Name:	vidal.jpg 
Views:	356 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	693707
    www.lani4travel.com

Louis Le Grange

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oradba69 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Cape Vidal , the lost and wasted paradise

Does anyone know how long Cape Vidal will be closed for? Or if it has been re-opened?

A group of us go up annually for the weekend on a fishing trip towards the end of November/early December.

If not, any other good recommendations for a spot to camp where you can fish rock & surf and launch boats/ski's?
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    Does anyone know how long Cape Vidal will be closed for? Or if it has been re-opened?

A group of us go up annually for the weekend on a fishing trip towards the end of November/early December.

If not, any other good recommendations for a spot to camp where you can fish rock & surf and launch boats/ski's?
    I see no-one has replied. What I have seen with things like this, Charters Creek comes to mind, I can't see that it will reopen anytime soon. Will probably go down the drain more and more. They don't care about you, me or any others who love to go camping there.
    HENK

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    I see no-one has replied. What I have seen with things like this, Charters Creek comes to mind, I can't see that it will reopen anytime soon. Will probably go down the drain more and more. They don't care about you, me or any others who love to go camping there.
    Thanks Henk. One can only hope that by some miracle they will reopen the camp sites soon.

To me there really wasn't too much wrong with the Vidal stands. I agree the ablutions need some TLC, but honestly not much - it is supposed to be rustic. Not sure how the water issue is solved, however.
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

I get irritated by rumours and stories, so called KZN Wildlife yesterday. They still take bookings for the log cabins.

KZN Wildlife does not do the camping bookings though, for that I had to call Vidal, so I did.

Terrible line, about 10 calls later I worked out they still do camping bookings and one can book through the office there, by phone or email. Lady asked me which dates I wanted. I asked if there were any renovations going on, on the log cabins or camping grounds, she could not hear/understand me, asked me to send an email. I wrote down the email address as much as I could make out over the phone and emailed all my questions. I am still waiting on her reply.

If I receive anything back from them I shall report here. In the meantime, if anybody goes up for a weekend, even if to St Lucia, maybe do the lekker drive and check for yourself or ask at the office at the Vidal gate?

The last time I stayed at the log cabins was in 2021. The brown water is true, but not as dirty as the photo above, just light-brown unfiltered water. After the weekend the ladies mentioned how soft their hair was...

Basic maintenance was also not done, like fixing cupboard or shower doors or replacing door latches; although they replaced a broken geyser while we were there. The place was cleaned every morning by the cleaning ladies.
    2009 VW Touareg 3l V6 TDi
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4 (sold)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Some feedback:

Sooo, Saturday afternoon, while watching some sport on TV, I get a phone call just after 3pm, from an unknown cellphone number. I think, if this is a telemarketer he or she will be getting it. My curiosity gets the better of me. Answer the call. African lady on the other side, line not very clear, she is a bit apprehensive and apologising for calling me on the Saturday. I am getting ready for this one...

Lo and behold, it is the lady from Cape Vidal calling me back, says I had "many questions" so thought it is easier if she calls me on her cellphone.

I feel like a box.

Log cabins and camping ground are open. They are doing renovations on some log cabins, that is why some are closed, but most open. Not sure how long it will take.

Campsites are open for bookings. They have redone one of the 3 ablution blocks, still need to do "a small thing behind that one" (I think toilet) but it is done. They still need to do the other 2 blocks though. She does not know when that will happen.

Hallelujah! There is hope for this country. What a pleasant surprise. As someone (maybe Leeubok?) said, the people on the ground are trying. I assume the uncertainty and delays are caused by funds that are not forthcoming (but am obviously also guessing here).

So there it is guys, go forth and book, Vidal still good to go.

Meanwhile, some unknown telemarketer out there can feel verrry lucky!
    Last edited by walkabout; 2023/08/09 at 02:14 PM.

10. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Some feedback:

Sooo, Saturday afternoon, while watching some sport on TV, I get a phone call just after 3pm, from an unknown cellphone number. I think, if this is a telemarketer he or she will be getting it. My curiosity gets the better of me. Answer the call. African lady on the other side, line not very clear, she is a bit apprehensive and apologising for calling me on the Saturday. I am getting ready for this one...

Low and behold, it is the lady from Cape Vidal calling me back, says I had "many questions" so thought it is easier if she calls me on her cellphone.

I feel like a box.

Log cabins and camping ground are open. They are doing renovations on some log cabins, that is why some are closed, but most open. Not sure how long it will take.

Campsites are open for bookings. They have redone one of the 3 ablution blocks, still need to do "a small thing behind that one" (I think toilet) but it is done. They still need to do the other 2 blocks though. She does not know when that will happen.

Hallelujah! There is hope for this country. What a pleasant surprise. As someone (maybe Leeubok?) said, the people on the ground are trying. I assume the uncertainty and delays are caused by funds that are not forthcoming (but am obviously also guessing here).

So there it is guys, go forth and book, Vidal still good to go.

Meanwhile, some unknown telemarketer out there can feel verrry lucky!

Being a little bit cynical, and getting just "lip service" from any SOE or similar... Vidal is still not good to go unless otherwise proven. And having access to various social media platforms, it should be a simple exercise to show to the public that all is good and please come and support
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

You are right Frik, everybody must decide for him- or herself.

I am a glass half-full kind of guy, so will give it a bash sometime. Obviously (as always) take my own drinking water and be prepared for some possible eventualities. Even if maybe just because I WANT Vidal to work. It is just too close to paradise that it should be allowed to fail.

13. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    You are right Frik, everybody must decide for him- or herself.

I am a glass half-full kind of guy, so will give it a bash sometime. Obviously (as always) take my own drinking water and be prepared for some possible eventualities. Even if maybe just because I WANT Vidal to work. It is just too close to paradise that it should be allowed to fail.
    We camped at the campsite for almost two weeks during the July school holidays. Just before we left, we saw that the water reservoir area was barricaded off. Large volumes of sand, cement, and other construction materials were being delivered. This gave us hope that the area was being renovated.
    The previous year, the kiosk was closed due to a collapsed roof. This year, it was open and running. We bought ice there a few times because the load shedding would turn off the ice machines when we returned from the beach.
    We experienced two electrical outages after load shedding. The first time, the power came back on six hours after it was supposed to. The second time, the power was supposed to come back on at 9:00 AM on Friday morning. We left at 11:00 AM on Saturday morning, and the power was still out.
    Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the campsite. It was about 50% full while we were there.

I believe there is hope.
    Last edited by Ratelrooi; 2023/08/10 at 05:34 PM.
    2013 Nissan Navara 3.0 DCi 4x4 D/C - Rooigevaar

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ratelrooi For This Useful Post:

Just seen this on a KZN Camping page on Facebook. I've blanked the name of the reporter because I don't have their permission, but it looks like very good news indeed, and follows from the previous post about building materials being delivered
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20230821_171254.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	211.2 KB 
ID:	697032  
    Last edited by Gungets Tuft; 2023/08/21 at 05:16 PM.

17. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Gungets Tuft For This Useful Post:

I am a regular Cape Vidal camper. I mostly look beyond a lot of the issues such as water, ablutions etc but what irks me the most is trying to book a campsite. The only way is to arrive without a booking and hope for the best. I’ve even gone to the office in Vidal a week before arriving but was told they cannot take bookings. There is a specific camping at Vidal email address that always comes back with their own network problem message 😳. A smaller issue I question is why can they not just build simple concrete fire pits like a lot of Parks? I’m going to CV on next spring tide on 15 September with grandkids, out of school holidays so hopefully we get a campsite. Their other thing they like is not accepting the Ezemvelo Rhino access card which tends to raise my blood pressure ever so slightly. Isimangolisa must up their game. Fergus

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Sagittaire For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sagittaire View Post
    I am a regular Cape Vidal camper. I mostly look beyond a lot of the issues such as water, ablutions etc but what irks me the most is trying to book a campsite. The only way is to arrive without a booking and hope for the best. I’ve even gone to the office in Vidal a week before arriving but was told they cannot take bookings. There is a specific camping at Vidal email address that always comes back with their own network problem message 😳. A smaller issue I question is why can they not just build simple concrete fire pits like a lot of Parks? I’m going to CV on next spring tide on 15 September with grandkids, out of school holidays so hopefully we get a campsite. Their other thing they like is not accepting the Ezemvelo Rhino access card which tends to raise my blood pressure ever so slightly. Isimangolisa must up their game. Fergus
    I use Far and Wild Safaris for all park bookings. Never been disappointed.

http://www.africasafari.co.za/

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to frankmac For This Useful Post:

Can anyone give an update on whether any work has been done on the Vidal ablutions? Last report was that one of the blocks has been renovated, has there been any improvements overall?

Quote Originally Posted by Kariba View Post
    Can anyone give an update on whether any work has been done on the Vidal ablutions? Last report was that one of the blocks has been renovated, has there been any improvements overall?
    Read post #71

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter de Waal For This Useful Post:

Well here is the problem with what is going on.
    https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/arti...ind-solutions/

This warning and advice came from Hector Magome, former head of conservation at South African National Parks (SANParks) during the opening session of the 12th Oppenheimer Research Conference on Wednesday, 4 October 2023.

Some extracts
    Sounding the alarm
    “There is a very high likelihood that in future we will only have South African National Parks and Cape Nature … mainly because they generate 80% to 85% of their own money,” Magome said.
    He feared that parks in the provinces “may finally collapse”, mentioning the unchecked grazing of cattle in some Ezemvelo KZN Wildlife reserves and the burning of a community-owned lodge in Mthethomusha Game Reserve by people from within the self-same community.

Magome quoted from a study by the Endangered Wildlife Trust and the Wildlife and Environmental Society of South Africa (on whose board he serves).
    The study published earlier this year highlighted the many difficulties facing the parks. These included a lack of funds, which meant four-fifths of budgets was spent on staff salaries; a dearth of conservation knowledge among senior staff; and political interference to the extent that it amounted to a “political takeover”.
    Excluding SANParks and Cape Nature, he warned that “without good tourism income, many provincial parks will collapse”.
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2023/10/07 at 11:59 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

And the moment some private company/individual donates to the cause, naledi pander and her cronies will steal it one way or the other.

Strange that these always made it in the past and no they all lack funds.
    HENK

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Update on Vidal, spent a fantastic 3 days there camping,

Campsite was full, facilities all in great shape, bathrooms are clean (tap water brown but really does not bother me the least, perfect for a warm shower), all site's taps and power points work. As for the park itself, many foreign tour groups, all hides, picnic sites and lookout points are in great nick, gravel roads great

Actually nothing I could fault and what a bargain to be in such paradise, would happily pay double for such a slice of heaven!

Oh and the fishing was great as well so that probably skews my view of the place a bit!

30. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Kariba For This Useful Post:

We spent most of our December school holidays at Vidal, October was spent fishing False bay / Fanies /Charters .... way back when there was no tarred roads to Vidal, and it took you up to an hour to get from the gate at the crocodile park to the campsite... great memories....

Don't know if this was posted before, or if the Youtubers are members here....seems like a month ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOxV2xfEGuY

Looks promising
    2009 Toyota Hilux 4.0 V6 Raider D/C AT

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    Whilst I definitely do not advocate nor condone the massive decline in the maintenance of Cape Vidal, you will be hard pressed to find something like it anywhere else in the country. When we go there, it is almost of the mindset that we are going completely off-grid camping as the electricity (load shedding) and water are issues. Take water with you to wash dishes and run your camp off 12v and you will have a lekker time! A quick shower in some dirty water isn't going to kill anyone.

There is crazy beauty in that spot and if people stop going all together, it could well close down as the few randelas making their way to the running of the camp will dry up.
    Only problem is the terrible noise people make running their cars and generators to create power, which ruins it for me, as we are not kitchen sink campers.
    I have such fond memories of peace and quiet camping, which is still possible in the Berg.
    Agree also that Kruger is still top notch, and there are some nice small spots there where noise is not allowed. Hluhluwe? But all booked up for Xmas. Any private places anybody knows about? It all seems to be clamping these days.
    I’m looking at trying Sugarloaf as it’s been some years since visiting St Lucia central, but am feeling scared about the lack of water and dirt on the one hand and generator noise on the other. Sodwana camping was ok a few years ago.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast