Default Pajero Head Units - understanding the options

I have a 2008 3.8V6 GLS SWB.

It's currently got the standard head unit installed, as per the pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230906_174049.jpg 
Views:	258 
Size:	195.9 KB 
ID:	698633

It has an aux cable, which is a bit iffy (scratchy and sound fades from one channel) so I rarely use it. The CD hasn't worked since shortly after I bought the car.
    I connect to my phone using a BT adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and allows me to connect via FM radio signal to play music and navigation off the phone.
    It's very limited functionally since I have to do everything on the phone.

When I bought the car, I also kept the Android head unit from my previous pajero, and ordered a facia plate (which I have since misplaced) and connector cable but have never bothered to swap them out. Partially because I quite like the sound quality on the standard system and didn't want to ruin that, and partially because I am lazy.

I'm still deciding what the best way forward is, but was hoping first to better understand the standard OEM systems that get installed on these cars.

- I have seen some head units that look almost exactly like mine, but have the Rockford Fosgate branding on the front. Are these the same system or is the RF version different in some way?
    - How do android head units compare to the OEM stuff? The one I have (Navtech AUN 701 like this https://www.qadiri.co.za/Product/4798) is bit older now but in its favour is that I already own it, and it's just taking up space in the garage anyway. On the downside it's fully touchscreen
    - The local scrappy has a head unit and facia from the later model pajero for R2500 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	373082219_193667367062451_6505037437078514451_n.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	698635 - is that a reasonable price? How good are those units and would it be a worthwhile upgrade? I could also keep shopping around at the scrappies for 2nd hand if there is a particularly good option worth searching for.
    - Alternatively, I could look at getting another android unit from China for similar money, but again not sure how it'd compare to OEM.

Ultimately I don't want to spend too much one the sound system right now, so the OneNav options I saw for around R12k are probably not an option.

Does anyone have a breakdown of the various standard units, and what the systems entail? Are these units all-in-one or do they use a separate amp unit?

Anyone have advice on whether the typical android unit has comparable sound quality to the standard one?

Default Re: Pajero Head Units - understanding the options

Go talk to Shafick Modack at Car Hi-Fi centre in Diep River, Cape Town, about your options. He installed a brilliant Kenwood system in my Pajero many years ago, which has not given me one day's trouble. Other installers were unable to get the steering wheel to communicate with the head unit, but this was no problem to him. Things have moved on big time since then, but I am sure he will have a good idea of which option to install these days.
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB

That Caska unit in your second image is not great in terms of function.Most people have issues with the maps and the system freezing etc
    Just as matter of interest there is a hack on your current system where you can connect a earphone jack with some wire splicing and then connect your phone to the system.You store the cable in that small pop up card holder space below radio.

The rockford versions have the 2 extra speakers in the back door and a sub in the boot and i think the added tweeters in front too
    As mentioned above there are some really nice double din options (like the kenwood) that can be installed probably at around 5-6k that sound realy really good
    If you dont have the rockford in your vehilce with the sub and you cant to a double din radio you will hear the difference.I installed a double din in mine back then and it improved the sound over the stock,i then replaced the door speakers and it was very good

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

As for the CD of yours not working..If you are a hands on type of guy then remove the radio (i have a youtube video how to do it)
    The radio is a 2 piece unit.The facia/radio and then the power/cd unit that sits behind the facia
    I found on three vehilces i did including mine that the cd does not work because of a flat harness inside the unit..If you remove the unit you can actually see the harness through the gaps..it sits just above where the cd would lie
    This harness seems to sag over time and actually rest on the cd to a point where cds dont even eject and most probably cause it not to spin.
    All i did was bend the harness ever so slightly to lie away from the cd and lo behold all worked again..
    Might be your issue

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Thanks everyone for the fantastically helpful info and advice. I've decided to avoid the Caska 2nd hand unit and try installing the android unit I already own as a first step. Worst case I don't like it and I haven't spent loads on something I don't want.

the head unit I have from my previous Pajero is this one:

It's still running Android 7 but hopefully that is not too much of an issue. The Navtech website mentioned on the box no longer exists though, and finding a manual has been impossible. From what I can tell Android head units all look basically the same?

I have found the fascia plate that I originally bought, and also the wiring harness - which it turns out is just a single plug with a bunch of wires.

The wiring is looking a bit more complicated than the plug and play thing I was hoping for - anyone got advice for how to handle that? I have not been able to find a wiring diagram at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    The rockford versions have the 2 extra speakers in the back door and a sub in the boot and i think the added tweeters in front too
    As mentioned above there are some really nice double din options (like the kenwood) that can be installed probably at around 5-6k that sound realy really good
    If you dont have the rockford in your vehilce with the sub and you cant to a double din radio you will hear the difference.I installed a double din in mine back then and it improved the sound over the stock,i then replaced the door speakers and it was very good
    Which door speakers did you fit, and were they a straight swap?

I know they were jbl cant remember if they were straight fit

Slojo..Often the units are not plug and play unless made for pajero
    If you use say a sony then you buy a pajero/sony adaptor harness to make it plug and play
    The facia plates for the double dins used to be available at Sound louder if i remember correctly.The adaptor harnesses aswell.

Update on this; so after delaying for ages, I went ahead this weekend to strip the dash and try to install the Android head unit from my old car - I was already stripping the dash to mount dashboard support brackets so it seemed like a good idea.

I ordered a canbus adapter and wiring harness to try to make things plug and play, but it turned out my head unit plug didn't match the one on the harness. I cut off both plugs and remade the harness, which seemed pretty simple (except for one weird brown/pink wire anomaly where the harness and radio plug had them swapped around).

I have not mounted the android unit but not super happy with how it sits with the standard bracket, so planning to strip again and drill some extra holes on the radio mount so I can get it seated better.

My bigger issue, is that the sound quality on the android sounds pretty terrible compared to standard :-( Is this something that the right equaliser android app can improve, or is this just the nature of chinese android head units?

Toying with the idea of adding a separate amp but then we really start straying from "plug and play" and I am hesitant to have to run new power cables from the battery etc.

I am also considering trying to repair the CD player on the stock radio (someone suggested looking for the ribbon cable connection), and perhaps rewiring the aux cable to give me an option of an android source running through the standard deck.

Third option is keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand late-model pajero head unit that might support android auto (does such a thing exist?)

Not really looking to spend tons on sound - I just want to be able to navigate from the car, and play spotify without crappy BT adapters.

You obviously dont have the model with the rockford sound in
    I would put an amp in under the seat.Tweeters in the spot available by the side mirrors and mids in the doors.
    post photo of how the unit sits in the facia so we can see what the issue is.
    The 2015 facelift came with the newer headunit but they still pretty crap and have limited options.
    On the older radios there are 2 cables that are open to add a earphone jack wiring..This allows you to connect your phone and play music through the system and also speak on the phone while driving especially if the phone is mounted ontop the dash near you..But the cable system makes it less user friendly
    https://carnity.com/forums/topic/149...d-error03-fix/
    Last edited by Mr.G; 2024/01/22 at 02:30 PM.

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...d.php?p=248409
    Another easier explanation for this

http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/...d.php?p=248409
    Another easier explanation for this
    I currently have an aux cable, but it doesn't get used because 1)there's a short on the cable which makes the sound cut out intermittently (should be an easy fix since I now know where that cable runs so I can do a fresh connection.) and 2) my phone doesn't have a headphone jack slot so using the aux means additional adapter connections that are always a las and getting lost.

A bluetooth aux adapter might be worth a look now that I think about it - will see if there are decent options available and consider this as a plan b.

You obviously dont have the model with the rockford sound in
    I would put an amp in under the seat.Tweeters in the spot available by the side mirrors and mids in the doors.
    post photo of how the unit sits in the facia so we can see what the issue is.
    The 2015 facelift came with the newer headunit but they still pretty crap and have limited options.
    On the older radios there are 2 cables that are open to add a earphone jack wiring..This allows you to connect your phone and play music through the system and also speak on the phone while driving especially if the phone is mounted ontop the dash near you..But the cable system makes it less user friendly
    https://carnity.com/forums/topic/149...d-error03-fix/
    I was under the impression that I already had tweeters in the door mirror thing and mids in the doors? Are the standard speakers trash? Sounds pretty decent with the standard head unit tbh.

Adding an amp under the seat and replacing the speakers start tipping things into the 'expensive upgrade' territory which I thought I could avoid but I guess if you want nice things you have to spend the money :-D

Worth trying to source an original Rockford Fosgate setup from the breakers? How is that amp setup plumbed in?

The rockford systems are good but yours wont have the spot where the sub comes and the rear door speakers holes..The standard headunits are not bad at all but beter speakers do make a difference..Again you will fork our some money for decent split system..Your need seems more to get the android/bluetooth type radio.If the headunit you got sounds crappy then just add the amp and it should give the speakers the power they need to perform.Less expensive route

A little bit more faffing about, and I have it in place now.

Mostly in position, although it could probably be better secured with some mounting putty if I decide to keep it.

It looks OK, but I have to say I am not really loving it - and having serious consideration for going back to stock standard.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240123_093022.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	264.3 KB 
ID:	710814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240123_092937.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	172.6 KB 
ID:	710815 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240123_092956.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	308.5 KB 
ID:	710816

I have also found a Rockford Fosgate branded head unit at the breakers for R1350 (are these the same as the standard one with only the branding added to the face or are there technical differences?)
    Also has the Pajero Rockford Fosgate amp available for R1700 - worth trying to fit this to a SWB? I don't want to add a sub but the breaker might also have RF model door speakers which I thought could be an option.

Is there any point getting these original RF components?

(Someone else has also offered me an old 2-channel Calibra amp for free basically, so that might be an option)
    Last edited by slojo; 2024/01/23 at 10:05 AM.

That actually does not look bad at all.
    I would go to a sound centre.Ask them to hook up an amp to test what difference it would make on current speakers and take from there..I think the head unit will have beter features than any of the Mitsu ones that were or are available for the pajero.

Quote Originally Posted by slojo View Post
    I currently have an aux cable, but it doesn't get used because 1)there's a short on the cable which makes the sound cut out intermittently (should be an easy fix since I now know where that cable runs so I can do a fresh connection.) and 2) my phone doesn't have a headphone jack slot so using the aux means additional adapter connections that are always a las and getting lost.

A bluetooth aux adapter might be worth a look now that I think about it - will see if there are decent options available and consider this as a plan b.
    I had a high quality aux cable installed. The aux plugs into a Sony Bluetooth thing. My tablet goes onto a mount for navigation. This way I can take it out at camp and scroll around and plan my next day.

My sound quality is superb. But it I'd annoying charging the Bluetooth device because of static feedback. So I charge it with a power bank. I suppose I could install a dedicated charger for it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingSunsets View Post
    I had a high quality aux cable installed. The aux plugs into a Sony Bluetooth thing. My tablet goes onto a mount for navigation. This way I can take it out at camp and scroll around and plan my next day.

My sound quality is superb. But it I'd annoying charging the Bluetooth device because of static feedback. So I charge it with a power bank. I suppose I could install a dedicated charger for it.
    This actually sounds like a nice setup - if I end of ditching the android I might look at this route.
    I had a think about it, and my needs are pretty simple; I want to be able to play spotify relatively seamlessly and I want to be able to see my maps navigation on the screen. I think your tablet approach does both of those things anyway.

On the plus side, with my install now I managed to get the steering wheel controls working on the android head unit so that's 1 of my objectives sorted at least.

I'm going to do the various app updates and run this head unit for a few weeks before I make a final call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast