Default Gortech Scissors Jack or Air Jack Bag

Hi All
    My wife and I will be traveling from Kasane through Savuti and Khwai to Maun in Aug/Sept.
    Just 1 vehicle. Given the sandy and possible wet conditions we are thinking of adding to our equipment with either the Gortech jack or air jack bag. We have a 3 ton bottle jack and a hi lift jack. The hi lift will only work on the rear as no lifting points fitted.
    Any advice would be welcome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mickey12 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Gortech Scissors Jack or Air Jack Bag

Air jack bags work very well , but:

They need to be the type that blows up by compressor

You need to practice with it, before you go on a trip.

A hi lift jack would get you out of most tough spots, but again, you need to know how to use it.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

GOF Club

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

The HI-LIFT JACK MATE works great in a recovery situation where you don't have lifting points and even if you do have. The wheel gets lifted off the ground immediately, no suspension travel to deal with. (Not usable on all vehicles, depends on the rim, tire and wheel arches)

https://4x4direct.co.za/high-lift-ja...515561956.html

https://campandclimb.co.za/product/lift-mate-4x4-2250kg

https://www.safaricentrecapetown.co....ack-lift-mate/

I think the Gortech Scissors Jack is a great piece of equipment for any 4x4 enthusiast, just get a solid piece of wood or something similar for a base in soft sand.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Ive got one of the Goretech Scissor Jacks https://www.gortech.co.za/product/sc...ght-extension/

A very strong and capable jack with a very nifty height extender

I recenty got their Heavy duty bag, very good quality!

I do however need some advice, that might help the OP or someone else as well..

• I tried my Bosch Cordless Drill on it ( GSB - 180), but no, 45 Nm is not good enough to either lift a Fortuner or my Metalian Maxi Trailer under the axle.

• I also tried the Bosch GDX-180 Impact Driver, and still not strong enough, but very bad for the scissor jack from what I've read

• I tried the larger Einheill @60Nm and that seems to work, just just, but I want something better in quality

• Ingcos largest Cordless does not lift either, I thing its 45Nm

• I'm Currently looking at the Stanley V20 Fatmax Cordless drill @80 Nm @R2700. Has anybody have any experience with it ?
      • I want maximum benefit at average price and not willing to go the De Walt 6.5k+ Route
    Tow Vehicle: Fortuner GD6 2.8 4x4 Man
    Trailer: Metallian Maxi, Victron 12/800, Commander360 Awning, BunduTop
    Mobile: HF: Icom IC7000, VHF: Kenwood NX720
    QTH HF/VHF: Icom 746Pro
    Ham Callsign: ZS6GJV
    Profession: SQL Data Architect

I bought a Gortech (no hi lift jack as it is a hilux - the landcruiser in Kenya has a hilift) and it works well. I use a 13mm socket and 1/2” ratchet with an extending arm to work it. This sort of thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-03068A-...06&sr=8-7&th=1

I then bought an airbag too. I think either will do, but as said, practise with them. Inflating the airbag and then discovering the deflate valve is buried in the sand can make it a long afternoon!

I would say both, if you only take one, the airbag.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey12 View Post
    Hi All
    My wife and I will be traveling from Kasane through Savuti and Khwai to Maun in Aug/Sept.
    Just 1 vehicle. Given the sandy and possible wet conditions we are thinking of adding to our equipment with either the Gortech jack or air jack bag. We have a 3 ton bottle jack and a hi lift jack. The hi lift will only work on the rear as no lifting points fitted.
    Any advice would be welcome.
    Hi there , have you considered the 12volt jack from JACKHUB….we have the 10 ton version in
    the Cruiser and works really well.
    Regards
    Frans
    IF I HAVE TO WORK, I AM NOT DOING MY JOB

2023 Defender 110 D300
    Land Cruiser ( Inkunzi camper )

Quote Originally Posted by GideonM View Post
    Ive got one of the Goretech Scissor Jacks https://www.gortech.co.za/product/sc...ght-extension/

A very strong and capable jack with a very nifty height extender

I recenty got their Heavy duty bag, very good quality!

I do however need some advice, that might help the OP or someone else as well..

• I tried my Bosch Cordless Drill on it ( GSB - 180), but no, 45 Nm is not good enough to either lift a Fortuner or my Metalian Maxi Trailer under the axle.

• I also tried the Bosch GDX-180 Impact Driver, and still not strong enough, but very bad for the scissor jack from what I've read

• I tried the larger Einheill @60Nm and that seems to work, just just, but I want something better in quality

• Ingcos largest Cordless does not lift either, I thing its 45Nm

• I'm Currently looking at the Stanley V20 Fatmax Cordless drill @80 Nm @R2700. Has anybody have any experience with it ?
      • I want maximum benefit at average price and not willing to go the De Walt 6.5k+ Route
    Hi Gideon, I use a Makita drill that has 91nm and it works like a charm.