Opinion on Makro Wilderness Trailer

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Opinion on Makro Wilderness Trailer

Hi guys,

What's the opinion on the Wilderness trailers sold by Makro? My application would be more for camping and an overland tour every 2years or so.
    Is it worth buying a trailer?

You can get better touring trailers for more or less the same price second hand! Access is an issue with those trailers.
    Everything is a hammer.
    Unless it is a screw driver.

Then it it a chisel.

Default makro trailer

u can also look at the Venter Bushbaby for +/- R25000

I'm looking 2nd hand at the moment.
    Uys, I also had a look as the access issue. Not having experience with these things, i'm nog sure what works and what doesn't. My thinking is that most trailers where you need to open the top lid to pack stuff, is going to be a problem.
    Correct me if i'm wrong?

I agree! Bel my, dan kom kyk jy daar by my na die potensiele probleme - nul agt drie 300 twee nul vier ses.
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

The Wilderness seems to be a slightly toned down version of the Challenger sold by Safari centre and others. I have a Challenger and is in the process of kitting it out to suit my needs. Uys is right regrading the access and one has to set the trailer up with careful thought. I have a caravan and did not want to have a trailer that is trying to be a caravan. I also have tents and a stack of camping gear which put the really nice (and very expensive) trailers out of the range of what I wanted in a trailer. The Challenger also has a 2500kg axle instead of the 1800kg axle of the Wilderness and it is also available with brakes. But then, I wanted a trailer for camping now and then (although more often though than every one or two years!), but which I can also use for longer and rougher trips where the caravan will not do. Mine has done a few trips and did what I wanted it for, but I am in the process of changing it to suit my needs better. You should look at the thread on building your own trailer. You may not wish to build one yourself, but there are really great ideas on the thread and may help you decide what it is that you want
    Last edited by dudley; 2009/06/22 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling

I agree with the comments above. I used to own one of these trailers and sold it after a year for 2 main reasons:
    1. You have to unpack almost everything each time you stop on an overlanding trip because of the difficulty of access.
    2. Brakes makes a huge different on a trailer when going overlanding.

It did also help that I found a second hand conqueror at a very good price.
    Last edited by Kerneels; 2009/06/22 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks all. Guess I'll be saving my money for something better

Roes hulle nie maklik nie? Dis iets waaroor ons by die kus altyd worry - as hy maklik roes loes hom uit.
    2010 Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 4.0 TX
    2007 Toyota Land Cruiser VX100 4.2TD
    2009 Jurgens Xplorer Anniversary Ed No.144

Hendrikus Guest

I had the same decision process to go through a while ago and the main issue is application! If you mainly want it for camping and not too serious overlanding - the Wilderness will be okay. But if you want to do some serious overlanding then I will listen to Dudley and Kerneels. Get something with at least 2500kg brake axle. You don't want to be in the middle of the Serengeti with a axle that broke!

I saved up for a while and bought a big new trailer - had to get it financed! But the dealers took more than a week to get the thing registered - and in the end I missed my trip up to the Serengeti because of them. And they had enough time. (Won't mention names at this stage - they promised to make up for it).

My advice.

1)Think long and hard about the application. For not too serious outings you can look at R30k. For something that will take you far (and have all the bells and whistle) you can pay anything from R70k to R150k.
    2) Even if you buy a secondhand serious trailer, make sure the manufactures are professional people. They should be able to service it, and help you to fit additional items if your trailer doesn't have it already. Professional doesn't mean they are able to place big advertisements in magazines!
    3) Access is a big issue - and the needs change between overnighting and staying over for a week.
    4) If you compare prices - ask the big guys for the price of the basic trailor. Then compare it with the cheaper options.
    5) The add-ons are expensive - but make it easier for the women and kids.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Uys View Post
    I agree! Bel my, dan kom kyk jy daar by my na die potensiele probleme - nul agt drie 300 twee nul vier ses.

Uys, ek sal graag wil kom kyk nader aan die tyd om a trailer te koop vir die Serengeti.
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Uys, ek sal graag wil kom kyk nader aan die tyd om a trailer te koop vir die Serengeti.
    Jy is welkom. Myne behoort uitgesorteer te wees teen daai tyd, hoop ek.

http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...ad.php?t=35659
    Everything is a hammer.

Then it it a chisel.

hennieab Guest

Default Trailer

Ek het eers gekyk na die Makro Trailer en op die einde van die dag 'n Jurgens XT75 offroad trailer gekoop vir dieselfde prys. Hy het 2 sy deure vir maklike access asook die agter kant want oopslaan. Ons woon in Zambia en het onlangs deur Botswana - Okovango Delta, deur die Kaprivi tot by die huis gery en oral langs die rivier gekamp. Vir 'n bekostigbare trailor kan ek annraai om na so iets te kyk. Hy sleep maklik en ek was baie verbaas hoe hy die pothole paaie hanteer het. Vir R40 000 kan jy die wa met volledige trailor tent van Howling Moon koop. Dit sluit al jou sy panele in en maak vir 'n baie gerieflike kamping experiance.

Have a look at the Afrispoor Mongoose. I reckon it is probably one of the better value for money trailers on the market at present. If I ever have to get rid of my Jurgens Xplorer, the Mongoose would be my next choice. The lay out allows for easy access. Good second hand ones go for around R60k. But there is always a bargain waiting out there somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by hennieab View Post
    Ek het eers gekyk na die Makro Trailer en op die einde van die dag 'n Jurgens XT75 offroad trailer gekoop vir dieselfde prys.
    Hennie, is jy tevrede met hom? Ek het gekyk na beide die XT75 en XT140, maar het op die ou einde besluit op 'n Conqueror Conquest (2nd hand) wat ek KOMPLEET vir R50,000.00 opgetel het. Die Jurgens was baie aanloklik, sy dra-kapasiteit het my net teleur gestel...
    Piet Joubert
    ------------------------------------------------
    3.0D4d D/Cab 4x4 - 2008
    Conqueror Conquest - 2003

I am improving the access to mine by fitting a slider to can carry the fridge - and a big box about 300 mm high that fills the rest of the trailer and slides out to the back, using furnlock sliders.

The slider you can buy from Wilderness sits 50mm above the floor of the trailer, making it impossible to fit most fridges through the door. The slider I am making will sit about 10mm above the trailer floor so I can get my fridge or kitchen unit to slide in and out.
    '15 Honda CR-V Comfort Auto
    '10 Daihatsu Terios 4x4 Auto

The Campmaster Wilderness trailer is manufactured by Challenger (mine has the mfr plaque) and is identical apart from branding. It has a rear flap that opens, as well as a side access door on the left. The axle is 2500kg but not braked.

Have done some pretty serious stuff with mine and it works fine until they steal the wheels off. Oh, and they do rust eventually (mine's been standing outside, uncovered for 3 years).

If given the choice I'll buy the same again. I mean, what else can you buy for R22k? I don't have a built-in kitchen with a sauna and icemaker / cuppachino machine ... but ffs! It's not camping if you're not roughing it!
    Last edited by charlatan; 2009/07/03 at 05:26 PM.

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0
    "The grey shoe". EFS Suspension | JK rims coming soon...
    2000 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Sport
    Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex Lift Kit | Rancho RS99009 / RS 99116 shocks | Custom Hack'nTap SYE + Double Cardan Driveshaft | RE Quick Disconnects | Unichip (164kW) | 31" Kumho KL71

A friend of mine has one of those Makro trailers. He stays 1 kilometer from the sea, and it sleeps under a carport. After 18 months you won't believe the rust. He is ashamed to take it on the road. It is definately not built for near coastal conditions.

Charlatan is right. I have a Challenger and the differences are small. One can have brakes fitted to the trailer the trailer at about R6500, I was informed by Challenger. I specifically went for the 2500kg axle.
    They are made at Naboomspruit, so maybe the Gautengers' rust proofing is not what it should be, but mine shows no signs of undue rust. I am however not that close to the sea, but still.
    I believe that you have to consider carefully what you need a trailer for. I may be wrong, but in my opinion the bigger the trailer the more potential trouble when the going gets tough. The 4X4 caravans look macho and are beatiful and practical etc., but I do not want to tow such a big contraption through thick sand or bush. The trailer I can live with, and for the tame trips I have a caravan.
    Access is not a problem. I pack the stuff that I will need right away and will not want to keep in the trailer on top. I never need to open the top of the trailer once camp is set up. The rest is either easily accessable through the side doors or on sliders through the tailgate.

Makro now sells the Campmaster Wilderness Exec. (Manufactured by Challenger in Naboomspruit). On the license papers it states the series name as Bundu Basher which is the same as the one sold by Safari Centre at N1-City. The only difference is that the one sold at Safari Centre (Bundu Basher) has two side doors, one on each side (front).

The one at Safari Centre sells for R28999.
    To fit the fridge tray, an extra R2000 (R1599 for tray plus labour)
    To fit drawer system (which takes 4 ammo boxes) add another R4500
    2500kg axle unbraked. Braked - add another R5800
    2 jerry can holders included
    gas bottle holder, add R450
    2 lockable boxes on the wheel arches, included.
    spare wheel, included
    2 Hella plugs, included

The Wilderness Exec at Makro Milnerton sells for R29999. I bought mine yesterday.
    It comes with the following included:
    2500kg axle unbraked
    2 jerry can holders, included
    gas bottle holder, with included no 10 (4.5kg) Cadac gas bottle
    drawer system accommodating 4 ammo boxes, included
    drawer for 80 litre fridge, included.
    Lockable box on one wheel arch - lid fold down with an included two plate Cadac gas stove
    Another lockable box on the other wheel arch.
    A big lockable box for transporting fire wood.
    Spare wheel included.
    2 Hella plugs included.

Do they rust easily. Yes. But so does the Jurgens XT75/XT120/XT140. Go have look at Tygerberg Caravans (Brackenfell Boulevard, Brackenfell), if you don't believe me. They also stand outside in the rain.

Yes you do get better protected trailers (anti corrosion coatings), but tell me what do they sell for. Definitely not R30000 brand new with the included accessories. I drive a Ford Ranger 4x2 and do not need a trailer for heavy offroad conditions. Will be going to places such as the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park where a normal luggage trailer will not surfice.

Will post pictures as soon as I have taken them.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast