Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Lesotho Entry....Take Note!!!

Guys if you're towing anything into Lesotho
    TAKE NOTE PLEASE.....this is VERY important, you WILL NOT be able to go through as always.
    LOTS of Paperwork needed, otherwise you pay 10% of the Value of whatever you're towing in "Import Duty"....(dont worry I dont believe and/or understand this myself).
    PLEASE just take this seriously, couple guys with a boat, bikes have been forced to turn around and head home on Friday ... this is FIRST HAND info, not Hearsay.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Lesotho Entry....Take Note!!!

What papers are required?

Same as rest of SADIC? Certified proof of registration with permission from owner/bank?
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

This would have been funny, but then this is the African way of incompatance and extortion.
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luka For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post
    What papers are required?

Same as rest of SADIC? Certified proof of registration with permission from owner/bank?
    Nope, lots more
    I dunno myself, to be honest, we were just VERY lucky no one stopped us

......We were VERY lucky Friday Morning, we got through without anyone stopping us.
    From what I heard from SARS Guys on the SA side:
    1) the trailer and everything on it must be fully insured
    2) value of the stuff must be produced, either Invoices or some sort of official Valuation
    3) stuff must be "cleared" by a "Clearing Agent"
    4) certified copy of trailer's Natis, also of vehicles on trailer, if it's a boat, valid COF and Buoyancy
    .....this is what I know of.
    One Guy with a boat had ALL of these and they still insisted on that 10%of value payment (which in his case would've been 10% of R 600000.....).
    Arttie turned back to Vanderbijlpark RIGHT there and then.
    How did we go through
    We were VERY lucky, no one checked /stopped us.
    Apparently a Letter from the place where we are staying SHOULD have helped.
    We didnt have one anyway, we only heard about this on late Thursday afternoon.

Biting the hand that feeds you?

One has to wonder about this, what brought this on?

Why only on towed equipment and not the vehicle also?

Daar is 'n slang in die gras....
    Robert van den Berg
    Old Wheeler

The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Prof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Prof View Post
    One has to wonder about this, what brought this on?

Why only on towed equipment and not the vehicle also?

Daar is 'n slang in die gras....
    Talked to a Guy at Motebong, apparently the "mines" put pressure here, probably mining equipment that gets lost or stolen or something.....really VERY vague.
    And I dont know what's needed myself, to be honest, we were just VERY lucky no one checked us.
    Maybe it was teatime or something

Now I neeed to figure out how installations and maintenance teams will be affected by this BS...
    Aby way I can ask for official comms on this?
    2019 Pajero Sport 2.4 4x4
    Echo 2 Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd View Post
    Now I neeed to figure out how installations and maintenance teams will be affected by this BS...
    Aby way I can ask for official comms on this?
    We only heard about this late Thursday afternoon....so we have no clue ourselves, to be honest.
    But this is REALLY an issue, 2 Guys that I personally know have turned around on Thursday.
    I'd say call a Border Post, or maybe Maseru Tourism, maybe AA or something.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Has anyone got an update on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Guys if you're towing anything into Lesotho
    TAKE NOTE PLEASE.....this is VERY important, you WILL NOT be able to go through as always.
    LOTS of Paperwork needed, otherwise you pay 10% of the Value of whatever you're towing in "Import Duty"....(dont worry I dont believe and/or understand this myself).
    PLEASE just take this seriously, couple guys with a boat, bikes have been forced to turn around and head home on Friday ... this is FIRST HAND info, not Hearsay.
    Die is net soos as jy in Mosambiek in gaan moet papier werk h vir as jy iets sleep en moet derde-party uit haal op die die ding wat jy sleep en ook se wat dit werd is omtrent.

Quote Originally Posted by Davedusty View Post
    Has anyone got an update on this?
    Dave, I'd say call the AA or something before you tow something in there.
    We only heard (1st hand info) about this in the evening before we left....and just got VERY lucky at the Caledonspoort Border Post.
    But DEFINITELY find out exactly what's what before you go.
    This isn't bangpraat stories nie Guys, you WILL be making a U-Turn if you don't have everything, and the Border Official is having a bad hair day.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Ek rep amper weekliks in Lesotho uit Bethlehem deur Caledonspoort. Ek is nou so 4weke nie daar deur nie.

Die rels en regulasies verander elke week en dis nie meer n plesier nie. Daar loop ook stories van reps wat gearresteer word omdat maatskappye nou in Lesotho moet local wees om te mag rep/canvass/verkoop. Ons is geregistreer vir uitvoer, so ek verstaan dit nie. Op die oomblik is ek bang om in te gaan totdat ek weet wat aangaan. Ek wil nie toegesluit word daar omdat ek my werk doen nie.

Nou al van Desember van klomp ouens gehoor wat hulle wou toesluit, dan betaal hulle bribes en dan laat gaan hulle hulle weer. Ongelukkig niks eerstehands nie, maar iets is nie lekker nie. Ek is bevrees as hulle so aangaan gaan iemand iewers honger lei aan daai kant.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacMcD For This Useful Post:

As a General Rule:
    If you do any form of Work in Lesotho, you need a Work Permit, get that from Dept of Labour in Maseru. If you work in Lesotho without a Work Permit, that is where the problems come in...

For anything you want to get cross border, either on a trailer or back of your bakkie - you need to do a Temp Export, through a Clearing agent, you c=pay a VAT Deposit for Temp Exports, and no payment or anything required to bring back to SA, once you return to SA, you start the process of re-claiming your deport back from the Lesotho Revenue Services...

This has always been the processes for the Mines, and it the same for any country you go to when taking items cross border, there are exceptions, for example, if you drive a vehicle across border, it can cross without any payments, but if it is towed or on a Lowbed, then the deposits apply. Returning an SA Registered vehicle on a trailer or rollback not a problem, as you are bringing it back to source country, but not the other way round... Best would be to speak to a registered clearing agent, they will be able to give all the facts and details
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Christo Davids For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    As a General Rule:
    If you do any form of Work in Lesotho, you need a Work Permit, get that from Dept of Labour in Maseru. If you work in Lesotho without a Work Permit, that is where the problems come in...

For anything you want to get cross border, either on a trailer or back of your bakkie - you need to do a Temp Export, through a Clearing agent, you c=pay a VAT Deposit for Temp Exports, and no payment or anything required to bring back to SA, once you return to SA, you start the process of re-claiming your deport back from the Lesotho Revenue Services...

This has always been the processes for the Mines, and it the same for any country you go to when taking items cross border, there are exceptions, for example, if you drive a vehicle across border, it can cross without any payments, but if it is towed or on a Lowbed, then the deposits apply. Returning an SA Registered vehicle on a trailer or rollback not a problem, as you are bringing it back to source country, but not the other way round... Best would be to speak to a registered clearing agent, they will be able to give all the facts and details
    Thanks Mater!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MacMcD View Post
    Ek rep amper weekliks in Lesotho uit Bethlehem deur Caledonspoort. Ek is nou so 4weke nie daar deur nie.

Die rels en regulasies verander elke week en dis nie meer n plesier nie. Daar loop ook stories van reps wat gearresteer word omdat maatskappye nou in Lesotho moet local wees om te mag rep/canvass/verkoop. Ons is geregistreer vir uitvoer, so ek verstaan dit nie. Op die oomblik is ek bang om in te gaan totdat ek weet wat aangaan. Ek wil nie toegesluit word daar omdat ek my werk doen nie.

Nou al van Desember van klomp ouens gehoor wat hulle wou toesluit, dan betaal hulle bribes en dan laat gaan hulle hulle weer. Ongelukkig niks eerstehands nie, maar iets is nie lekker nie. Ek is bevrees as hulle so aangaan gaan iemand iewers honger lei aan daai kant.
    Ek het beslis 'n DISTINCT feeling van "Bribe and I'll look the other way" gekry toe ons paar weke terug by Ha Lejone was.

Lesotho sien my beslis nie gou weer nie.

Ek hoop hulle weet hoe om die Roof of Africa Spanne en Spactators te hanteer - anders is daai Rally ook een van die dae .n sweet memory - vir Lesotho, anyway.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

Does this mean that if you have,for example, your ground tent and camp chairs, tables, fridge, whatever in the load bay that this would apply
    Believe it or not, I have never been to Lesotho although it is so close to home!!
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2023/07/31 at 02:50 PM.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Eish, too damn cold there.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Does this mean that if you have,for example, your ground tent and camp chairs, tables, fridge, whatever in the load bay that this would apply
    Believe it or not, I have never been to Lesotho although it is so close to home!!
    Peter, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in how things are applied

I remember a couple of years ago, at the Botswana Border, you got a form from SARS where you wrote all the items down, upon entry, and upon exit that was returned and that was it. But the Rules have changed so much, I cannot think that you would have to do the whole temp import process as a tourist, but you never know. For work purposes, definitely, that is the route to follow. Hopefully some sanity will prevail with regards to imports for Tourists visiting the country, otherwise it can very quickly stop all tourists...
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Christo Davids For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast