Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Cape Vidal , the lost and wasted paradise

What is the situation at Fanie's Island , Charters Creek & Mapelane ??
    It takes 2 years to learn to talk & 60 to learn to keep quiet

I have the same sentiments regarding the state of Cape Vidal and its operation. I have been camping there since the 80s and itís sad to see whatís going on. Is it not possible to install rubbish bins that are monkey, wild pig and hyena proof in maybe 50 years of operating? You can buy a Rhino Card from Ezemvelo but Isimangaliso wonít accept it unless you have it authenticated by KZN Wildlife somewhere and get an additional piece of paper. I am suspicious about why their booking system is non existant, yesterday (Sunday 14 March) there were 4 campsites being used, are they making occupation figures low intentionally? I know Iím repeating what others have said in this thread but dirty and grimy is a good description. Yes, campers leave cable ties lying around in the camps which should go home with them but nothing is ever cleaned so there are hundreds lying around. Why can they not add a fire pit of some type as a new place is made by every camper? Iíll stop writing now as this is my close by go to camping spot, itís a disgrace😡😡

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
    If you see what is left of Fanie`s and Charters you will cry.

Groetnis

Koos

Quote Originally Posted by rodneykdc View Post
    Fanie's Island, is completely delapidated, it is abandoned for years now, it is in rack and ruin.Drove pass the no entry signs ,to go and look for myself, "moertoe totaal en al"
    Charters , is hardly operational, they are trying for at least 3-4 yrs busy with construction, but nothing going on.
    Mapelane, yes it was a part of a paradise, road to there no maintenance done, camp site is a mosquito breeding ground, dont even try and braai, you will be eaten alive by 1000's of mozzies.

It is only memories now.
    Fanie's with its beautiful scenery over the lake, the chalets where the cookboy prepared your meals, lots and lots of Salmon, Grunters were caught there, no more.
    Charters , with the campers with their little cabin boats fishing all night for those massive dagga salmons, and grunters , no more.
    Mapelane, with the beautiful coastal dune forest road, passing some magnificent large milkwood trees, the bay, crayfishing on the south banks, no more!

Lat year I camped in the Kruger at Balule camp, we came from a game drive at approximately 10 in the morning, I went to shower and found the parks board camp guy , on his knees busy scrubbing the showers with Vim, the place is in an immaculate well kept condition, and guess what? I left there and gave him a lekker big tip!
    KZN Wildlife staff will not get any braai left overs or a tip from me ever!"hulle probeer so min as moontlik doen!
    Last edited by Koos Best; 2023/05/16 at 10:02 AM.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

yes quite sad - deteriorating every time one goes - last year was by far the worst. Even though filthy ablutions and Hyena's and honey badgers raiding the dustbins, leaving everything littered; the beach and wildlife encounters still makes it a special place. Not so crowded. I do understand if the condition of ablutions/camp in general would deter guests for not going again

My parents lived at Fanies from 1956 to1980. Fanies was my home. It's very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Beurvoort View Post
    If you see what is left of Fanie`s and Charters you will cry.

Groetnis

Koos
    Ditto for the unique Kosi mouth; having been there years ago, a more recent visit was massively depressing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudgrubber For This Useful Post:

Was there last year after an absence of 20 years. Was also massively disappointed and posted virtually same pictures on iOverlander to warn other would be visitors. Won't return either unless something dramatic changes.

Default Cape Vidal , the lost and wasted paradise

Het elke junie soontoe gegaan vir vakansie, tot my vrou, susters en skoonsusters begin moan het oor fishermans cottages (dink baracuda of so iets), en toe 2017 junies geruil vir wilde kus. Nog nie een keer spyt oor verandering.
    Last edited by Reenen; 2023/05/15 at 07:12 PM.
    Vrywaring: Niks wat ek hier kwyt raak moet hoegenaamd as feite beskou word nie.

Quote Originally Posted by mudgrubber View Post
    Ditto for the unique Kosi mouth; having been there years ago, a more recent visit was massively depressing.
    Kosi mouth, was only for 4wd to get there, now they harderned the road , so Polo,s and Quantum's are full up, for drinking parties from Manguzi residents with no bins been used for litter and loud music, also busy going "Moer toe", control at this gate is only for out of towners, rest have free movement.Only thing left in this park is beautiful specimens of Waterbessie trees, no game at all, poached to extinction.
    What a great place the mouth , to swim , snorkel ect.
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T6 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Koos Best For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    The world renowned conservationist, the late Dr Ian Player, was once asked where he would want to spend his last day on earth and he said "Cape Vidal , nowhere else?"
    Well Dr Player would turn around in his grave if he were to see what is going on at Cape Vidal.
    I am emotionally very attached to this place , have been camping there since 1980's, my wife grew up there , we got engaged on the beach halfway to Levin point.

I just came back from camping at Vidal. This camp is falling apart, luckily the controlling authority (rather say non controlling) cannot bugger up the sea and beach, but the rest they have already done.

Vidal is dirty, soiled, grubby, grimy, filthy, messy , polluted "die plek is sif"
    The ablutions at least get swept,but no cleaning is done, soap scum in showers , old black skid marks in toilet bowls, shower doors are slimy.
    Litter strewn all over by monkeys, hyena's and bushpigs is not picked up or removed, not only in the camp but on the beach and day visitors area. I saw the vehicle collecting rubbish drive right pass the turned over bins, they only collected the rubbish that was inside the bins. Staff sit around doing absolute nothing, staring into the oblivion! They have a walking pace slower than a sloth. Imagine sitting around and trying to do "so min as moontlik die hele dag"?

I can't comment on the chalets, never stayed there in my life , but reviews of the chalets are poor.

It is also nearly impossible to get hold of Vidal camp to book,
    Booking should be done by central reservations not Vidal camp

This is a world heritage site! I am ashamed that foreign tourists have to endure this.
    Koos ek wil huil!

I remember Cape Vidal before there was a tar road running all the way. You hit the gravel not long after the St Lucia gate. We camped there, a young couple with a Jetta4, a trailer and tents back in 2000 or 2001. Not to mention the Samangos having made off with our car keys and a spare set being brought in by courier! You would then also know all about a Kudu Bull called Koos! Fond memories!

Many "off-roaders" back then could not get it how on earth we got there with our Jetta4 and heavy laden trailer. The next day they were hauling Land Cruisers, 4X4 bakkies and trucks out of the mud with tractors. In the two weeks following the parks people actually made a road for us through the dunes to "escape" paradise! The place was supreme!

It was the year that the estuary spilled over the Saint Lucia bridge and many bridges got washed away in northern Kwazulu Natal.

The camp ranger/manager then was a gentlemen by the name of Ron, his surname escaping me now. I have always wanted to do a trip back to Cape Vidal, but now you have me sitting here with a lump in the throat.

Oh Boy!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AmarokTrok For This Useful Post:

Thank you for sharing. I was planning on trying it out later this year, so guess its back to the drawing board.
    In the interest of transparency, I must disclose that my real name is Anakin Skywalker. I hail from the planet Tatooine. When I am not piloting my Imperial Class Destroyer, a magnificent vessel that perfectly complements my malignant narcissism, I drive a Nissan Patrol, a Japanese automobile from Planet Earth that certainly grounds me in many, many ways.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post:

Is it the natal govt conservation dept that is vrot or is it just the st lucia, cape vidal, kosi bay and the lakes area that is vrot ?

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    Is it the natal govt conservation dept that is vrot or is it just the st lucia, cape vidal, kosi bay and the lakes area that is vrot ?
    See Leeubokís thread above. Top level in Ezemvelo are vrot but there are many dedicated, good guys still around. Unfortunately they get no support or funds, so it is a vicious, diminishing circle.

The Vidal issue has been coming for years, itís a combination of poor management and blame deflection. Very sad!!

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RobH For This Useful Post:

I think umlazi falls under the same lot and they have actually made it better in the last say 10 years with the beach walkway and at the parking lot and launch site

Quote Originally Posted by RossJ View Post
    I think umlazi falls under the same lot and they have actually made it better in the last say 10 years with the beach walkway and at the parking lot and launch site
    Good manager?
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

Quote Originally Posted by Luka View Post
    Good manager?
    Isimangaliso spent a lot of money fixing and upgrading some tourism infrastructure. I'm not sure why in some places but not in others.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Leeubok For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Leeubok View Post
    Isimangaliso spent a lot of money fixing and upgrading some tourism infrastructure. I'm not sure why in some places but not in others.
    Name one of these please. Not to get into a fight here, just want ro know which place or places you are refering too.
    HENK

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    Name one of these please. Not to get into a fight here, just want ro know which place or places you are refering too.
    all the hides and walkways in Mkuze game reserve and the greater St Lucia park. The problem comes in the camps, which they havenít maintained.

as far as I know that is their area to operate in, the rest is Ezemvelo. Happy to be corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Henkus View Post
    The entrance gate to mkuze and their hides, some other entrance gates too. They also do road and fence maintenance, stuff people don't always see. But ja, I'm still not sure how the EKZNW-Isimangaliso thing works and who does what.
    2014 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 A/T 4x4
    2014 Mitsubishi Triton 2.5 M/T 4x4

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast