Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Cape Vidal , the lost and wasted paradise

[QUOTE=RobH;5055414

as far as I know that is their area to operate in, the rest is Ezemvelo. Happy to be corrected.[/QUOTE]

Isimangaliso and EKZNW Co manage everything from kozi Bay in the north to, um, probably umlalazi? Where does the Isimangaliso wetland park end?

The little I know is this: Isimangaliso became the managing authority when the park got world heritage status. BUT Ezemvelo remained and continued with the work on the ground. How they decide who does what I do not know. Or who pays for what and who gets the cash from tourism.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    I'm still not sure how the EKZNW-Isimangaliso thing works and who does what.
    I think I might know.

The one pockets all the money and never does any maintenance work what so ever or couldn't care less and expects the other to use government funds to keep everything looking nice so the first can continue to pocket as much as possible and then some more....
    Oh and the government funds also need to cover the corrupt contracts for my friends and families.

Something like that.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Land Cruiser 79 SC V8
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D
    ZS5CL

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chris8d For This Useful Post:

Here local by us Umlalazi nature reserve(not Umlazi) in Mtunzini is called the Siyayi coastal park, its from the Umlalazi mouth south to the Amatikulu mouth.
    We have a conservation manager Mr. Trueman Buthelezi which is highly competent and well respected by the people of Mtunzini.
    The reserve and camp is well run, with lots of support from a very actice local Honorary ranger group , that maintains a lot of infrastructure in the park.
    Wild card works in this reserve
    Luckily it has got nothing to do with Isimangiliso wetland park.

The only , but only negative Umlalazi have over Cape Vidal ect is the type of sea, it is not comparable, Vidal beat it handsdown.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Thatís the biggest issue Koos, there are very few places in Southern Africa that can beat the beach / sea at Vidal. Coupled with a fantastic campsite in the coastal forest, it should be the prime coastal camp in SA.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

Whilst I definitely do not advocate nor condone the massive decline in the maintenance of Cape Vidal, you will be hard pressed to find something like it anywhere else in the country. When we go there, it is almost of the mindset that we are going completely off-grid camping as the electricity (load shedding) and water are issues. Take water with you to wash dishes and run your camp off 12v and you will have a lekker time! A quick shower in some dirty water isn't going to kill anyone.

There is crazy beauty in that spot and if people stop going all together, it could well close down as the few randelas making their way to the running of the camp will dry up.
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    Whilst I definitely do not advocate nor condone the massive decline in the maintenance of Cape Vidal, you will be hard pressed to find something like it anywhere else in the country. When we go there, it is almost of the mindset that we are going completely off-grid camping as the electricity (load shedding) and water are issues. Take water with you to wash dishes and run your camp off 12v and you will have a lekker time! A quick shower in some dirty water isn't going to kill anyone.

There is crazy beauty in that spot and if people stop going all together, it could well close down as the few randelas making their way to the running of the camp will dry up.
    I agree, we camp every June school holiday at Vidal and this year we will again. You have to make provision. I mean you are almost 30km from the nearest town, therefore fresh water and supplies should be with you.
    2013 Nissan Navara 3.0 DCi 4x4 D/C - Rooigevaar

Quote Originally Posted by Ratelrooi View Post
    I agree, we camp every June school holiday at Vidal and this year we will again. You have to make provision. I mean you are almost 30km from the nearest town, therefore fresh water and supplies should be with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post

What the thread suggests is that we should not just accept the fact that it is going to ruin. Everybody pays their dues, so is it so much to ask that they stop stealing the money and plough it back into the cash cow that they are slowly killing?

It is because everybody just accepts it that they get away with it.
    HENK

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    What the thread suggests is that we should not just accept the fact that it is going to ruin. Everybody pays their dues, so is it so much to ask that they stop stealing the money and plough it back into the cash cow that they are slowly killing?

It is because everybody just accepts it that they get away with it.
    It definitely is not too much to ask for - anywhere outside of Africa...

I honestly don't have a suggestion on how to fix the current situation, bar a group of private individuals banding together finances and resources to do it themselves.

Like I said, I don't condone it, but boycotting Vidal isn't the answer. In fact, it could be the final nail in the coffin for it to close forever. And I fear, that if it closes, it would be MUCH harder to get it to re-open than to try and save it while it is still "running".
    Tyrone Ferguson

Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

My personal opinion is that all tourism facilities in KZN reserves must be outsourced. Get private investors/operators to lease it for XX amount of time. It will unfortunately cost a lot of money to fix up the infrastructure, but someone that has invested their own resources into it and is dependent on it to make a living will a) look after it better and b) more than likely run it successfully
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

17. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Not just Vidal that is slowly being left to go to ruin.
    This is Sodwana. Copy of the map that they always had at reception. 2 afternoons of walking and marking stands that can be used and ones that are so overgrown that you can hardly walk onto them let alone go and pitch a tent pr caravan on it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20230518_193401.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	382.3 KB 
ID:	688639

I was told that all stands are cleared before all the school holidays. That is utter nonsense. Moses said in plain English that they do not have the manpower or means to keep all sites clear and take away what gets cut to clear the stands.

Sad really but that is how it goes.
    HENK

A before photo of one of the stands that I booked for December before I personally did some clearing. Driving in like this would scratch against your vehicle.

Name:	VideoCapture_20230518-194642.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	688640

Picture taken afterwards. The difference should be obvious.

Name:	VideoCapture_20230518-194650.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	831.6 KB 
ID:	688641

I will go again closer to December to do more trimming and clear the second stand.
    HENK

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Many moons ago on the road from Mapelane. See how great the road was then.

Name:	scan0013.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	688887

At the first rocks down South from the bay at Mapelane. This was a great fishing spot.

Name:	scan0068.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	688888

Such a pity that those days have passed us by. Never really knew paradise until it was lost. Now, it is just a tale told by an older man to his young kids.
    HENK

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Henkus For This Useful Post:

Can't argue with the disgust shown here, we camp at Vidal twice a year for a weeks fishing, we don't take wives or Kids as they would be horrified at the ablutions etc. The fishing and Snorkling is still amazing. It does take alot of planning and vehicles to bring in everything for a weeks stay for 10-14 guys. The shop does get Ice supplies every few days and you can refill water in town at the OK for very little. Loive Vidal
    2021 FJ CRUISER
    EX - 2004 LandCruiser 100vx V8

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Many moons ago on the road from Mapelane. See how great the road was then.

Name:	scan0013.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	385.6 KB 
ID:	688887

At the first rocks down South from the bay at Mapelane. This was a great fishing spot.

Name:	scan0068.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	129.0 KB 
ID:	688888

Such a pity that those days have passed us by. Never really knew paradise until it was lost. Now, it is just a tale told by an older man to his young kids.
    Wow, nice photos which bring back a flood of memories for many, I am sure. Just highlights the disgrace that the government has turned this country into.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TOY4X4 For This Useful Post:

It is really SAD what is happening at Cape Vidal. Unfortunately the Govt uses the funds for other purposes rather than maintaining, supporting and building......lets only fix it when it is broken attitude.

I stayed at the chalets once only about 10 years ago.....was "okay" except for the brown water. Now it is in a really bad state. About 5 years ago, it was de-listed from any booking sites.

I found a new great Spot on the South Coast - Scottburgh caravan park. Pleasantly surprised. Clean and well looked after. Our site was 15M from the shore. During peak season I suspect it will be a bit hectic though.

Cape Vidal is an absolute disgrace, the Staff are pathetic and have about as much enthusiasm and energy as a sloth. Bheki the camp manager is a drunk, all he cares about is collecting some fish in the evenings from the filleting station. The surrounding bushes are covered in litter from the monkeys, Hyenas and Badgers. Someone needs to plant a rocket up somebodyís arse and get the place tidied up. Ezemvelo management need to take a stance and itís time that the tail stops wagging the dog and the staff are read the riot act, but we know this wonít happen, the rot is too deep!! Camping there is a R1000 a night in peak season for 4 people. Itís not cheap, and then you arrive to a campsite that is in rack and ruines.

The problem is we all love it there and make a plan, so we take our water with, 12v systems etc. This makes these idiots even less prone to want to do anything. I personally take the rubbish every morning and I put it at the guard house so they can sit in the filth if the monkeys misbehave. The Ablutions are disgusting and filthy. I urge you to Bombard Ms Nene with photos of the disgrace as she is a responsible manager, her mobile is zero seven two 392 one five two five!!!
    Last edited by HooknCook; 2023/05/22 at 04:43 PM.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HooknCook For This Useful Post:

Mapelane....another jewel on the coast run by iSimagaliso and Parks Board has been closed years before Covid, both chalets and campsite. It is a disgrace that our natural heritage has been left to stagnate and decay to such an extent, especially a world heritage site. Complaints to the authorities go unanswered....come on iSimagaliso , you guys must get your act together.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to AndyG For This Useful Post:

Howzit everyone, we are trying to make a booking for Vidal at the end of the month for a few days camping, does anyone have a direct line for Vidal itself. The booking agents have stopped dealing with them.

060 838 7278

or

035 590 9012

Thanks Kariba, I managed to get hold of them this morning. Camp site is closed until further notice. The booking agency that is contracted to handle their bookings is no longer handling their books as they never get a response from the local authority in charge. Very sad.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast