Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28

Thread: New to Pajero

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default New to Pajero

    Hi All,

    I'm considering buying a 2015 Pajero sport with very low mileage, around 84000km. It is a 2.5DI-D.
    What are things I should consider when buying this model? I'm new to Pajero. I don't know anything about them.
    Could I get some insights around
    1) Service intervals and what to look out for?
    2) Any known issues.
    3) When are the major expenses that need to be considered, such as timing belt etc.

    Appreciate any info I can get.

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,511
    Thanked: 2868

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    The 2015 is the right one to buy.
    The only issue i know of is the aircon pump can give troubles.So test it thoroughly and make sure it works properly.
    Services or service parts are really not expensive but i found the stealers ask stupid money for basic stuff when they know its a big service.
    My friend has a 2015 4x2 auto and his is on 390 000km,no engine issues..Only his aircon pump gave issues (expensive to replace)and i think his power steering belt snapped

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    The 2015 is the right one to buy.
    The only issue i know of is the aircon pump can give troubles.So test it thoroughly and make sure it works properly.
    Services or service parts are really not expensive but i found the stealers ask stupid money for basic stuff when they know its a big service.
    My friend has a 2015 4x2 auto and his is on 390 000km,no engine issues..Only his aircon pump gave issues (expensive to replace)and i think his power steering belt snapped

    Thanks for the response.
    Does the 2.5TDi has a timing belt or timing chain?

    The vehicle currenly has 83500km. The next service is at 90000km. What can I expect to pay for that service?
    The dealership is also adding 4 news Bridgestone AT tires + Spare... And two new front shocks and ball joints. That, I felt was nice of them...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Bloemfontein
    Age
    48
    Posts
    7,511
    Thanked: 2868

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    It has a belt.Cant remember if its done at 90000 or 120000 but brace yourself as if done at a mitsu dealer they might rip you..Maybe get quotes ate the dealer and maybe even mitsi Tech in Alberton.Other than that make sure the service history is up to date.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    Does the 2.5TDi has a timing belt or timing chain?

    The vehicle currenly has 83500km. The next service is at 90000km. What can I expect to pay for that service?
    The dealership is also adding 4 news Bridgestone AT tires + Spare... And two new front shocks and ball joints. That, I felt was nice of them...
    Quite nice of them!

    So, on the timing belt. My 2015 is now due for it's timing belt replacement at 160k km. Its been well documented on this forum that the prescribed replacement every 90k km is too late, 80k km is saver. I would quiz them about that as well, they will probably push back as it's not exactly cheap (kit only from Bosch is R6k).

    Very important as well that you will need to replace the timing belt AS WELL AS the balancer shaft belt and pulleys. On mine the balance shaft pulley ceased and it tore off all the teeth on the belt. Luckily it did not cause the timing belt to jump off as well.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    Quite nice of them!

    So, on the timing belt. My 2015 is now due for it's timing belt replacement at 160k km. Its been well documented on this forum that the prescribed replacement every 90k km is too late, 80k km is saver. I would quiz them about that as well, they will probably push back as it's not exactly cheap (kit only from Bosch is R6k).

    Very important as well that you will need to replace the timing belt AS WELL AS the balancer shaft belt and pulleys. On mine the balance shaft pulley ceased and it tore off all the teeth on the belt. Luckily it did not cause the timing belt to jump off as well.
    This is a very useful info. Thank you very much. I see there is a full service history so I can chase it up as well.

  9. #7
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    This is a very useful info. Thank you very much. I see there is a full service history so I can chase it up as well.
    Just check. Sometimes they only replace the timing belt and not the balance shaft. BOTH need to be replaced
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Where do you reckon is the best place to service the Pajero? I am in Pretoria, Centurion area. I have SAC near me. Would you recommend those guys?

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Linden
    Posts
    2,436
    Thanked: 6530

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Where do you reckon is the best place to service the Pajero? I am in Pretoria, Centurion area. I have SAC near me. Would you recommend those guys?
    No.

    In atlasville there is an indy that's been looking after mitsu's since his diaper days, if you prepared to take the drive, ill private msg you the number if you want it?

    Then there is mitsi tech in alberton, if you're prepared to wait months for a booking.

    And there is also a mitsu indy in pretoria north if i recall, cant remember the name, sure someone will come along and mention it.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Morne - Skip For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by Morne - Skip View Post
    No.

    In atlasville there is an indy that's been looking after mitsu's since his diaper days, if you prepared to take the drive, ill private msg you the number if you want it?

    Then there is mitsi tech in alberton, if you're prepared to wait months for a booking.

    And there is also a mitsu indy in pretoria north if i recall, cant remember the name, sure someone will come along and mention it.
    You don't need to wait months for a Mitsi Tech appointment - just phone. Longest I have waited was 2 weeks. I prefer them even though I am also in Centurion.

    The Pta north guy - Henk De Klerk in Pretoria North at Pajero Maintenance Services. +27 (83) 306-1848 (from previous forum post)

    Best Mitsubishi dealer/service center imo is MMER - Mitsubishi Motors East Rand
    Last edited by Hendel1986; 2023/08/10 at 09:22 PM.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hendel1986 For This Useful Post:


  16. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Is it just me or this 2.5TD engine is bloody loud. My ears ache from it.

  17. #12
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Is it just me or this 2.5TD engine is bloody loud. My ears ache from it.
    I like the clatter oh and the waste gate flutter now and then. Sure the snorkel helps amplify this.

    With everything going on, and probably not the best sound deadening, it's not the quietest ride around.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    185
    Thanked: 84

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Is it just me or this 2.5TD engine is bloody loud. My ears ache from it.
    It is not the most refined engine out there, but there is nothing wrong with it. I always enjoyed the sound of the turbo on mine, a lot more wastegate noise than most modern day diesels. A basic tune from Mitsitech and it pulls like mad.
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶M̶a̶z̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶X̶-̶5̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶ ̶A̶/̶T̶
    ̶2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶M̶i̶t̶s̶u̶b̶i̶s̶h̶i̶ ̶P̶a̶j̶e̶r̶o̶ ̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶ ̶4̶x̶4̶ ̶A̶/̶T̶
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C A/T (MQ Series)

  19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to plakkie For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by plakkie View Post
    It is not the most refined engine out there, but there is nothing wrong with it. I always enjoyed the sound of the turbo on mine, a lot more wastegate noise than most modern day diesels. A basic tune from Mitsitech and it pulls like mad.
    On my wish list:

    Larger fuel tank (the 60l is just not great when on the long road)
    76mm SS exhaust
    Mitsi Tech Performance Tune.


    ...but these things are not cheap. Every time I saved up enough, I need to service mine (about R5-6k every time)
    Last edited by Hendel1986; 2023/08/13 at 09:45 AM.
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    I really struggle with it in town. Feel a bit sluggish and noisy. Took it on a short trip out yesterday. It performs beautifully on the highway and on gravel. Quiet in the cabin and fuel consumption is not bad at all either.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to ihtun101 For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    I really struggle with it in town. Feel a bit sluggish and noisy. Took it on a short trip out yesterday. It performs beautifully on the highway and on gravel. Quiet in the cabin and fuel consumption is not bad at all either.
    Depends on your driving style. I have adapted my style/expectations in town. I take it easy. If I do have to do a quick pull away, I use the shift paddles, as I have learned that most of the time the gearbox wants to pull away in 2nd. Just tap once so it goes to 1st and floor it. Plenty quick then I my books.

    The map does make a huge difference though, well wotht the money
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  24. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Location
    Pretoria
    Posts
    185
    Thanked: 84

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by Hendel1986 View Post
    On my wish list:

    Larger fuel tank (the 60l is just not great when on the long road)
    76mm SS exhaust
    Mitsi Tech Performance Tune.
    The tune was not too bad when I did it a few years ago, I think it was in the region of +-R4700, and it made a huge difference to the way it drove. As for the rest I never bothered, I saw it as a waste of money. If you already have a roof rack on the vehicle then 2x jerry cans is more than enough to get you anywhere. I did a few full laps of Bots with mine over the years and had no issues to speak of and never had issues with fuel capacity either.
    ̶2̶0̶1̶6̶ ̶M̶a̶z̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶X̶-̶5̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶ ̶A̶/̶T̶
    ̶2̶0̶1̶4̶ ̶M̶i̶t̶s̶u̶b̶i̶s̶h̶i̶ ̶P̶a̶j̶e̶r̶o̶ ̶S̶p̶o̶r̶t̶ ̶2̶.̶5̶ ̶4̶x̶4̶ ̶A̶/̶T̶
    2017 Mitsubishi Triton 2.4 D/C A/T (MQ Series)

  25. #18
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    862
    Thanked: 758

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by plakkie View Post
    The tune was not too bad when I did it a few years ago, I think it was in the region of +-R4700, and it made a huge difference to the way it drove. As for the rest I never bothered, I saw it as a waste of money. If you already have a roof rack on the vehicle then 2x jerry cans is more than enough to get you anywhere. I did a few full laps of Bots with mine over the years and had no issues to speak of and never had issues with fuel capacity either.
    Your argument makes a bit more sense. Speaking of roof racks, I bought the Shogun version, which came with a roof rack - however, not properly fitted with load bars, only tied to the OEM rails. Not the best as my FIL learned on a few Nam trips (he has a 3.2). Rails best etc.

    I would just "like" a SS free flow, and the extended tank is quite expensive (R15k). Current price on map with Arnold is R5550
    2015 Pajero Sport Shogun
    2012 Kia Cerato Hatch

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    47
    Posts
    101
    Thanked: 28

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Another Newb question. Do I have Super Select on this model? Would I be able to drive 4H on the tar?

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Linden
    Posts
    2,436
    Thanked: 6530

    Default Re: New to Pajero

    Quote Originally Posted by ihtun101 View Post
    Another Newb question. Do I have Super Select on this model? Would I be able to drive 4H on the tar?
    SS

    2H
    4H (this is the open diff suited for tar driving)
    4HLc
    4LLc

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
  •