Mazda Drifter 4x4 front wheel vibration

Default Mazda Drifter 4x4 front wheel vibration

Your help,please, guys.
    I bought a 2nd hand 2005 Mazda Drifter B2600i petrol single cab 4x4 bakkie 6 months ago. It had 142,000kms on the clock and a diff whine. The diff was worn so I had it repaired and the clutch re-lined at the same time. I have since driven 10,000km
    I am very happy with the vehicle, I much prefer it to my 1999 3l Hilux diesel, which it has replaced.
    There is one nasty problem, however:
    For some months when driving on tarmac, usually in 5th gear at about 80kph, it occasionally develops a severe juddering vibration in both front wheels. This rapidly becomes so severe that I have to immediately slow down or I may lose control. The vibration then disappears. It is very hard to reproduce. It often seems to happen on the same section of road, sometimes when driving around a bend, but I am frustratingly unable to reprodce it when I wish to demonstare to a mechanic. It does not appear to occur on gravel corrugations. My farm driver, who uses it much more often than I do, has the same problem. It is becoming more frequent.
    I have checked the wheel balance. Tyre wear appears even (Conti TRACAT 245/75R15c). The tyres will need replacement soon.
    I think the vibration may have something to do with the steering or front suspension as I suspect it may be related to undulations of the tarmac.
    I drive off road in the mountains with no other problems so far.
    I will be most greatful for any advice or opinions.

I had the exact same thing on my previous bakkie - also a 2.5TDi Ford
    Seems to be worst when it is cold outside - funny enough
    Tried everything, nothing solved it, untill I replaced the tyres
    When I fitted new tyres the vibration was gone completely
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Thanks Christo. I also have noticed that it seems worse when colder, often occurs in the early morning, but not in midafternoon on the same run. ? Possibly related to tyre pressures.
    I will try rotating my tyres and then perhaps increase the front pressure beyond 2.1kpa.
    What tyres did you have and what did you replace them with? Mine will need replacing soon.
    Last edited by bergie1; 2009/06/22 at 09:35 PM. Reason: duplicate

Thanks Christo. I also have noticed that it seems worse when colder, often occurs in the early morning, but not in midafternoon on the same run. ? Possibly related to tyre pressures.
    I will try rotating my tyres and then perhaps increase the front pressure beyond 2.1kpa.
    What tyres did you have and what did you replace them with? Mine will need replacing soon.

interesting topic!!

have a similar problem, however just not as bad as described above, some days seems as if something is wrong with vibration witch I can only suspect from something rotating, then the next day is as smooth a silk!!
    will keep an eye on the temperature thing, and have different tyres to what is described above!! have Nankangs!! and in my case tyres far from being replaced!!!

Today it was freezing cold so, bearing in mind that the vibration seems worse when its cold, I upped the front wheel tyre pressure from 2.1 to 2.3kpa.If anything the vibration became worse. I then dropped the pressure to 2.0kpa and the vibration seemed much the same: at its cld day worst.
    So another theory bites the dust!
    I still think the vibration is to do with harmonics (whatever that may mean) on an undulatingt surface. It is very like a wheel out of balance, but really violent. When I have a mo in a few days time I will try rotating the wheels.
    As the wheel balance has been checked, I remain puzzled. Could be witchcraft.

I had dunlop SP Trackgrip before, fitted BFG AT and never looked back. Tyres had about 5 - 10k km left on them, but I replaced them anyway - fitted 32x11.5R15, rather than the standard 245/75R15

I tried various things with the old tyres and could just not solve it. Mine started vibrating at around 80 and continued vibrating till around 105kph, beyond 105 the vibration was gone - I did balancing, alignment, nothing helped

Mine also did not always vibrate, sometimes hardly noticeable, sometimes very severe, as you described above. Definitely worst when cold though - outside temp, even after driving 100km, they would still vibrate between 80 and 110

BF's still running very smoothly though - no problems whatsoever
    Last edited by Christo Davids; 2009/06/23 at 08:31 PM.
    Christo Davids
    Land Cruiser 105 4500 EFI
    Hilux 2.8GD6 Extracab 4x4

Thanks again,Christo.
    It certainly sounds like the same problem. I guess I will eventually just have to change the tyres.
    1. Were the Dunlops your first set of tyres, if not did the previous tyres give the same problem?
    2. Did the problem only start after the Dunlops had become worn?
    3. What prompted the change to a different size tyre? Do you think that was the answer? BFG are currently very expensive (R1480)compared with Bridgstone(900).
    Sorry to pester, but you have been most helpful.

I also need to check the steering and suspension. I can't do this before Monday, as my wife has taken it into the mountains.

Has anyone else had the same problem?

Thumbs up

Hi guys,
    My 2c worth!
    Take your bakkie to a tyre dealership that can measure Force variation on your wheels, The machine has a steel drum that rotates against your wheel on the machine and measures the fv in Newtons.
    The machine is called a Hunter GSP9700.
    Let them measure the Fv. Match the tyres to the vehicle with the lowest fv on the RF, second lowest LF and then RR and last LR.
    If the fv exceeds 120N, you will have a bit of a shaky ride.
    Make sure the tyres are warm and the pressures are correct, or at least all the same.
    Let them set the machine to LIGHT TRUCK tyres!
    Good luck

Question

MSR .. do you perhaps have the name of the tyre dealer who has one of those machines ?

Hi, sorry I dont.
    Try a Tiger wheel and tyre. TWT.
    We have one, but not for public use, sorry.

is it not maybe the steering arm damper that is buggered? sounds like cold would affect that as it is oil based (i think)
    my 2c worth
    i only work to support my hobbies!!! 2006 mazda d/c sac intercooled, optimised, 31' bfg's

Default Problem solved! The end of a long saga.

I was frustrated in not being able to demonstrate this intermittent juddering of the front wheels to my usual mechanic. He said the various steering joints did not show significant wear.
    I took the bakkie to Tiger Wheel and Tyre who said that there was significant wear of the steeing joints and referred me to Silencer and CV Joint Shop who quoted R775+480 (Pitman arm) + 175 (wheel alignment). They were sure that this would fix the problem.
    My mechanic then sent the bakkie to Wheels who could find no problem with the steering, etc. The juddering persisted. I took the vehicle to SupaQuick who also could find no significant wear on the steering. Back to my mechanic who sent the vehicle back to Wheels. They still could find nothing wrong with the steering. They did however now manage to demonstrate the juddering on road testing. They then moved both front wheels to the rear, since when there has been no further vibration (10 days)! My tyres are nearing the end of their tread.
    I suppose that there is some slight steering wear which together with some unnoticeable irregularity of the tyres caused the severe vibration over certain uneven surfaces at the right frequency. I have heard of several others who had the same problem which resolved on fitting new tyres. This was not a balance problem as that was the first thing I checked.
    At least confidence in my usual mechanic is fully restored.
    Thanks for your various suggestions.

DVR Guest

Hi guys, I'f been reading this hole thread very carefully, and the more I read the more I realised that this is not just a problem with Mazda/Ford , but with every single car on the road.Must admit that much more in 4x4's, for the simple reason standing higher of the ground, so centre of gravity higher.In the shortwheel base's it is much more comman,in name the jeep wrangler.They call it the "DEATH WOBBLE" it is a result of a mutitude of problems. Normally by name , play on steering components upper and lower controle ball joints and the idlerarm and last on the Ford/Mazda the upper controlarm bushes. As far as I know the weakest component after the front diff . What happens, with just the right amount of play in diffrent components, and the right frequency normally aggravated by the tyres ,result vibration, wobble call it what ever you want.

DVR I think you have hit the nail on the head.

I found that I hada similar problem with my Isuzu 2.8TD D/C, each time I got to 80km/h the vibration started and I had the same problems as you with trying to reproduce it. I eventually had my mechanic put the Isuzu on stands and I worked through the gears untill it appeared. this was when we found that the prop shaft was faulty. Once I had I repaired problem solved. Then I bought a Mazda 2.5 4x4 D/C and after a particularly heavey trip to Malawi a similar problem manifested itself, but this time as I pulled off in 1st gear only. The first thing I checked was the diff and the agent and various diff experts said that their was nothing wrong. The agents said that it was a clutch shudder and replaced a reletively new cluch. No Change. After 2 years of trying to solve the problem I noticed that the rear springs were a bit pap andd had them retensioned. This imediately solved the problem which had been the angle of the diff.

A shot in the dark could it maybe be a suspension problem

Bad tyres seem to have a aggravating effect but wont cure the problem.

Ive recently found out these fords / Mazdas develop this problem when rubbers and bushes wear out in front.

I recently had the Idler arm and left upper control arm bushes replaced and ive seen a drastic 80% reduction, where the problem is now reduced to a little vibration when hitting a bad patch in the road instead of a death wobble.

However id like to cure the problem completely so I want to have the workshop inspect the pitman and the other side's control arm bushes.

Good luck!
    RW
    Johan
    ZS6DMX
    Sierra Victor 7

Member:
    Hamnet Emergency Communications (Gauteng South Division)
    Disaster Management Communication Volunteers (East Rand Division)
    Land Cruiser Club - Southern Africa