not to report at the 'customs' while leaving the country. So we couldn't be asked for handing in the form. In addition we also made good copies of the C32 so we could hand-in the copies in case needed. But nobody really bothered.

Well done. Can you clarify about the C32 - is this the same as the TIP you got when entering Tanzania, or something else? We also crossed at Loitokitok and we concur, its a nice low-key border. Enjoy Kenya, it's great.
    Blog of our African travels: stuckinlowgear.com

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CalDriver For This Useful Post:

In 2022 we traveled with a SA registered car to Kenya without a CdP and had no problems getting a TIP. You have a choice between 14 days free or 1 month with a fee.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Troopy_NZ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    I know Timau very well - and have many friends living there.
    We border Lolldiaga and Ole Naishu conservancies Wazungu, about 6kms north of Timau. Times are changing there, Timau has a Shell petrol station now!

We border Lolldiaga and Ole Naishu conservancies Wazungu, about 6kms north of Timau. Times are changing there, Timau has a Shell petrol station now!
    Indeed.

I told you there was a system. Don’t believe everything you might read on overlanding Facebook forums.