Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Default Let's talk Luxpower

As per title. A space to share, discuss, complain, rate, ask or what have you.

As a start we would have to mention specifically what model we are talking about in each post. The SNA offgrid hybrid or the LXP grid-tied hybrid.

I cannot unfortunately share too much about the LXP (hoping others will), but I will try to share about my experience and discoveries thus far with the SNA and some sources that has helped me.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2
    (One legit and one platkar masquerading as a GV)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Let's talk Luxpower

My Setup: I have the 5 Kw SNA. 2x 5.12kw CFE5100s batteries and 7x panels (3x555w on one string and 4x545w on the other). It is connected on my DB to all lights and plugs inside the House. Not connected, geyser, pool and heatpump, Stove and Garage. Lastmentioned was tactical, did not want garden services to run things off my inverter.

I found these videos informative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrJsh8-JRBw

On both the online monitoring and settings and on app one can engage and disengage the "PV and AC take load together" function. This is a hybrid function that blends available PV and AC. It works really well but should only be used if you are planning on engaging AC. I will explain later on.

The setting makes you use your panels as much as is available at that point in time to charge the batteries and carry the load. If PV is not enough, it will blend in AC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS2NewLwOyg&t=3347s

This is an extremely thorough video and requires some concentration and patience.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

I'm here

Been running since August 2022

2x SNA5000's and 4x Dyness 5.1kW

20x 470W Panels

I run everything including Geyser, Borehole pump, pressure pump als through my system ..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Total Grid.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	689348   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	May 2023.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	689349  
    Last edited by spicydave; 2023/05/26 at 02:09 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hou op om almal altyd gelukkig te probeer hou, Jy is nie n braaibroodjie nie

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spicydave For This Useful Post:

New

The "problem" discovered with the take-load-together- function

It is only helpful if you have set up your inverter to take charge from AC. (Depending on how your system is structured of course). Without charge being enabled (which you can do either via time schedules, battery state of charge or battery voltage) the inverter will not use any AC... however with the hybrid function enabled it seems to operate differently. It does not take AC but would now and again take a few watts off the grid if available. Yet to figure out why.

You will also hear the audible "click" sound when eskom goes out, sometimes this goes hand in hand with a millisecond dip in your lights.

If this function is disabled and no charge setting is scheduled, there is no dip or click for that matter.

Currently that is how I am managing the system. If my batteries has not gotten full yet during the the day, I schedule a charge period "According to time". If I do that during the day then only will I engage the hybrid function as to draw the max from PV while AC is only assisting, else your panels will idle while AC bliksems the batteries and carry the full load.

My installer, who has about four of the SNA's in parallel at his humble abode has another problem. I am not sure if my above playing of settings could help him, but what essentially happens is that with large loads his power dips for a few seconds when eskom goes off.
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    The "problem" discovered with the take-load-together- function

It is only helpful if you have set up your inverter to take charge from AC. (Depending on how your system is structured of course). Without charge being enabled (which you can do either via time schedules, battery state of charge or battery voltage) the inverter will not use any AC... however with the hybrid function enabled it seems to operate differently. It does not take AC but would now and again take a few watts off the grid if available. Yet to figure out why. As the inverter need power to function and pulse the grid to make sure it is available if a sudden spike hits

You will also hear the audible "click" sound when eskom goes out, sometimes this goes hand in hand with a millisecond dip in your lights.

If this function is disabled and no charge setting is scheduled, there is no dip or click for that matter.

Currently that is how I am managing the system. If my batteries has not gotten full yet during the the day, I schedule a charge period "According to time". If I do that during the day then only will I engage the hybrid function as to draw the max from PV while AC is only assisting, else your panels will idle while AC bliksems the batteries and carry the full load.

My installer, who has about four of the SNA's in parallel at his humble abode has another problem. I am not sure if my above playing of settings could help him, but what essentially happens is that with large loads his power dips for a few seconds when eskom goes off.
    He must make sure his AC Settings is on UPS and he does have NE Bonding on the output of the inverter ...

Another thing is if your PV and AC Jointly is not enabled and You have a spike, You will get a EPS Overload alert and Your inverter will switch off for around 5-mins
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NE Bond.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	68.6 KB 
ID:	689351  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by spicydave; 2023/05/26 at 02:24 PM.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8. The Following User Says Thank You to spicydave For This Useful Post:

New

Quote Originally Posted by spicydave View Post
    He must make sure his AC Settings is on UPS and he does have NE Bonding on the output of the inverter ...

Another thing is if your PV and AC Jointly is not enabled and You have a spike, You will get a EPS Overload alert and Your inverter will switch off for around 5-mins

That has possibly happened with the installer. I have never had this with EPS. Actually prefer running it off EPS so I do not have that click in the switchover. Highest "spike I have had is about 3.3kw. So... what is considered to be a "spike"?

Thanks for the input Dave. I was hoping that there will be knowledgeable Luxpower members on here...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

I'm here

20x 470W Panels

I run everything including Geyser, Borehole pump, pressure pump als through my system ..

Awesome system you have there!

Have you ever dabbled with the backfeed function? All I know is that we shouldn't. To much that could go wrong.

But was wondering about a certain scenario. If I switch mains off... would I be able to run some of the items not connected to the inverter via this backfeed function Somthing tells me screaming, fire and burning to ensue...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

That explanation (attachment) seems to be aimed at the LXP?
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

Quote Originally Posted by New View Post
    Awesome system you have there!

Have you ever dabbled with the backfeed function? All I know is that we shouldn't. To much that could go wrong.

But was wondering about a certain scenario. If I switch mains off... would I be able to run some of the items not connected to the inverter via this backfeed function Somthing tells me screaming, fire and burning to ensue...
    No I have not and also not planning to test

I'm here

20x 470W Panels

I do not know why people would opt for a 5kW Dye / Sunsunk instead of two 5kW Luxpowers for the same price?

Quote Originally Posted by NvN View Post
    I do not know why people would opt for a 5kW Dye / Sunsunk instead of two 5kW Luxpowers for the same price?

There will be pros and cons either way. But the biggest difference comes down basic diffs of grid-tie vis off grid... ergo essentials and non essentials wrt backfeeding.

This would not bother Dave though as he has gone clean off grid it seems with a makulu size system...
    Sarel
    "Grent" Vitara x 2

15. The Following User Says Thank You to New For This Useful Post:

NvN

I have two SNA 5000 inverters with two CFE5100s batteries.

Upon installing the second inverter myself, I asked an installer to assist with the necessary settings of both inverters, to ensure they run correctly. I enquired about the connection of the batteries to the inverters, as I originally connected each battery to its own inverter. The installer suggested connecting both batteries in series to both inverters, as this is better for the cycling of the batteries. Apparently if the batteries are connected in parallel, the one battery set as master works "harder" than the battery set as slave.

I am unsure whether this is true, and if I am now damaging the batteries with this connection set-up. The system works well, apart from it also utilising AC in the mornings to carry load, when the panels provide enough power to carry all the load and charge the batteries.

I am also unable to see the system in parallel on the app, and cannot figure out how to set it up. I have to select each inverter on its own to see the power usage.
    Life's a journey..................even longer by foot

Awesome ... NOW 4x4 Alternative Energy Section is becoming a wealth of new knowledge (over time) ... and the good questions are being asked, like DrifX!

YES!!!

Enjoy guys.
    Political Correctness
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional illogical minority, rabidly promoted by a unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd ... by the clean end!

Saw this in a pub - no idea why the wife does not see it so:
    I'm not opinionated ... I'm just always right!

Quote Originally Posted by DrifX View Post
    I have two SNA 5000 inverters with two CFE5100s batteries.

Upon installing the second inverter myself, I asked an installer to assist with the necessary settings of both inverters, to ensure they run correctly. I enquired about the connection of the batteries to the inverters, as I originally connected each battery to its own inverter. The installer suggested connecting both batteries in series to both inverters, as this is better for the cycling of the batteries. Apparently if the batteries are connected in parallel, the one battery set as master works "harder" than the battery set as slave.

I am unsure whether this is true, and if I am now damaging the batteries with this connection set-up. The system works well, apart from it also utilising AC in the mornings to carry load, when the panels provide enough power to carry all the load and charge the batteries.

I am also unable to see the system in parallel on the app, and cannot figure out how to set it up. I have to select each inverter on its own to see the power usage.
    2x Batteries connected to a "Pull Fuse" or "Buzz-Bar" then to each battery

Parallel You only connect the master battery to the master inverter and setup battery share

For the simple reason If you loose an inverter You don't loose the battery

You welcome to drop me a PM with your serial number and I'll quickly tell you and also setup your parallel view

Another thing is that the installers never do Firmware updates

Updates is there for a reason and I always tell the people to be updated

Especially in a parallel setup, inverters must always be on the same version else You will get sync issues and then it's Luxpower that is ###

Almost 90% of customers also charge the battery at a specific SOC%%

There is other ways as to only set Your EOD to that %% and then let AC take over as that is normally during night when load is less

Battery will just sit at say 50% and start charging when PV is enough .....

Communication between battery and inverter is KEY ....

Always make sure that You buy a compatible battery so You don't end-up on Lead Acid mode

BMS is there for a reason ....

2x Batteries connected to a "Pull Fuse" or "Buzz-Bar" then to each battery

Parallel You only connect the master battery to the master inverter and setup battery share

For the simple reason If you loose an inverter You don't loose the battery

You welcome to drop me a PM with your serial number and I'll quickly tell you and also setup your parallel view
    Both batteries connected to a "Pull Fuse", with positive and negative from each battery connected to each fuse.

I was told that the battery share function does not work well, and therefore the connection as described. Guess each installer will have their own preference.

I will send you a PM, thank you for offering.

Quote Originally Posted by DrifX View Post
    Both batteries connected to a "Pull Fuse", with positive and negative from each battery connected to each fuse.

I was told that the battery share function does not work well, and therefore the connection as described. Guess each installer will have their own preference.

I will send you a PM, thank you for offering.
    No , it work perfect

Thank you so much SpicyDave for all your help.

I have been pulling out the hair I really donít have trying to make out heads or tails with the settings of my inverters. I really appreciate your help, and that on a Friday evening.

Guys, this is a man that deserves a Bellís.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrifX For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast