Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unhappy Body Lift kit to accomodate 245/75/16

Top of the morning to you all....

I have fitted a Ironman suspension kit to my KJ, as you can see of my recent post here: http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ead.php?t=4471

I have to purchase a brand new set of tyres though and I was looking at installing 245/75/16's, BUT still have some body clearance issues that needs sorting out first:

I want to know if there is a body lift kit out there, somewhere, that can fit the KJ? I have KUMHO AT 245/70/16's fitted, and experience body clearance issues even with them (you can see on the one photo).

I'm VERY keen and INTERESTED in fitting MAXXIS Bighorn's, but can only get them in 245/75/16's.

If I cannot get a body lift kit, then I will have to go for the KUMHO's AT again, but their price have almost doubled since last I got them (previous price R1000 p/t vs R1900 p/t now). The MAXXIS will set me back R1700 p/t.

Need assistance please

FJ CRUISER
    87L Long Range Tank
    Bushwacker Fender Flares

Default Body Lift

I also want a body lift kit, i am running the same tyre size and all info will be appreciated.
    Isuzu KB300 D-teq auto 4x4 D/Cab
    1996 Nissan Patrol.........To be continued!!

Andre Thuynsma

Well on the international forums you'll find plenty instructions with photos of fitting 245/75/16's.

Basically you have to:
    - Fit bigger bumpstops in the back.
    - Hammer flat the pinch weld in the front.
    - Slightly bend in the fog light door plastic in front.

Then you are good to go.

Isn't the KJ a uni-body like the XJ? Dont think you can fit a "body" lift. There are quite a few budget lifts out there, mainly consisting of coil spacers etc.

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

RedJ in 100% rite! You cant fit a body lift kit to the KJ.

Per 2005's have no problems fitting that size 245/75/16 just the bump stops in the rear and on full lock your front wheel will rub the anti-sway bar but is fine. I had them on my KJ for a while. It just push my CRD fuel usage up to 16 / 17L pre 100Km.

2005 on just do what nomie said in his post and you will be fine they will fit.

What Red-J said - you can't do a body lift and we know it (i.e. by fitting spacers between the body and the chassis), however you can lift it further with a budget lift kit. These consist of spacers on the rear coils and you can get a strut spacer up front. It seems your rear wheels will have more space if you can centre them in the wheel well when flexed. Not sure what adjustability a KJ has on its rear suspension, but that and some extra bumpstops should help....definately go for the 245/75's, if they rub you can always sort it out afterwards

2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD Limited (totally original for now)

What level of clearance have you achieved with the Ironman Lift so far 4X4BYFAR?
    Jeremy
    '05 Cherokee 2.8 CRD
    '98 Kadett 200 ISE

I stumbled apon this site and thought it might be of interest to all the KJ drivers out there.
    Lots of lifts, specs and pictures.

http://www.lostkjs.com/forum/phpBB2/...ic.php?t=18924

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID
    6,5"Lift | TNT Customs Y-Link Longarm Upgrade |BDS Coils | JKS Quicker Disconnects | OME Leafs | 2,5" Block & JKS 1" Boomerang shackles | Skyjacker Nitro Shocks | Bushwacker Fender Flares | 33"Cooper STTs | IPF Headlight upgrade |6" KC Daylighter Spots | Gobi-X Bumpers & Rock-sliders | Airflow Snorkel | ARB Lockers | 4.56 ratios |G2 HD D35 Shafts | Rear Disk Brake Conversion | HD Steering Upgrade

[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    What level of clearance have you achieved with the Ironman Lift so far 4X4BYFAR?
    Hi Jeremiah

I measured it but have to check on my Ironman fitment sheet - don't have it with me.

Will look over weekend and will share with you later.

FJ CRUISER
    87L Long Range Tank
    Bushwacker Fender Flares

Quote Originally Posted by nomie2 View Post
    Well on the international forums you'll find plenty instructions with photos of fitting 245/75/16's.

Basically you have to:
    - Fit bigger bumpstops in the back.
    - Hammer flat the pinch weld in the front.
    - Slightly bend in the fog light door plastic in front.

Then you are good to go.
    Thank you for your advise.

Where can I get hold of bumpstops please?

Cheers!

FJ CRUISER
    87L Long Range Tank
    Bushwacker Fender Flares

Thanks - appreciate that. Am busy acquiring quotes on a lift for my KJ. Your wheel concerns are being watched closely as I'd also like to go to a 75 profile, but I already have a bit of rubbing with 245/70/16's...

The very helpful post from Red-J just shows how many different aspects there are to all of this. Oddly, it appears that the guy's with 17" rims are experiencing less issues than those with 16's. Methinks Apollo was on the ball when he mentioned there are 10 different spring set-ups used in the KJ. It's only these differences that could account for the wide variation in results from so many different vehicles.

We live - we learn...
    Jeremy
    '05 Cherokee 2.8 CRD
    '98 Kadett 200 ISE

Jeremiah,

Please keep us posted on what you decide to do.
    If we lift the KJ I would probably look into getting a budget kit imported from the States.
    Last edited by Red-J; 2009/06/29 at 04:44 PM.

1999 Jeep XJ 4.0L Sport
    2012 PajeroSport 3,2 DID

[/URL]

Will keep you posted. It seems that Ironman parts are in short supply so I've been chatting to Cris of R&D and seeing where we can go from here. Will probably have to wait on parts shipment. Was hoping to have it all sorted by time of the D&D Fund day on 26 July, but - that is probably wishful thinking. Guess I'm entering the Stock class for that event...
    Jeremy
    '05 Cherokee 2.8 CRD
    '98 Kadett 200 ISE

If the front end is lifted more than 75mm the front CV joints will not last, The CV's must be machined to allow for the tilt angle of the sideshaft. Severe klanking noises will be heard when the front suspension extends as the upper control arm hits the coil spring. The easiest way to obtain more lift is to fit the KK clevis, The KK clevis is 12 mm longer than the KJ clevis and will give an additional 24 MM lift(approx R1100 for the pair last time I enquired).

Thanks Selwyn. My idea is to raise it a little, within the factory allowable spec so as to avoid these very issues - and inherent costs!! It's my daily drive so if I can get 1.5" or 2" and fit 75 profile Muddies - I will have reached the happy compromise. The heavy trails and obtacles will have to wait for a tricked out Rubi.
    Jeremy
    '05 Cherokee 2.8 CRD
    '98 Kadett 200 ISE

Hi Jeremiah
    Go for a 43mm lift up front., Change the studs on the upper shock mounting plate to 45mm, and fit a 20mm aluminum spacer plate between the upper shock mount and the body.
    I have made a set of drawings, also built spring compressors so that the job is easy.
    At the back, have a new set of coil springs made, in compressed form on the vehicle the spring must be 45 mm longer. Under R2000.00 for the setup. Have Tiger Wheel do the alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by Selwyn View Post
    If the front end is lifted more than 75mm the front CV joints will not last, The CV's must be machined to allow for the tilt angle of the sideshaft. Severe klanking noises will be heard when the front suspension extends as the upper control arm hits the coil spring. The easiest way to obtain more lift is to fit the KK clevis, The KK clevis is 12 mm longer than the KJ clevis and will give an additional 24 MM lift(approx R1100 for the pair last time I enquired).

Dont i wish the KK was around when i did my lift in my KJ! Do you know if the KK upper control arm is the same as the KJ or is it a little longer as well? If it is longer that would solve the aliment with a lift over 50mm and the drive would did better?

Selwyn, thank you for that info. Most helpful and sounds very cost effective too. I'm no mechanical boffin so I will have to find someone to make your suggestions happen. Thanks again.
    Jeremy
    '05 Cherokee 2.8 CRD
    '98 Kadett 200 ISE

Hi Apollo. To the best of my knowledge the KJ & KK UCA's are the same. One day I will build local UCA's, currently I cannot find a matching ball joint in SA. The jeep ball joint is cast as part of the UCA.

Morning 4x4xFAR,
    Also fitted Ironman to my Jeep and experienced the following problem... After a month or so they became very noisy. Apparently the top seal goes dry and causes this irratable sound. Keep your Ironman warranty in a safe place. I also understand that Ironman has stopped production of all lift kits for all Jeep brands (at least locally). Enjoy the newly gained clearance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast