Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    59
    Posts
    593
    Thanked: 487

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by erasmusdries View Post
    Good morning

    Can the Namaqua eco trail be done with only a single vehicle or is this not advisable?

    I have 2 weeks .

    I want to leave 17/09(this coming Sunday), thought I will do the trail and then do a part of Namaqua National park before returning to Gauteng.

    If not advisable, would Southern Namibia be possible without any reservations this time of the year?

    THX
    I did the first part, from Pella to Vioolsdrift in 2016, solo and as in only me alone with my Hilux.

    Grew up in Namakwaland (Springbok), so was not a big deal for me to do it alone in one vehicle.

    But I was causious and did not take unnecessary chanses.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2023/09/13 at 06:23 AM.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanked: 801

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by Woody62 View Post
    Yes not a problem, was there a year ago

    On a side note the amount of "Toilet Paper" blowing around is absolutely disgusting.

    If you are not taking your .... back with you, please did a deep hole, very deep, so that other can enjoy it in future
    Take a spray bottle with spiritus and a box of matches to ensure only the ash blows around.
    Side note. Only use this once fully clothed and upright.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 99, "Goldi", Swambo's; Renault Duster 1.5 Dci 4WD

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tzaneen
    Age
    56
    Posts
    316
    Thanked: 266

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    Take a spray bottle with spiritus and a box of matches to ensure only the ash blows around.
    Side note. Only use this once fully clothed and upright.
    Not good advice. Some fools wil start wild fires.
    Don't feed the monkeys!

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanked: 801

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    Not good advice. Some fools wil start wild fires.
    I must be out of synk, but that is standard practice to burn toilet paper in hole dug before closing it.
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2023/09/13 at 04:06 PM.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 99, "Goldi", Swambo's; Renault Duster 1.5 Dci 4WD

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to BarnieH For This Useful Post:


  6. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Benoni.
    Age
    39
    Posts
    1,621
    Thanked: 1371

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    I must be out of synk, but that is standard practice to burn toilet paper in hoe dug before closing it.
    That is actually what is recommended on the namakwa eco trail website.
    Last edited by Chopped; 2023/09/13 at 08:17 PM.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:


  8. #26
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Vredenburg
    Age
    44
    Posts
    24
    Thanked: 8

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by BarnieH View Post
    I must be out of synk, but that is standard practice to burn toilet paper in hole dug before closing it.
    Nee jinne ouens. Na al die reŽn wat ons gehad het, reinig jouself met 'n soutslaai blaar. Dis soos 'n natuurlike wetwipe. Beste veldtie ooit!

  9. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    1
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by erasmusdries View Post
    Good morning

    Can the Namaqua eco trail be done with only a single vehicle or is this not advisable?

    I have 2 weeks .

    I want to leave 17/09(this coming Sunday), thought I will do the trail and then do a part of Namaqua National park before returning to Gauteng.

    If not advisable, would Southern Namibia be possible without any reservations this time of the year?

    THX
    Just got back from the eastern section from Pella to the N7. A single Duster 4x4 with decent tyres. No problems at all and the route is pretty busy so you are likely to see other vehicles most days.

  10. #28
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    38
    Thanked: 35

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Hi

    Just a few bits that might be helpful

    --Enough info available regarding the route and Wilma also give you all the info you need, it would be nice to get/have a list of the other private campsites and contact details if they are fully booked, we only saw a second group on our final day

    -- Remember the height restriction of the pipe over the road at Henkries pump station if you have a high vehicle with stuff on the roof

    --Find a Kaap Agri fuel station ,there is one in Pofadder, diesel much cheaper

    --You have to pre arrange with the nuns if you want to see the inside of the Cathedral in Pella

    --What a tragedy, our fellow campers use the 2 empty dams at Tierhoek as trashcans

    --Thx for the spirits advice, will be permanently in the car.

    -- If you find yourself in Koingnaas and you think the wind is going to blow you away at Hondeklipbaai consider Blue Horizon in Koingnaas, the owner Jacques is a delightful person and has the most amazing collection of jacks, that is his number on the campsite board if you think you might have a jack he has not seen before

    -- Fill up in Koingnaas, Hondeklipbaai do not have a petrol station
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230926_091540.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	701460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230925_155008.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	586.4 KB 
ID:	701461   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230925_154936.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	466.3 KB 
ID:	701462   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230925_155422.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	275.8 KB 
ID:	701463   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230925_155403.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	237.9 KB 
ID:	701464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230923_144414.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	604.0 KB 
ID:	701465  
    Last edited by erasmusdries; 2023/10/08 at 11:15 PM.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to erasmusdries For This Useful Post:


  12. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 238

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Morning. Thank you for the info. Will be doing the route next year April. Do you maybe have more info on the hight restriction? Now a bit worried about my Defender with Jerry cans and rooftop tent on the roof rack. Thank you.
    Last edited by SP1971; 2023/10/10 at 07:56 AM.

  13. #30
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,559
    Thanked: 962

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by SP1971 View Post
    Morning. Thank you for the info. Will be doing the route next year April. Do you maybe have more info on the hight restriction? Now a bit worried about my Defender with Jerry cans and rooftop tent on the roof rack. Thank you.

    This is what we are talking about. Im not sure about the height, But I personally think you will be fine if you stick to the left side

    I was fairly loaded on the roof as well and had no problems
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pUMP HOUSE.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	223.9 KB 
ID:	701586   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HEIGHT.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	154.1 KB 
ID:	701587  
    Last edited by rechardt; 2023/10/10 at 09:10 AM.
    RechardT

    Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

    You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

  14. #31
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Grabouw
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,979
    Thanked: 801

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by erasmusdries View Post
    Hi

    Just a few bits that might be helpful

    --Enough info available regarding the route and Wilma also give you all the info you need, it would be nice to get/have a list of the other private campsites and contact details if they are fully booked, we only saw a second group on our final day

    -- Remember the height restriction of the pipe over the road at Henkries pump station if you have a high vehicle with stuff on the roof

    --Find a Kaap Agri fuel station ,there is one in Pofadder, diesel much cheaper

    --You have to pre arrange with the nuns if you want to see the inside of the Cathedral in Pella

    --What a tragedy, our fellow campers use the 2 empty dams at Tierhoek as trashcans

    --Thx for the spirits advice, will be permanently in the car.

    -- If you find yourself in Koingnaas and you think the wind is going to blow you away at Hondeklipbaai consider Blue Horizon in Koingnaas, the owner Jacques is a delightful person and has the most amazing collection of jacks, that is his number on the campsite board if you think you might have a jack he has not seen before

    -- Fill up in Koingnaas, Hondeklipbaai do not have a petrol station
    An interesting thing about Tierhoek.
    When we camped there last time we had a visit from the new park manager and an old park official.

    After showing him our permit and such we had a talk about the beauty of the surroundings and also the waste being left behind.

    He was quite open in saying that the youngsters from Kuboes sometimes go to Tierhoek as it is just around the corner,

    His solution for this was having the entrances secured so that only paid visitors can enter with a code via the phone.

    We thought it a great idea as this will control the "overcrowded" places like Ramansdrif also.

    I did not ask him how he would fund such a great idea as it will not be high on the agenda of some political entities.
    Last edited by BarnieH; 2023/10/10 at 09:25 AM.
    Barnie Hickman
    Jeep XJ 99, "Goldi", Swambo's; Renault Duster 1.5 Dci 4WD

  15. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    52
    Posts
    332
    Thanked: 238

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by rechardt View Post
    This is what we are talking about. Im not sure about the height, But I personally think you will be fine if you stick to the left side

    I was fairly loaded on the roof as well and had no problems
    Thank you very much Rechardt. Appreciate the pic. Im sure we will be okay

  16. #33
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    62
    Posts
    38
    Thanked: 35

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    THX Barnie for info and Rechardt for the pic, we turned away before Goodhouse when we saw the height restriction, it is so beautiful along the river.

    Does anyone know any history about the old house at Tierhoek

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to erasmusdries For This Useful Post:


  18. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    56
    Posts
    600
    Thanked: 52

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    I have some questions
    1. What is the cost to do the trail and cost per day to camp?
    2. must you do it from Pella side or can you do it from Vioolsdrif side as well?
    Regards.

  19. #35
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,559
    Thanked: 962

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    Quote Originally Posted by LRFan View Post
    I have some questions
    1. What is the cost to do the trail and cost per day to camp?
    2. must you do it from Pella side or can you do it from Vioolsdrif side as well?
    Regards.
    As per point 1, see attached, this was in September this year( 2023)

    As per Point 2, yes, you can do it either way.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rechardt; 2023/10/18 at 11:02 AM.
    RechardT

    Old Wheeler
    Die hard Toyota Hilux fan.
    Hilux V6 D/C 4X4 Auto

    You can go anywhere you want in life as long as its in a 4x4.

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to rechardt For This Useful Post:


  21. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2021
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    60
    Posts
    4
    Thanked: 0

    Default Re: Namaqua eco route

    At Alexander Bay is the official office to book your trip. It is not a free for
    all territory because you support communities. Phone Wilma James who is the tourism officer: (081) 873-9043

    Regarding one vehicle: if you go to Kamgab by example and you encounter technicalpeobles issue it will be difficult to get support.
    Last edited by Hugo Slabber; 2023/11/17 at 09:47 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •