Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Montana 600 On/Off switch

I recently asked members on this forum for a cradle for my Montana 600 to replace mine that had been damaged.
    Several members responded and I was kindly given a replacement cradle, solving my problem.
    The power of this forum once again.

Besides the cradle issue, the On/Off switch actuator on my Montana had disintegrated from sun damage and I was surprised to find that there many others with similar failures.
    I designed and printed a replacement switch actuator using TPU (flexible) filament and the switch works perfectly once again, and is still waterproof.

If there are any members that have a similar problem and would like a replacement actuator just PM me for one - no charge except for postage.
    If you need music in the bush or on the beach, youíre missing the point.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Montana 600 On/Off switch

PRA,

I sent you a message, mine's switch packed up some time ago.

Thanks

Tobie
    Tobie Oosthuizen
    2020 Pajero 3.2L DiD Exceed
    Frontrunner Slimline roofrack

Hi PRA,

I sent you a PM

Regards

Wow, that is great, but the disintegrating rubber of the on/off switch is only one of the problems I experience with my Montana. All due to mounting in the cradle on the windscreen and sun/heat related.

First I lost the switch, which crumbled away, then the battery did not want to charge when the unit is hot from the sun, thus I started losing data when the battery is discharged as the lighter socket into which the cradle is plugged on the Jimny is ACC powered, having no power when the ign is switched off. Changed to a permanent on socket for the cradle but now but the Li battery is beyond rescue and a new battery will have the same issue with heat.

Then the LCD screen started developing tearing lines coming from the top. First I got them to go away after seeing a Youtube hack of putting it in the freezer overnight. After a while freezing does not remove the tears anymore and they are growing longer (towards the bottom) over time.

The unit is still usable, obviously with a couple of irritations, but what to replace it with? It is a good unit that served my use profile like a glove.

Glad you can help others with this switch issue, but I'm curious if you have started seeing my other problem already as all have the same cause, heat from the sun.
    Cobus
    Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by jab2 View Post
    .... disintegrating rubber of the on/off switch,
    ..... the battery did not want to charge when the unit is hot from the sun,
    ..... losing data
    ..... LCD screen started developing tearing lines coming from the top,
    .... I'm curious if you have started seeing my other problem already as all have the same cause, heat from the sun.
    Wow.
    My On/Off switch actuator disintegrated and my battery sometimes feels really hot, otherwise all OK.
    It's a really nice GPS but not sure what I would replace it with.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Wow, that is great, but the disintegrating rubber of the on/off switch is only one of the problems I experience with my Montana. All due to mounting in the cradle on the windscreen and sun/heat related.

First I lost the switch, which crumbled away, then the battery did not want to charge when the unit is hot from the sun, thus I started losing data when the battery is discharged as the lighter socket into which the cradle is plugged on the Jimny is ACC powered, having no power when the ign is switched off. Changed to a permanent on socket for the cradle but now but the Li battery is beyond rescue and a new battery will have the same issue with heat.

Then the LCD screen started developing tearing lines coming from the top. First I got them to go away after seeing a Youtube hack of putting it in the freezer overnight. After a while freezing does not remove the tears anymore and they are growing longer (towards the bottom) over time.

The unit is still usable, obviously with a couple of irritations, but what to replace it with? It is a good unit that served my use profile like a glove.

Glad you can help others with this switch issue, but I'm curious if you have started seeing my other problem already as all have the same cause, heat from the sun.
    I got the same issue leaving it in the sun, thanks will try this.
    It is odd that is has a cradle but cant take the sun.
    "K.a.k Wheeler"

I'm a moron, but humour me.

GWM P Series 4x4 Limited
    (4x4) Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual + 2017 XL Auto, Haval H9
    Ex 320d E90, Maz MPS 2.3 DISI, CITI Golf MKI,
    Ford Anglia 307E in British racing green, my first car ❤

9. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    Wow.
    My On/Off switch actuator disintegrated and my battery sometimes feels really hot, otherwise all OK.
    It's a really nice GPS but not sure what I would replace it with.
    Hi PRA

My Montana switch also disintegrated I send you a PM.

I purchased a Garmin Overlander to replace my Montana ...long and short I DONT like the Overlander at all. Not user friendly as the Montana especially T4A Explorer features on it. Looking to buy a Montana 700 rather hopefully its more user friendly.

I recently asked members on this forum for a cradle for my Montana 600 to replace mine that had been damaged.
    Several members responded and I was kindly given a replacement cradle, solving my problem.

Besides the cradle issue, the On/Off switch actuator on my Montana had disintegrated from sun damage and I was surprised to find that there many others with similar failures.
    I designed and printed a replacement switch actuator using TPU (flexible) filament and the switch works perfectly once again, and is still waterproof.

If there are any members that have a similar problem and would like a replacement actuator just PM me for one - no charge except for postage.
    Do you have pictures if the the switch that you repaired/replaced. I have switches on my eTrex that disintegrated due to the sun and I want to see if they are similar.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

PM sent

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    Do you have pictures if the the switch that you repaired/replaced. I have switches on my eTrex that disintegrated due to the sun and I want to see if they are similar.
    This repair does not replace the On/Off switch itself.
    This repair replaces the perished flexible switch actuator that presses onto the actual On/Off switch that is mounted on the printed circuit board.
    Attached are some images showing the top & bottom of the replacement switch actuator, and the actuator affixed to the Montana 600 GPS with SuperGlue.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 13.22.59.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	902.2 KB 
ID:	692389   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 13.24.25.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	692390   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-02 at 13.25.15.png 
Views:	57 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	692391  

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

This repair does not replace the On/Off switch itself.
    This repair replaces the perished flexible switch actuator that presses onto the actual On/Off switch that is mounted on the printed circuit board.
    Attached are some images showing the top & bottom of the replacement switch actuator, and the actuator affixed to the Montana 600 GPS with SuperGlue.
    That is exactly the same problem on the eTrex. As a temp fix I cut a small piece off a 6mm dowl stick, put it inside the hole and covered that with insolation tape around the edge of the eTrex. . But I'll have to make a more permanent plan. The insolation tape doesn't like the sun in the windscreen either.
    Live life to the fullest....no matter what!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniek View Post
    That is exactly the same problem on the eTrex. As a temp fix I cut a small piece off a 6mm dowl stick, put it inside the hole and covered that with insolation tape around the edge of the eTrex. . But I'll have to make a more permanent plan. The insolation tape doesn't like the sun in the windscreen either.
    If you want, measure the pad size and the 'dowel', do a sketch and sent that to me (PM me for contact details).
    I'll print some for actuators for you and that should/could resolve your problem.

I recently did some switches and hooter buttons for the Land Rover of another forum member that worked like a charm.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

PM sent.
    Kobus

Default Montana 600 On/Off switch - Installation

I had a lot of requests for replacement actuators for the Montana 600 On/Off switch and have started shipping them off to those who requested them, as well as already having delivered some.
    I've been asked how to install this replacement part and thought it would be easier to post it on this thread for all to see, instead of providing individual instructions.

1. Carefully cut/scrape away some of the casing material so a Ī8mm diameter aperture is formed directly above the On/Off switch (mounted on the internal pcb).
    This is to allow for the new actuator to flex when pressed.
    2. Clean the casing around this newly formed aperture
    3. Position the replacement actuator with centre of the cross on the actuator being directly above the switch on the pcb and with the short arm of the cross pointing to the front of the Montana.
    The 'pin' of the actuator should now be perfectly aligned with the toggle on the switch
    4. Try operating the switch and when correctly positioned use a pencil to mark the position of the actuator pad on the casing.
    5. Remove the actuator and carefully apply some superglue in the area marked off by the pencil.
    Be careful not to apply too much superglue!
    TIP - Put a drop of superglue on a piece of plastic and use a pin or toothpick to pick up and smear the superglue in position on the Montana.
    6. Carefully position the new actuator and hold firmly in place for 30 seconds
    7. That should be it - you're good to go again.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 14.38.58.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	2.13 MB 
ID:	693900   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 15.13.45.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	693901  

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Iíve now shipped units to all that had requested them.
    If Iíve missed anyone please PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Thank you very much PRA, I have received mine this morning

Regards

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Wielie For This Useful Post:

PRA

30+ Garmins back on the road with this fix.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

30+ Garmins back on the road with this fix.
    Thanks again, it works great

I also have this LCD screen with lines issue, and battery issues.

The 600 is slowly but surely deteriorating.

Missing my V that lasted for ages without any issues.
    Martin Prinsloo

if only life came with a ◄◄ REW ► PLAY ▌▌PAUSE █▌STOP

2015 VW Caravelle 4Motion
    2011 VW Touareg 3.6 FSI V6 (With Air Susp) - SWAMBO

Quote Originally Posted by blouhond007 View Post
    I also have this LCD screen with lines issue, and battery issues.

The 600 is slowly but surely deteriorating.

Missing my V that lasted for ages without any issues.
    I have one of the early 600s - Gray import, pre official SA release.

It is still doing well. Currently I only have the On/Off switch issue. Last year I got a new battery from TakeAlot. Screen is without problems.

All in all, it was a good buy.
    Kobus

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast