Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Nairobi to Cape Town help please

Quote Originally Posted by MartinClem View Post
    consider posting a question on the facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/OverlandingAfrica . Carnet is expensive and on your route the only country requiring it for visitors is kenya . But is it a requirement for kenyan registered vehicles ? . Also how long a foreign registered vehicle can stay in south africa may be a thing . Lots of knowledge available on facebook
    Thanks Martin. I also got a lot of help on DriveZam on FB. Yes the time for the car to stay in SA is important and I'm busy checking that.

Carnet - Most of my overland friends recommend that I should get one.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

And you can read these recent accounts from Julie. ZAM to TAN via Tunduma and on to Kisolanza.

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...5&d=1689255705

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...9&d=1689342161

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

And I do hope you will have been able to obtain the new Kenyan licence plates and the new registration papers before you head off. Or that you will have returned your Kenyan-registered vehicle back to Kenya before the cut-off date for the new licence plates of the end of March 2024.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wazungu Wawili For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    And I do hope you will have been able to obtain the new Kenyan licence plates and the new registration papers before you head off. Or that you will have returned your Kenyan-registered vehicle back to Kenya before the cut-off date for the new licence plates of the end of March 2024.
    I have my registration papers (logbook) but not the new plates yet.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lirritma For This Useful Post:

Doing this, but the opposite way around! Cape Town to Nanyuki in about a week’s time. Planning to take 4-6 weeks to do it though…

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nords For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by lirritma View Post
    I have my registration papers (logbook) but not the new plates yet.
    Good luck with the application for the new plates…

Good luck with the application for the new plates…
    Turnaround for a few colleagues in the office has been around 2 to 3 weeks. I should be OK.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Got the new plates in 3 weeks. Not too bad going.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Happy New Year to everyone. The trip from Nairobi to Cape Town is “done and dusted” as my wife would put it. I had the company of an old school friend who decided that he fly to Nairobi to join me for the trip back home (for him).

A massive thank you to the input from each and everyone. It was extremely valuable and contributed hugely to the success of it.

Our stop-overs were:

Day 1: Dodoma.
    We stayed in the Nala Centurion Hotel. Clean and good WIFI. We had a nice burger at the sports bar across the street.
    The roads in Tanzania was great and the police didn’t bother us really. The 2 speed fines totalled to R200 so it was like toll fees.

Day 2: Utengule Coffee Farm.
    Another good day on the road and well in time to take a few cold ones and enjoy the view.
    The mountain pass north of Iringa was a nice sighting. It was very foggy which gave extra mood to it.
    But the traffic change from Iringa, when the trucks from Dar join in, made a real change to the progress but it went well.

Day 3: Kapishya Springs
    We had no issues at any of the border crossings along the way. But getting into Zambia was a 3 hour waste of time. Clearly the officials plan to delay and frustrate you to force you to use a runner. I’m sure they all share a bank account. I decided that I want to experience it myself and not use a runner. So next time it would hopefully take quicker. I have found the help from the security guards to be the best in terms of “where do I go next”. The input from you on what I needed in terms of documentation and what I need to get at the border helped me to navigate all the BS.
    And there we drove onto a brand new wide tar road from Nakonde to Chinsali. But about halfway on this section the temp gauge started to show the engine was running to warm. It could only manage maximum 100km/hr. The only bad section on the whole trip was from Chinsali to Mpika but there were large sections where they are building a new road. Luckily we only had to drive the section up to the turn-off to Kapishya Springs. Mel’s lamb curry that evening will go down in the Captain’s Log as one of the best curries ever.

Day 4: Lukasa in Lusaka
    We took Mark’s advice to continue with the gravel road onwards from the springs and join the Kasama/Mpika road. The potholes were well repaired accept for a very short section of about 2 km. It is here where our day started to become the longest day on the road. We stopped to help a local who lost a wheel in one of the potholes and he had no jack or any other tools. We stopped shortly after Mpika to make lunch and then had about an hour chat with Jan from Holland how has been cycling the world for the past 10 years. He was on his way from Cape Town to Nairobi.
    I still could only manage 100km/hr and in the hilly sections less when I needed more torque. Just before Mkushi we saw a sign that said there is a Toyota service centre ahead. The voice on my shoulder told me to pull in. A big shout out to the team who helped and made contact with Toyota in Lusaka who replaced the radiator the next morning. Because of the delays we were forces to do the section from Kapiri Mposhi to Lusaka in the dark and in the rain sometimes. Not fun but we made it safely to Lukasa Guest House where we got a nice plate of food and beer.

Day 5: Choma
    We got to Toyota Lusaka when the doors opened but realized that we have to change the days ahead. We rolled our accommodation in Kasane and Gaborone and in SA we swopped Britstown for Victoria West.
    We got out of Lusaka around 2:30 pm and made a B-line for Choma where we made a reservation during the day at Legends Executive Lodge. 6 hours behind the wheel without a stop (the new Sheelmann seats in the Troopy made it a breeze). No more over heating so I could take the maximum that I could out of the diesel donkey. At some point we drove through the heaviest storm I’ve ever experienced. It was as if people were pouring buckets of water over us. We crawled along a 10 to 15km/hr. The storm knocked out the power in Choma and the Legend’s generator wasn’t working. We then tried the Golden Pillow and Kozo Lodge but finally got the last room available in the Meridian Hotel. There was cold beer and the restaurant made a nice pork chop and chips.

Day 6: Kasane – Ouma se Plekkie (Air B&B)
    We had a strole of 290 km for the day so first walked around at Vic Falls on the Zambia side. Water was low but still great. It was my 3rd time but a 1st for my friend. The border crossing at Kazungula was a breeze. In the afternoon a friend in Kasane got us onto a Chobe river boat trip. A lekka break after the 2 days before.

Day 7: Gaborone – Paul’s place.
    Our longest distance on a day but the flat Botswana and good roads got us in Gabs by 4pm. The accommodation was OK but no restaurant (contrary to how it is advertised) so it was Nando’s across the road.

Day 8: Victoria West
    The border crossing at Ramatlabama was 20 minutes through both ends and just after 4pm we checked in at Victoria’s Pride. It was 16 December and SA was in holiday mode. The town was filled to the rim. We had a great time at the Ka’roux restaurant. We were on a roll and if they gave us a mic we would have put up a full talk show about the trip - LOL.

Day 9 and we rolled into the drive way at home in Bellville just after noon gun. The ladies in waiting with lunch. We still had a few Black Labels on ice in the fridge in the Troopy.

I’m back in Nairobi and waiting for the guys at Alu Innovations in Cape Town to perform their magic while the planning for the drive back to Kenya around April is ongoing.

THANK YOU to you all again.
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lirritma For This Useful Post:

Big driving days… Well done. And there are numerous outfitters in Kenya who could have done the required work for you on your vehicle. Just saying!

Big driving days… Well done. And there are numerous outfitters in Kenya who could have done the required work for you on your vehicle. Just saying!
    Something that I always wanted to do, even in my years in Angola and there I never drove home for Christmas. After the experience and cost I've had to get the vehicle resprayed, I'm more than happy to spend the extra cost to get it to the professionals at Alu Innovations. And now I have to drive it back .....
    Gerrit Laubscher

Angola sempre

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2