Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Work: 4119'54.7"N 6917'26.4"E Home:-4ways

Default I want a camera, but I know nothing of cameras...

Hey guys,

Daily, my camera is an iPhone.
    Scuba, action stuff, is the domain of my very old GoPro Hero3. Which I want to upgrade as well.

I'm looking for something to use when I want "nicer" pics & videos.

Not looking for something that will require me to buy other lenses etc. All-In-One camera.

I like the look of the Fuji Film mirror-less cameras. But this, is coming from nowhere else, except that I like the look of them. I have ZERO idea what is considered a good camera. I know the major brands, Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji, Panasonic. Not sure which ones are the better option in South Africa to go for, with regards to after-sales service etc.

What I want...

1. Good image quality (higher megapixels doesn't always equate to "better" images)
    2. Good optical zoom
    3. Ability to be used as a 4k video camera
    4. Ability to take external microphone(s)
    5. Ability to manipulate exposure time, ISO, etc

I want to dabble in VERY CRUDE, astro-photagraphy (deep sky). I will buy a tracking-mount at a later stage for this purpose. So an impressive optical zoom is really non negotiable. If the astro bug bites, I will get proper telescope(s) and camera(s), fit for purpose.

Mostly, this will be used for animal photography/videography in national parks, and game reserves. But also family gatherings, pets, that sort of stuff.

Would be nice if the camera can wireless'ly share, backup photos, not sure if that is a thing?

Budget...
    Well, I would like it to be sub R20k. But I will stretch further if it will make a huge difference. Absolute MAX is R30k.

When...
    My plan is to buy when back in SA early next year. So getting all my ducks in a row, and learning now.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2023/10/07 at 03:24 PM.
    Chris
    Don't blow it, this is the only planet with beer!
    HYADES

Default Re: I want a camera, but I know nothing of cameras...

Following...

'15 Prado 4.0 VX
    '13 Jurgens Xcell

Asked something very similar a while ago on the forum.

For under R20k is was suggested to get a good bridge camera, something like the Nikon Coolpix P950 was suggested by a few. Seemed to be a good option, really good zoom.
    Last edited by PJ SA; 2023/10/07 at 02:59 PM.

2020 Isuzu D-Max 250 X-Rider D/C 4x4
    Ex: 2017 Jimny & F800gs Adventure

A man who lacks purpose distracts himself with pleasure.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PJ SA For This Useful Post:

The Coolpix as suggested. Friend of mine owns a P900 and he has shot some amazing pictures of the moon with that camera. The zoom of the lens is 24-2000mm if I remember correctly.
    HENK

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Canon SX70HS70 bridge camera?
    Sub R10k.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, youre missing the point.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Nikon Coolpix P1000 if you want to stretch the budget a bit, P950 if you don't want to. Both also come with hot shoe should you wish to start with creative lighting etc. a great bonus if you can set up external flashlights and commanders. I have the P1000, is always with me when the car is packed, links automatically with my IPad, so at the end of the day of travelling, photo's ready to view on the IPad and can send them wherever you want, this feature is one of my favorites. Not going to comment much on pic quality etc. as 99% of the time users will not be able to distinguish between an IPhone image or a Digital camera by pixel peaking on X or Instagram. If you want to make A0 or A1 prints might be a different matter.
    Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
    - Leonardo Da Vinci
    Also on

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Rooikop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Sub R10k.
    I've had a Canon Powershot for the past 10 years. Lots of functionality and been serving me well.
    These are photos I took this year during our July Kruger holiday. They are fine, but not necessarily crisp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4863.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	701602Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4929.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	237.4 KB 
ID:	701603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4963.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	278.7 KB 
ID:	701604

Unfortunately my Father-In-Law is a serious photographer... so I have been exposed to what stunning photos you can get from proper equipment. So I have reached the point of having to upgrade now, but the next step in the process gets expensive FAST (R30k-40k, just as a start) But, the images are sublime if you go for a proper DSLR or Mirrorless.

Some of my FIL's photos:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52820133885_1720900941_o.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	634.6 KB 
ID:	701605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52819160532_3a121aa731_o.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	701606
    2015 BMW X3 3.0D

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FatPlant For This Useful Post:

I have had many compliments of the pics I have posted on this forum, and me and mommy are no experts

Canon SX 50

Now the SX 70 is meant to be even better. So I am supporting the Canon SX range as per the guys above.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7344.resized.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	269.7 KB 
ID:	701623  
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

If you do Scuba, maybe the new Olympus TG-7.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to btscott For This Useful Post:

I have a Canon X60 bridge camera, which for my purposes is absolutely bloody fantastic.
    It has built in wifi, you can attach a remote cable, edit on screen ect.

I used to scuba, and my camera was also a Canon.
    My best mate is photography mad with all the gear you could imagine. All Canon.
    He has award winning video and still shots, both on land and under the sea.

Whatever camera you do end up buying, you will need a waterproof housing specifically designed for your camera, lights, buoyancy ect.
    Here in Durban, we have a local scuba diver that manufactures waterproof housings for cameras.
    I used to skipper scuba charters with him, and off hand I can tell you that National Geographic has used his services.

Everything is made on site, machined, pressure tested and guaranteed.
    I met some crazy people.... They made me their leader.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to AlexP For This Useful Post:

The Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500 is a masterpiece. Fantastic zoom, big sensor, easy to use and link to everything. It has been voted best bridge camera.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Greeff For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greeff View Post
    The Panasonic LUMIX FZ2500 is a masterpiece. Fantastic zoom, big sensor, easy to use and link to everything. It has been voted best bridge camera.
    And being a Leica.
    What more do you want?
    Johan Maree
    Isuzu 3.0 DC V-Cross 4x4
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    Conqueror UEV-25
    Satphone - Rental supplier

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Please excuse me, this is not meant to be nasty or negative towards you.
    Cameras do not take photos. Photographers do. Many of the worst photos in the world are taken with very expensive gear. I know because I do it often.

Educate yourself on how to take pictures, or else buying an expensive camera is just a waste of money. Good thing is, it's free. It just takes some time, dedication and practice.
    Beat-up rat rod of a '96 Nissan Patrol that bears the evidence of many wonderful adventures (and a few stupid indiscretions).

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    Cameras do not take photos. Photographers do. Many of the worst photos in the world are taken with very expensive gear. I know because I do it often.

Educate yourself on how to take pictures, or else buying an expensive camera is just a waste of money. Good thing is, it's free. It just takes some time, dedication and practice.
    I have booked a photographer for the day on sunday for exactly that reason. Show me the tips and tricks on my new stuff.

do net reinvent the wheel
    Angel Group
    Solar-Construction-Offroad
    [email protected]
    Next event: 4x4 Recovery-TBA

https://gfolk.me/HermanEngelbrecht475422

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Engel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Sub R10k.
    Quote Originally Posted by FatPlant View Post
    I've had a Canon Powershot for the past 10 years. Lots of functionality and been serving me well.
    These are photos I took this year during our July Kruger holiday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    I have had many compliments of the pics I have posted on this forum, and me and mommy are no experts

Canon SX 50

Now the SX 70 is meant to be even better. So I am supporting the Canon SX range as per the guys above.
    Thanks. Never heard of the Powershot cameras. Canon was not really on my radar, as I thought they pretty much only dabbled in the DSLR stuff, and as I've said, I'm not keen on something that will require me to have a myriad of lenses to carry around on my travels.

I'm googling now, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by btscott View Post
    If you do Scuba, maybe the new Olympus TG-7.
    I'm going to check the Olympus out now, thanks for the tip.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexP View Post
    I have a Canon X60 bridge camera, which for my purposes is absolutely bloody fantastic.
    It has built in wifi, you can attach a remote cable, edit on screen ect.

I used to scuba, and my camera was also a Canon.
    My best mate is photography mad with all the gear you could imagine. All Canon.
    He has award winning video and still shots, both on land and under the sea.

Whatever camera you do end up buying, you will need a waterproof housing specifically designed for your camera, lights, buoyancy ect.
    Here in Durban, we have a local scuba diver that manufactures waterproof housings for cameras.
    I used to skipper scuba charters with him, and off hand I can tell you that National Geographic has used his services.

Everything is made on site, machined, pressure tested and guaranteed.
    I'm not really thinking of using such a high-end camera for my scuba excursions. Was thinking of getting a later model GoPro for this, perhaps a 7 or 9 even. When I scuba, I'm mainly focusing on the dive, not really trying to capture epic footage for NatGeo. This is mainly just to document holiday dives etc. Also, use the GoPro on the motorbike.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Greeff View Post

I forgot about the Lumix stuff. Will go check them out. Thanks.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2023/10/13 at 05:03 PM.
    Chris
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post

I know you mean well Peter, and thanks for that. But honestly, I don't find your post helpful with my dilemma. Telling me that I need to learn how to use a camera to take better pictures. Yes, great, I understand that, but I need a camera first. I outlined what I want to use this particular camera for, no amount of know-how will help with deep sky (not moon/planetary) photography on my GoPro3, or iPhone XR, which are THE ONLY cameras I own. I need a camera. That's why I'm asking for opinions on the hardware I could possibly need.

My iPhone will still be the daily driver camera. I will NEVER be a better photographer than what the software does on the latest mobile phones, with regards to their cameras, and the photos they take. Or, shall I say, I don't have enough free time, decades really, to learn how to be a better photographer than an iPhone.

I will however seek photography classes, lessons, once I've found a suitable "all-in-one" camera. If needs be. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2023/10/14 at 10:07 AM.
    Chris
    HYADES

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyades For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by engel View Post
    i have booked a photographer for the day on sunday for exactly that reasonhow me the tips and tricks on my new stuffo net reinvent the wheel
    gwc ;d
    Last edited by Dirk; 2023/10/13 at 05:00 PM.

Im not sure exactly you mean by deep sky astrophotography but Id assume it entails taking pictures of the sky at night. For this youd normally need pretty long exposures. Just confirm that whatever camera you settle on is capable of this. For example, the Canon SX70 is a fantastic camera which should satisfy your daytime needs but its limitation will be the maximum 15-second exposure which might not be long enough for your astrophotography requirements.
    Frank Visagie.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to OffTheHamsterWheel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OffTheHamsterWheel View Post
    Im not sure exactly you mean by deep sky astrophotography but Id assume it entails taking pictures of the sky at night. For this youd normally need pretty long exposures. Just confirm that whatever camera you settle on is capable of this. For example, the Canon SX70 is a fantastic camera which should satisfy your daytime needs but its limitation will be the maximum 15-second exposure which might not be long enough for your astrophotography requirements.
    Hi, yes, I will most likely be needing something that can have exposure times of up to 2 minutes, depending on the ambient light pollution in your surrounding area at the time. Take multiple pics, perhaps hundreds in an evening, then stack them. As I've said in my first post, I will get a tracking mount for this, and if the bug bites properly, I will get a dedicated astro camera. Just first want to wet my toes, so to speak.
    Last edited by Hyades; 2023/10/13 at 05:25 PM.
    Chris
    HYADES

Quote Originally Posted by Hyades View Post
    Hi, yes, I will most likely be needing something that can have exposure times of up to 2 minutes, depending on the ambient light pollution in your surrounding area at the time. Take multiple pics, perhaps hundreds in an evening, then stack them. As I've said in my first post, I will get a tracking mount for this, and if the bug bites properly, I will get a dedicated astro camera. Just first want to wet my toes, so to speak.
    Yes for astro one needs a quality telescope , and a decent tracking mount (EQ)for it and a heavy duty tripod or pillar , those are the starting point , one can use lots of different cameras , even phones , they all give ok results
    Different set up for Moon , Sun, Planets, double stars and, deep Sky so you must first decide which option you want , the longer exposures are for deep sky objects as one need to capture as much light as possible like 10 hours

Lots of info on www.cloudynights.com and www.theskysearcher.com

Good luck
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

35. The Following User Says Thank You to 12richardk For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast