Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Looking for easy-to-use photo-editing software...

I'm looking for a simple program with which I can restore the colours of some of those yellowed old photos from the '70s and '80s. Remember them!? Photographic paper technology must've really taken a gigantic leap some time in the '90s, because the photos from that era are still fine, but those from the two decades before that look horrible!

I've come across a program called PhotoGlory that allows you a five-day trial period in which you can play around a bit, but you can't save anything, so I'm considering buying it, because it's not too expensive, but I was just wondering if anyone here has been using it, by any chance? I've tried it out on four photos and the results were pretty striking. I have no experience or knowledge about what to move where to achieve the correct colour balance, but this program has an automatic function with which you can already make an old photo look much, much better, even though it may not be exactly accurate. More than sufficient for family snaps, I'd say.

What I do find a bit peeving, however, is that although the program itself is only R384, I think, the warranty is R90-odd extra, so I'm wondering if there's any reason to cough up that much for a warranty. What does it entail, after all?

Would like to hear anyone's opinion on that, and also on the program itself if you've used it. TIA.
    Last edited by stadleroux; 2023/10/25 at 12:07 AM.
    There is only one...

Default Re: Looking for easy-to-use photo-editing software...

The Adobe products are great. I use Lightroom Classic. It is by subscription so you can limit costs if you want it for a limited time. Check if they have a free trial period. Very versatile.
    Otherwise you might take the photos to your local dealer and see what they can do.
    Enjoy

I have no knowledge of this program you are looking at. But I can't really think what a waranty could warrant against?

I would say try it, just make copies of the photos before you edit them, so that you don't accidentwlly destroy the only copy.

The Adobe products mentioned above are in my opinion not what you are looking for. They are extremely powerful but in my opinion useless unless you are prepared to spend quite a lot of time learning. However, I have never tried the auto buttons.

But if you are going to edit all the photos in one batch, it might be a cost-effective option.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2023/10/25 at 04:29 AM.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

OK, thank you very much for both responses. From what I've heard about Lightroom, I know it's very popular, but I don't know anything about it myself and I understand there's quite a learning curve to overcome!

I've now tried out PhotoGlory on some really extreme examples of underexposed photos, and while I probably won't ever use the results anywhere else, except to show what the program can do, I do think it was a useful exercise. I've also managed to save these examples by using the Print Screen button and cropping them in Paint. It's a useful enough alternative to saving in the program itself, but it does add several steps to the process and we've decided we'd like to restore quite a number of photos over time, so I'm just going to buy it anyway. I still don't see the point of the warranty, but maybe it will enable the user to legitimately transfer the program to another PC when the time comes? I'll try and find out more about that.

Here's an example of the underexposed attempts and another of the quite acceptable, I think, images.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example 3 - before & after PG.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	702800Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example 4 - before & after PG.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	225.0 KB 
ID:	702801
    There is only one...

Da Vinci resolve. free download

Have you tried messing around with the photo editing program built into Microsoft Office etc (you said you are on PC). It is actually quite powerful, and very, very simple to use. I regularly edit pics for professional purposes and it works for most applications when I'm in a hurry.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Have you tried messing around with the photo editing program built into Microsoft Office etc (you said you are on PC). It is actually quite powerful, and very, very simple to use. I regularly edit pics for professional purposes and it works for most applications when I'm in a hurry.
    Do you know what it's called, Tony? I have Microsoft 365, which I hardly ever use these days, and looked at Microsoft Office Tools, but didn't see anything looking like a photo editor. Or is it the program called Photo? Haven't noticed many editing features in that either...
    There is only one...

Adobe Photoshop Express?
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 99, "Goldi", Swambo's; Renault Duster 1.5 Dci 4WD

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtrob1 View Post
    Da Vinci resolve. free download
    Sorry, had a look, but it's for video editing, not photo editing, it seems. Not at all what I was looking for...
    There is only one...

Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    Adobe Photoshop Express?
    I don't know, does it have a one-click colour correction facility?
    There is only one...

I have very little experience with this, so ignore if this is a dof comment: Have you used Google Photos' editing functions?
    Tyrannosaurus R5 (sold) and now on my second second hand D4 British Tata.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JanB For This Useful Post:

Had the saame challenge you are facing. I digitalized thousands of slides and photos by taking .raw digital photos of the images. Then I read through all the threads on this forum in an effort to identify editing software. Found two names Faststone and Raw Therapee

Both are free. The functionality of Faststone is limited but very easy to use and to master. RT is more complex and professional like but in the end I came to grips with it as well.

I would try to "better" the image in Faststone if I did not like the result and the photo was worth struggling more I used RT

TRy them. Easy free downloads

Quote Originally Posted by Williepiet View Post
    Had the saame challenge you are facing. I digitalized thousands of slides and photos by taking .raw digital photos of the images. Then I read through all the threads on this forum in an effort to identify editing software. Found two names Faststone and Raw Therapee

Both are free. The functionality of Faststone is limited but very easy to use and to master. RT is more complex and professional like but in the end I came to grips with it as well.

I would try to "better" the image in Faststone if I did not like the result and the photo was worth struggling more I used RT

TRy them. Easy free downloads
    Hmmm... I know the pros use it and a camera I inherited from a relative does have it as a function, but I know nothing about RAW at all, and I'm not sure I have the time or would want to start using it just for this. Incidentally, how did you photograph the images, by mounting the camera on a tripod and aiming it straight down towards the image under some kind of transparent layer to keep it flat or what? For the moment I'm pretty happy with my scanner's ability to scan four photos at the same time, as well as with the quality of scanned images, but I have no idea if a camera would be able to do a better job, and I haven't even tried scanning slides yet. I understand some printer-scanners come with an accessory that makes it easier to keep the slides in place?
    There is only one...

Taking photos in RAW is no different from taking them in .jpg and doesn't take any longer (transferring them onto disc will take a bit longer because the files are bigger).

If you are going to edit the photos, it's the way to go.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by stadleroux View Post
    Do you know what it's called, Tony? I have Microsoft 365, which I hardly ever use these days, and looked at Microsoft Office Tools, but didn't see anything looking like a photo editor. Or is it the program called Photo? Haven't noticed many editing features in that either...
    Open the picture you want to work on - at the top centre of the screen there will be a row of icons (like dustbin etc). The left hand one with the pen is the editing tool - click on it, and it will give you cropping options, and next to that, exposure, brightness, contrast, shadow, highlight, colour, warmth etc etc correction tools.
    Play around with it and when you're done, do a "save as" and it will make a copy, keeping the original - don't do a straight "save" because that will change your original.
    Usually with older pics, they'll need an exposure tweak, and then play around with colour and warmth - older Kodachrome film tends to be blueish (cold), Kodak Ektachrome well balanced, Fuji will be warmer, and Agfa very cold.
    Tony Weaver
    2010 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 3.2l diesel
    Previously
    1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line 3.5l V8; 1968 2.25l Land Rover SII; 1969 2.6l SIIA; 1973 2.25l SIII
    1983 Toyota HiLux 2l 4x4

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Hmmm... I know the pros use it and a camera I inherited from a relative does have it as a function, but I know nothing about RAW at all, and I'm not sure I have the time or would want to start using it just for this. Incidentally, how did you photograph the images, by mounting the camera on a tripod and aiming it straight down towards the image under some kind of transparent layer to keep it flat or what? For the moment I'm pretty happy with my scanner's ability to scan four photos at the same time, as well as with the quality of scanned images, but I have no idea if a camera would be able to do a better job, and I haven't even tried scanning slides yet. I understand some printer-scanners come with an accessory that makes it easier to keep the slides in place?
    I have no idea of the quantity of pics, negatives, slides that you have but it may be easier looking at a photo, negative scanner.

Have a look at paint or paint3d in windows.
    Last edited by HobieDave; 2023/10/25 at 03:45 PM.
    Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to HobieDave For This Useful Post:

Raw is not a requirement I just mentioned it. Any other format will do for your purpose. For slides I use thick piece of wood with a cloth on top facing the laptop screen in Word - white background and a white paper in front. On the wood plank was a compact camera on outomatic. The slide I clipped in a paperclamp - these black ones. And there you go try it!

With the photos I took a plastic garden chair and attached a window mount upside down to it and placed it on a table. These new LED camping rechargeable lights worked perfect from both sides for light. The photo was flat on the table top on top of a white A4 paper.

Editing was the done as explained.

Took me months!! but was a "life experience' going through those photos and slides. Whatsapp assisted to reach out to friends from school days!!

Now the next challenge is the VHS videos hours no months of them! Any suggestions from forum members

I know the father of my son in law had perfect results with a scanner and he was a keen photographer

Last edited by Williepiet; 2023/10/25 at 03:54 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Williepiet For This Useful Post:

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to janseekat For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JanB View Post
    I have very little experience with this, so ignore if this is a dof comment: Have you used Google Photos' editing functions?
    No, I haven't really, but I may check them out one day.
    There is only one...

26. The Following User Says Thank You to stadleroux For This Useful Post:

Exclamation Re: Looking for easy-to-use photo-editing software...

OK, my decision was made decidedly easier last night when I stumbled onto another site selling PhotoGlory at a much cheaper price: The previous site's price was R550-odd, including warranty and VAT, compared to ColorMango's price of R299 for the same thing: https://www.colormango.com/product/p...ro_151782.html. This link takes you to the page for the Pro version, where you can also select the Deluxe or the Standard version. I bought it in Standard because that was all I really needed.
    There is only one...

28. The Following User Says Thank You to stadleroux For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast