Default Pajero Gen 4 vs Amarok V6 - buying decision

Test driving vehicles to decide what is the best buy for me...any input greatly appreciated.

Decisions

It's between the Amarok V6 and Pajero Gen 4 (see below for full thoughts on test drives). I'd imagine Pajero would be the more reliable and durable. I don't have a sense of ride quality between the two. Assumption would be that Pajero as a SUV would be better than Amarok being a bakkie but not sure if that is correct...anyone have experience of both? Is the Amarok good for a bakkie or just good full stop?

If the Pajero is happy sitting at 120km and feels relaxing to drive then that'll work for me. Rattly and loud at 120km won't work. The Amarok was totally acceptable to me cruising at national speed limits.

I've had a double cab before but in a farm environment where the truck bed got used every day. I really don't need the truck bed now, the Amarok for me is about the drivetrain, comfort. Bakkie is not ideal for me but I can make it work if that really is the best option.

Requirements

- Comfort for road driving (90%). Long distance driving typically 3 to 5 hours in a day with some longer trips cross country at 10 - 12 hours.
    - Comfort and durability for gravel roads (10%). I find they get tedious when you are being rattled to death, nice to be able to move at a good pace and not worry about the vehicle. I also really hate when cars develop rattles, I know the Pajero has this fixable dash problem...
    - More space than I currently have in my 2014 Volvo XC60 D5. I go hiking / climbing in the mountains and need to be able to carry lots of kit / food and typically 2 or 3 full size men. I don't like towing, did enough on the farm and honestly for me it kills the joy of driving!
    - Second row seat comfort for two full size men.
    - Forest trails / farm access when visiting family in the Eastern Cape (Ciskei). Nothing hectic but conditions can get bad after rains and floods.
    - Confidence in reliability when going off beaten path. Want a vehicle I can trust.
    - 2017 to 2020 year with under 100k km, I buy on condition and am a bit of a stickler with my vehicles which I take a lot of pride in. I expect a lot from them but treat them very well.
    - Would like to go to Bots / Nam, something I don't feel comfortable doing with my current vehicle.

Toyotas

I started off with the Prado (150), tried all three engines (3.0, 2.8 and petrol 4.0 V6). Found everything a bit lacking and was the first car I've ever got car sick in whilst driving. My conclusion is this vehicle is too offroad focused for me and doesn't have the on-road manners I'm after. V6 petrol was my favourite engine but tricky getting my head around the fuel consumption. Laughed when the salesman told me I needed to load SD cards for the satnav on a 2019 model retailing at R900k...Do better Toyota! I'm astonished that Toyota is selling the current 2.8 VX for close to 1.3 million Rand new! That just seems totally wild to me.

Tried a Land Cruiser 200 (4.5 V8), the interior was great, so much space and big comfy seats. But a bit pricey and overkill for my application. Also sat in the current gen fortuner and the space was just too small; my head was twisted against the ceiling in the 2nd row seats, really surprised me how cramped it felt.

So that's Toyota out!

Amarok V6

Next up I tried an Amarok V6. Gearbox was great, seamless changes. Lots of power, felt like a car drivetrain. Made me wonder why Toyota have such donkey
    powertrains...I get the tried and tested engine / gearbox argument...but don't see why they couldn't do better...astonished to see the 2.8 is going into the new 250 Prado!

Back seats cramped (I'm 6 foot 3) and couldn't sit behind myself. Also those back seats were pretty upright, rear passenger comfort didn't seem ideal. I get the whole Euro pallet sales pitch but a slightly shorter truck bed and a slightly bigger 2 row seats would have been ideal.

I don't need a Bakkie, so I'm really thinking of the Amarok as a SUV with a big boot. The bakkie jiggle was there but kind of in the background. Not like I remember on the old bakkies.

My preference would be that V6 3.0 and gearbox in a SUV. Haven't looked at Touareg yet, thinking may be out of price range and not sure if this has the durability I need? I may be wrong but I put this in the same camp as XC90, X5, Q7 etc which is not what i would want to take into rural Eastern Cape Ciskei villages etc.

Pajero Gen 4 3.2 DID

So the Pajero, did a test drive. Kind of clicked for me. Vehicle looked very clean. Only had a very short end of day road test and unfortunately didn't get up to highway speeds. So don't have a full picture but just preferred it to the Prado from the moment I left the car dealership. The Pajero didn't have the Prado's wallowy body roll, which for me was unacceptable. The Pajero felt more lively and sturdier. Pajero felt more road biased than the Prado which works for me.

Prado had the better interior, more space in the 2nd row, more headroom, depth adjustment on the steering wheel. But Pajero interior is acceptable to me, I could sit behind my driving position although not endless room in that situation. My usual complaint of sunroofs killing headroom played out in the Pajero. Whenever I can I try to buy vehicles without a sunroof, but seems in this year range they all have them. Intrigued by the 12 speaker Rockford Fosgate audio setup, but didn't get a proper play. I like my music and have been spoiled by Volvo premium sound systems.

Pajero engine vibrates a lot at idle, kind of tractor feeling, but calmed when on the move. Felt more powerful and maybe smoother than the Prado engines. As I say I didn't get to feel the Pajero at highway speed so don't have the full picture.

I tested a second Pajero today and spotted rust on the rear suspension and was able to scrape off sand from the chassis. I guess the dealership was being honest not cleaning that up but was a bit alarming. That one drove poorly despite being two years newer, the suspension gave a tell tale warble. I showed the salesman the rust issue and was on my way. He said the guy before me had pointed out the same suspension issue, but the rust was news to him (interesting!).

Small concern over Pajero parts availability moving forward (I tend to keep my cars for a long time) but people online seem to suggest that isn't an issue(?).

As I've read somewhere on the forums a Pajero with a Rok drivetrain would be my ideal!
    Last edited by OllieZA; 2023/08/24 at 11:03 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to OllieZA For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pajero Gen 4 vs Amarok V6 - buying decision

The amarok is better for front passengers. The Pajero is better for rear Passengers.

Who is your priority.

The Amarok is a drivers car. Twisty mountain roads and it comes to life.

Passing trucks is a breeze.

I agree Vw should have had a Suv on the old Amarok chassis.

Tough choice.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mal Hannes For This Useful Post:

Reading your requirements you need an SUV.

The Amarok will drive the socks of the Pajero, but the Paj will be more comfortable both on gravel and for rear passengers.
    Gert Grobler

VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape; VW Amarok PanAm V6
    Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Sold: Land Cruiser 200 V8 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    Reading your requirements you need an SUV.

The Amarok will drive the socks of the Pajero, but the Paj will be more comfortable both on gravel and for rear passengers.
    O yes, the Paj with the Amarok drivetrain does exists….

It’s called a Touareg
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

The 3,2 is really good and parts are really not an issue, im sure parts pricing would be pretty much on par with VW, both slightly higher than average
    THE BIG TEST
    You must take both on a very bad corrugated dirt road
    The bakkie will be more refined with little cabin noice but not as sure footed
    The pajero has a lot of cabin noise due to all the extra chairs etc.and the fact its a monocoque chassis.
    If you can walk away from that test and the pajero is still a contender then I believe its the right car for you

Not sure of your spend but if you have to chose something that is the best of the 2 vehicles then i would say the new isuzu MUX will be a good option too.

Selling my Amarok Extreme V6 is one of my greatest regrets. Ever. It is that good.
    2021 VW Touareg Executive (190KW)
    2024 Ford Everest Platinum V6 (SWAMBO)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Casper... For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    Selling my Amarok Extreme V6 is one of my greatest regrets. Ever. It is that good.
    Not buying a V6 amarok earlier is one of my greatest regrets.
    Had a handfull of toyotas and a gen4 pajero over the last couple of years. None of them could give me the smile that the rok gives
    Johan Groenewald
    Oldish Wheeler
    With more reasons to sing than to fear

Polo Pickup V6
    Metalian Maxi
    And a couple of quick Subarus

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

I've had two Mitsubishi bakkies and two VW Amaroks...

If durability and reliability is a concern... I'd go for the Amarok hands down.
    I use my Amarok as an SUV, car, bakkie and occasional robot racer. I have no issues driving from Centurion to the Western Cape in a day... It's a very comfortable long-distance cruiser.

The rear seats in the Gen 4 Pajero are terrible. The footwell is too shallow and the seat itself is rock hard... IMHO not a great place to spend any length of time.

In my eyes between your choice of Pajero Gen 4 and Amarok V6... it's definitely the Amarok. But that is looking through my eyes. Only you can decide what you need/like/want.

PS. I'm not in the least bit interested in the new Ford Amarok; that's a different argument.
    VW Amarok V6 DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2011 VW Amarok BiTDI DC 4Motion
    (Ex) 2007 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 DID DC 4x4
    (Ex) 2001 Mitsubishi Colt 2.8 TDI DC 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by Nys View Post
    O yes, the Paj with the Amarok drivetrain does exists….

It’s called a Touareg

Haven't looked at Touareg yet, thinking may be out of price range and not sure if this has the durability I need? I may be wrong but I put this in the same camp as XC90, X5, Q7 etc (low profile tyres, space saver spare etc) which is not what i would want to take into rural Eastern Cape Ciskei villages etc.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OllieZA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Coenoes View Post
    Not buying a V6 amarok earlier is one of my greatest regrets.
    Had a handfull of toyotas and a gen4 pajero over the last couple of years. None of them could give me the smile that the rok gives
    Can you give me a quick summary of how the gen4 Pajero and V6 Amarok compare in your experience?

Quote Originally Posted by OllieZA View Post

Haven't looked at Touareg yet, thinking may be out of price range and not sure if this has the durability I need? I may be wrong but I put this in the same camp as XC90, X5, Q7 etc (low profile tyres, space saver spare etc) which is not what i would want to take into rural Eastern Cape Ciskei villages etc.
    Well, my Touareg is now 8 years old, 145k km's on the clock and I've taken her across Nambia, Towing a Bush Lapa. Swambo is now driving it so it is relegated to school runs and her work (rep).

It is one of the best 4x4 SUV's you can get. The only problem is the space saver spare, which I solved with having a full size spare on the roof rack

Has full 4x4 (low range and rear diff lock). Extremely reliable if maintained properly, just like any other car.
    Gert Grobler

Bush Lapa Ratel 4i 1906

Quote Originally Posted by Casper... View Post
    So the your Touareg wasn't a better replacement? How do they compare? Looks like the latest Touareg may be more road focused than the old one (?) which seemed pretty hardy, particular in this hard to find Escape trim.
    Last edited by OllieZA; 2023/08/25 at 08:57 AM.

You need a toureg. The pajero is a tough durable old school tractor that shines when used for purpose (tough roads). I don't think it's refined enough for you.

Pajero sport would be better suited from the Mitsubishi stable for your use cycle. More refined, easy to drive, not a rattle in sight.

The sport is a good option as the rear seats are comfy and im 6"2 and sit very comfy in them.
    I would not buy the exceed with sunroof as it takes away headroom

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

So the your Touareg wasn't a better replacement? How do they compare? Looks like the latest Touareg may be more road focused than the old one (?) which seemed pretty hardy, particular in this hard to find Escape trim.
    I bought mine new in 2019. I got a bee in my bonnet and did something very unlike me. I listened to peoples opinions.

Apparently the Wolf tuning guy...I can't remember their name was getting fantastic power and fuel consumption figures from their software tuning.
    I bought into the crap...much to SWAMBO's dismay. I got the software done and there my problems started. Fuel consumption was sky high. I used just under half a tank from Blouberg to the Strand in the WC and then back home to Blouberg....all this driving on cruise control set to 110 km/hr.

I reverted to VW software but the damage had been done. Warranty gone. At 27K VW tried pulling a fast one. I saw them coming and cut my losses and got the Touareg.

This latest model is way softer, quicker, extremely powerful and fuel efficient than the 7P model. I owned 2 of the previous model. Absolutely fantastic vehicles. Comfortable, fuel efficient and everything a family needs, irrespective the journey.

I only keep my vehicles till about 60K so I cannot comment on service costs etc, as motor plan covers those. I had absolutely no issues.

If I had not been an ass...I'd still have that Amarok today.

Test driving vehicles to decide what is the best buy for me...any input greatly appreciated.

Decisions

As I've read somewhere on the forums a Pajero with a Rok drivetrain would be my ideal!
    VW Touareg 7P 2013-2018 is what you want. It has developed its own cult following for good reason. i have been deep into the Transkie (Mpuzi, Mbolombo, Mpame, PSJ...) with mine on 20inch road tyres and towing a venter behind me.
    Current: RRS SDV8
    Current: Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: G6 GTi DSG

Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (illegally redistributed)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw Monster

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Kish2604 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kish2604 View Post
    VW Touareg 7P 2013-2018 is what you want. It has developed its own cult following for good reason. i have been deep into the Transkie (Mpuzi, Mbolombo, Mpame, PSJ...) with mine on 20inch road tyres and towing a venter behind me.
    Do you have coil suspension or air suspension?

My first had coil and second air. I preferred the coil suspension. It just handled that much better.

Mine has coils....
    Current: RRS SDV8
    Current: Touareg 3.0Tdi R-Line
    Current: G6 GTi DSG

Ex:Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto 4x4 XLT (illegally redistributed)
    Ex:Paj DiD SWB Auto
    Ex:E92 335i 430kw Monster

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kish2604 For This Useful Post:

Can you give me a quick summary of how the gen4 Pajero and V6 Amarok compare in your experience?
    I loved the pajero. Felt luxurious and the front seats were awesome, good sound system to hide the noisy engine. Capable offroad, easy to cruise in. Did 1520km in one day and wasn't exhausted afterwards.
    But it was powerless especially when towing and trying to overtake. Also lots of roll making for a boaty drive.
    The amarok previous generation doesn't have the same luxury (manual seat adjustments) etc. Much more sure-footed on the road and off-road. But the best of all is the power to tow and to overtake without worrying. Very stable when towing.
    Drives like a suv, lacks the legroom in the rear seat but the width makes up for it in a way. 5 seats as apposed to 7 but more versatile because of the loadbin.
    Drove 2 million km in bakkies. Isuzu, Ford, mazda, nissan, toyota and now amarok. Amarok wins for me.
    Johan Groenewald
    Oldish Wheeler
    With more reasons to sing than to fear

Polo Pickup V6
    Metalian Maxi
    And a couple of quick Subarus

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Coenoes For This Useful Post:

To close this thread out I ended up with a 200 series cruiser Found the right one at the right price with some overlanding bits and pieces pre-installed. I've taken it to Cederberg (many times), Tanka, Hogsback, Wild coast and Baviaanskloof. I wasn't sure how much overlanding I'd really do...but this vehicle with the preinstalled RTT, got me into it and I'm super happy with my choice. Looking forward to doing Namibia and Botswana in the winter. Thanks for all the assistance and advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5113.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	422.8 KB 
ID:	714526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	f92eab77-6e89-4a64-9048-eb697bb6b66d.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	366.0 KB 
ID:	714527  
    Last edited by OllieZA; 2024/02/20 at 12:14 PM.

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OllieZA For This Useful Post: