Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Lesotho Entry....Take Note!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Christo Davids View Post
    Peter, there seems to be a lot of inconsistencies in how things are applied

I remember a couple of years ago, at the Botswana Border, you got a form from SARS where you wrote all the items down, upon entry, and upon exit that was returned and that was it. But the Rules have changed so much, I cannot think that you would have to do the whole temp import process as a tourist, but you never know. For work purposes, definitely, that is the route to follow. Hopefully some sanity will prevail with regards to imports for Tourists visiting the country, otherwise it can very quickly stop all tourists...
    I talked to some Guys at Ha Lejone.
    Apparently the Mining Industry has/had some theft etc, so anything that is towed now needs to be "VAT'ed" to try counter this.
    Crazy yes I know.
    But anyway
    And whatever, to be honest.
    Again....I've had my fun and games there, but not again in the foreseeable future.
    Sorry but that's it, from my side anyway.
    They're not gonna miss Petri and his Son(s), but we also have alternatives.
    Win Win for all involved.
    Easy as that.

Ek wou nog gaan carnage canyon, maar sou voertuig waarmee ek dit wou doen op trailer. Nie lus om 3000km met n trialcar te gedoen het nie. Oh well, dan soek ons maar iets naders
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Did gaan moeilik wees vir die Roof of Africa!!! Ons het mos nie al die papiere vir die plastics nie??

Which border post was this please?

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    ......We were VERY lucky Friday Morning, we got through without anyone stopping us.
    From what I heard from SARS Guys on the SA side:
    1) the trailer and everything on it must be fully insured
    2) value of the stuff must be produced, either Invoices or some sort of official Valuation
    3) stuff must be "cleared" by a "Clearing Agent"
    4) certified copy of trailer's Natis, also of vehicles on trailer, if it's a boat, valid COF and Buoyancy
    .....this is what I know of.
    One Guy with a boat had ALL of these and they still insisted on that 10%of value payment (which in his case would've been 10% of R 600000.....).
    Arttie turned back to Vanderbijlpark RIGHT there and then.
    How did we go through
    We were VERY lucky, no one checked /stopped us.
    Apparently a Letter from the place where we are staying SHOULD have helped.
    We didnt have one anyway, we only heard about this on late Thursday afternoon.

I wonder what happens if you enter through a different entry point to where you depart?
    I was planning to go in at Ongeluks Nek and exit at Quatches Nek. Ongeluks doesn't have a manned gate on one of the sides.
    2008 Colt 2.8 TDI Double Cab 4X2
    2001 Discovery II V8 ES; Chevy LM7 motor ;4" liift ; 2" body lift ; 35" muds ;Branches ;Free Flow ;CDL Link Done

Angry Re: Lesotho Entry....Take Note!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Guys if you're towing anything into Lesotho
    TAKE NOTE PLEASE.....this is VERY important, you WILL NOT be able to go through as always.
    LOTS of Paperwork needed, otherwise you pay 10% of the Value of whatever you're towing in "Import Duty"....(dont worry I dont believe and/or understand this myself).
    PLEASE just take this seriously, couple guys with a boat, bikes have been forced to turn around and head home on Friday ... this is FIRST HAND info, not Hearsay.
    If only SAPS and the SANDF posted at border crossings had the same enthusiasm before letting in the illegal Lesotho miners coming to cause havoc here...

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mzimba For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D Curtis View Post
    I wonder what happens if you enter through a different entry point to where you depart?
    I was planning to go in at Ongeluks Nek and exit at Quatches Nek. Ongeluks doesn't have a manned gate on one of the sides.
    Do you by any chance have recent info on the condition of the road from Ongeluks Nek into Lesotho? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by JB74W View Post
    Do you by any chance have recent info on the condition of the road from Ongeluks Nek into Lesotho? Thanks.
    No I don't. I haven't done that route for a few years.
    Will do a recci ride on the bikes before we go.
    2008 Colt 2.8 TDI Double Cab 4X2
    2001 Discovery II V8 ES; Chevy LM7 motor ;4" liift ; 2" body lift ; 35" muds ;Branches ;Free Flow ;CDL Link Done

Makes me feel nostalgic for my first and only visit, not to Botswana, but
    to Bechuanaland, about fifty nine years ago.

Whats now is Botswana was still a British Protectorate administered from then Mafeking.

Clearing the border between Zeerust and Lobatse:

Two bare footed local constables inlight Khaki shorts and tops.
    No paperwork whatsoever. Just told to report to the District Commissioner in Lobatse which I did.

I was then travelling on another passport than a South African, which was printed besides English and French in another language not commonly known locally.

When I reported to the DC he had one look at my passport and then addressed me in the other, uncommon language.

That country was previously also under British control for a while, and the local British DC went to kindergarten and primary school there because his father was stationed there for a while.

Small World

My current problem isn't getting my Jeep into Botswana and Namibia, but getting the ATF (Authority to Fly) for my NTCA (Non Type Certificated Aircraft) validated to fly to those territories, and the first obstacle to surmount was getting from ICASA a proper Radio Station Licence for my airborne communication radios. This was locally insurmountable for a number of years, and everyone flying locally was getting away with a proof of payment of the license fee, which unfortunately is not acceptable in Botswana or Namibia.

The other problem is that while I could afford my new little four seater plus licensing, insurance, fuel and maintenance, accommodation at most of my dream destinations will cost me for one night more than the total cost of flying my plane from Cape Town to Dar El Sallam and back.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to uri For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JB74W View Post
    Ongeluksnek only has a border post on the ZA side at the bottom of the pass.
    The condition of the road is bad, off-road bike and horse territiory. With a car it may be possible (if it is a proper 4x4), but bring a chain saw and be prepared for some road building.
    You will not need to declare anything on the trailer, it will be on it's roof in the valley down below.

Anyone with updates on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Bats View Post
    Which border post was this please?
    Fouriesburg (Meiringskloof)

we did a trip in Dec/Jan 2023-2024 ,went in at Sani Pass and out through Maseru ,no trailer however loaded SUV with all camping equipment with roof rack
    no problems at all, Sani Pass took 3 minutes ,Maseru line was longer took 10 minutes ,however nobody even looked at the vehicle

Martin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Mcw For This Useful Post:

RL1

Good day. We are so sorry to read this. We were wanting to plan a trip via Golden Gate through Lesotho down Sani Pass and then the game parks in Kwa Zulu Natal. Do you think that this is unwise? Or what do we need to do?

One would think that a country like Lesotho needs ever cent it can get from tourism, and that it would make more sense for them to make it easier for tourists to visit and spend money locally than the opposite. I see the complaints here, and I have to chuckle. My wife is a guide for foreign tourists. If these tourists want to simply do a day-trip or an overnight trip up Sani Pass and back, they are charged 150 USD for a Visa, for which you have to apply beforehand.

That's a cool almost 3k ZAR before you have even bought a beer at the highest pub in Africa. Typical Africa, where it seems every body has their heads up their butts, and care only for self enrichment rather than creating opportunities for growth and general upliftment of the population. So sad.

We now recommend against the trip to Lesotho. It just is not worth it.
    Hyundai Terracan 2007 2.9Crdi - Tjm suspension & lift, Frontrunner roofrack, snorkel, rims blah, blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfenrico View Post
    One would think that a country like Lesotho needs ever cent it can get from tourism, and that it would make more sense for them to make it easier for tourists to visit and spend money locally than the opposite. I see the complaints here, and I have to chuckle. My wife is a guide for foreign tourists. If these tourists want to simply do a day-trip or an overnight trip up Sani Pass and back, they are charged 150 USD for a Visa, for which you have to apply beforehand.

That's a cool almost 3k ZAR before you have even bought a beer at the highest pub in Africa. Typical Africa, where it seems every body has their heads up their butts, and care only for self enrichment rather than creating opportunities for growth and general upliftment of the population. So sad.

Sadly, for that kind of money, the highest pub in Africa will lose patrons by the hundreds. It isnt worth that kind of money just to drink a cold one in their bar.
    Toyota Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4
    2011 Mazda 2 Auto "Die Dorp Karretjie"

I remember some years ago having a discussion, about this in a pub with a foreigner who was living in Zim.
    My view was we should make it cheaper and easier for tourists to spend money as well as want to come back at some future date to spend more money.
    She saw nothing wrong in having a higher rate of entry, etc for foreign tourists. This just burns my butt how we treat foreigners. It's like saying, bend over, we going to take you for everything you have, and we do not care if you do not come back.
    Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, or maybe just am wiser now as to how these government places misappropriate and squander the funds, which drives them on an never ending spiral of taking more and more from the cake
    Just my two cents rant on Africa and it's tourist policies.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Surfenrico View Post

Just checking, is this fee applicable for single day entry only, or all border posts and for all entries?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Patroller View Post
    Just checking, is this fee applicable for single day entry only, or all border posts and for all entries?
    Thanks
    The fee is applicable, even if you go the the pub for an hour. You are of course welcome to offer the border guards a bribe instead. It is Africa after all...
    Hyundai Terracan 2007 2.9Crdi - Tjm suspension & lift, Frontrunner roofrack, snorkel, rims blah, blah blah.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispzim View Post
    I remember some years ago having a discussion, about this in a pub with a foreigner who was living in Zim.
    My view was we should make it cheaper and easier for tourists to spend money as well as want to come back at some future date to spend more money.
    She saw nothing wrong in having a higher rate of entry, etc for foreign tourists. This just burns my butt how we treat foreigners. It's like saying, bend over, we going to take you for everything you have, and we do not care if you do not come back.
    Maybe I'm just a bit old fashioned, or maybe just am wiser now as to how these government places misappropriate and squander the funds, which drives them on an never ending spiral of taking more and more from the cake
    Just my two cents rant on Africa and it's tourist policies.
    I do not have that much of an issue with making tourists pay more than locals. In fact, it really is a question of viewing the glass half full or half empty. I would say it is a good thing to give locals a discount. The currency difference makes the more expensive price for foreigners a pittance, but really pricey for locals.

There should however be a limit. Charging the full Visa fee for a couple of hours at the pub (which is in fact technically in South Africa, not in Lesotho) is ripping the arse out of the chicken. In fact, what you are effectively paying for is a short drive for a few hundred metres on Lesotho territory, to get to the pub on South African soil. You cannot make this stuff up!

What the pub should do, is to build a stairlift down to the parking lot in front of the border post. They will get a lot more business.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2