Default Toyota Prado 3.4 VX Engine life?

I am interested in buying a 96 Auto Toyota Prado with 380 000km. Should I buy something with such high mileage and what will break first? What is the engine, gearbox and diff life? Anything to specifically look out for?

Shaun

As far as I could find out those engines are good for at least 500000km if looked after

The diffs are prone to breaking/damage when overstressed in high range or when you get wheel spin with sudden grip when offroading

380000km is a lot and there are probably a few on the market with less kilos for the same ballpark salesprice

I have no knowledge with regards to the longevity of the auto gearbox

If you can get it for a bargain and you are willing to service it regularly and replace worn bits you can probably still get some good use out of it
    Jacques Greyling
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing
    1999 Prado 3.4 V6

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hoenner For This Useful Post:

ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Olivier View Post
    I am interested in buying a 96 Auto Toyota Prado with 380 000km. Should I buy something with such high mileage and what will break first? What is the engine, gearbox and diff life? Anything to specifically look out for?
    I bought Pajero with 265 000km on the clock and think it was a mistake. Had to spend additional R30 000 to make car reliable again but next fix is CV boots to be replaced. I carry spanners and some spare parts to be prepared for the next breakdown. Less mileage the better
    96 Pajero 3.5L V6 LWB + TJM Xtra Gas shocks rear, KONI Heavy Track shocks front, Air Lift Coil Spring rear, bash plate front and Firestone ATX tires. Radio 29MHz GME GX300 - http://www.youtube.com/user/tomaszstochmal

I bought a '97 3.4 with 250 000km on the clock and its not even using a drop of oil. Lovely vehicle, wery capable off road! Just make sure you buy one with a diff lock, I think the diff lock only came out in 98, not sure. I am trying to get a cheap diff lock installed but am strugling a lot.

carlvv Guest

I bought a late '97 model (without difflock) but registered in '98. had approximately 150,000 km's on the clock. Within the first month something went wrong with the gearbox, but was repoired free of charge by the dealership. this was apparently an extremely rare fault.
    The "bakkie" (as we call it) now has almost 270,000 km's on the clock and has had no further problems. Although the lack of a difflock was a problem once on a 4x4 rail on a steep incline with loose rocks, we have never had any other difficulties. One just has to ensure that you have sufficient momentum.

Another thing that helped alot was replacing the suspension with OME. What a difference!!!

We love the vehicle and even though it is now 11 years old, it still has no rattles. the guy that services the vehicle for us, an ex-senior Toyota technician has previously said to me that 500,000 + will be no problem for the engine.

This is our second 3.4l Auto Prado, the previous one was a '98 model with difflock which we unfortunately had to sell due to circumstances at the time. In between we had a '96 Pajero which was an absolute disaster. Engine idling problems, clutch problems and gearbox problems. Never again thank you.

I will recommend a Prado to anyone as I have never heard of anyone complaining about the vehicle.

I am not a technical guy, therefore reliability is of the utmost importance to me.

All I can suggest is that you should have the vehicle checked out if possible.

Carl

Smile Prado Input

Hi

My question was the first one I posed on the site. Thanks for all the responses. I would seem that I must check if it has difflock and get it properly checked out first.

carlvv Guest

Hi Shaun
    Yes, but the difflock is certainly not the be-all and end-all ofthe vehicle.

We have done some fairly serious trails with our Prado which has no difflock and have never got stuck. You just have to get to know your vehicle.

Good Luck

Default Re: Toyota Prado 3.4 VX Engine life?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaun Olivier View Post
    Hi, did you eventually buy this vehicle? I just came across one in a good condition exterior wise and owner swears itís all mechanically sound. The problem is itís got 509000km on the clock. Anyone here now what would be the first thing to do to this high mileage engine?

Quote Originally Posted by carlvv View Post
    I bought a late '97 model (without difflock) but registered in '98. had approximately 150,000 km's on the clock. Within the first month something went wrong with the gearbox, but was repoired free of charge by the dealership. this was apparently an extremely rare fault.
    The "bakkie" (as we call it) now has almost 270,000 km's on the clock and has had no further problems. Although the lack of a difflock was a problem once on a 4x4 rail on a steep incline with loose rocks, we have never had any other difficulties. One just has to ensure that you have sufficient momentum.

Another thing that helped alot was replacing the suspension with OME. What a difference!!!

We love the vehicle and even though it is now 11 years old, it still has no rattles. the guy that services the vehicle for us, an ex-senior Toyota technician has previously said to me that 500,000 + will be no problem for the engine.

This is our second 3.4l Auto Prado, the previous one was a '98 model with difflock which we unfortunately had to sell due to circumstances at the time. In between we had a '96 Pajero which was an absolute disaster. Engine idling problems, clutch problems and gearbox problems. Never again thank you.

I will recommend a Prado to anyone as I have never heard of anyone complaining about the vehicle.

I am not a technical guy, therefore reliability is of the utmost importance to me.

All I can suggest is that you should have the vehicle checked out if possible.

Carl
    Hi Carl, whatís the mileage right now? I am looking at one with 509000km. My only concern is that I want to be able to drive this on holiday from job to Cape Town via northern cape on a 10 day rod trip. Iím just not sure it will last. What are the items to consider that should be replaced with such high mileage? Any advice would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by ZIP View Post
    Hi, did you eventually buy this vehicle? I just came across one in a good condition exterior wise and owner swears it’s all mechanically sound. The problem is it’s got 509000km on the clock. Anyone here now what would be the first thing to do to this high mileage engine?
    Zip, the real authority on the 5VZ are the US forums ,since it was the main engine fitted on the 4Runner, which is a really popular SUV over there, for many years.

So if you don't get much joy here, head for one of the 4Runner forums.

Some run very high mileages.
    Last edited by tashtego9; 2021/04/13 at 08:24 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:

ZIP

My dad had an early 3.4 prado (first one in PMB).
    He put on just shy of 400000 in 4 years without using a drop of oil.
    It then became a pool car at the office and later the messenger vehicle.

I saw it about 3 years ago, still being used as a messenger car and it was showing +/-120kkm the question that could not be answered was how many times it had ticked over past the 999999km mark but Iíd say twice based on use case. Engine sounded as smooth as ever....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mambo For This Useful Post:

ZIP