Zambian border costs, visa costs and genearl travel info

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Zambian border costs, visa costs and genearl travel info

I am going to start this new thread so that any bit of useful info about travelling around Zambia can be collected here eg ferries not running, roads closed and borders etc.

I will start by copying and pasting 2 articles about the Kazungula, Vic Falls and Katima Mulilo borders, visa costs etc. Plus a bit of "foot-stomping" from the lady who is the editor/author of the Livingstonian newletter we get either weekly or every fortnight.

FIRST ARTICLE
    Visas to Zim
    I was collecting some information at the border and thought that you
    may find it interesting. Visas, which used to be free for most of us, are, of course, applicable
    now. I get a multiple visa for 6 months, through the Regional Office in Vic
    Falls – they send it to Harare. It doesn’t take long and costs for me on a Brit passport US$90.
    For people who want a quick trip over, here are the fees for those that need to pay:

British/Irish Single – US$55 Double – US$70
    Canadians Single – US$75 Double – not available
    Others Single – US$30 Double – US$45
    The Canadians must really have annoyed someone
    Last edited by Thirstie; 2009/06/18 at 09:17 AM.

Default More on borders from The Livingstonian Newsletter

Border Crossings
    I know that I said that I was going to put all the border crossing fees onto a spreadsheet so that we can compare charges. I failed because the Zambian requirements are too complicated and vary depending on which border you come to.
    So, I will give a quick resume below which would be applicable to me in my Hilux and me, on my British passport

Zambia
    At Immigration fill in a book pay visa US$50
    At Customs Fill in TIP Fill in Book - pay Carbon Tax US$20
    In a caravan/shed/building outside the Customs office Insurance US$40 (for three months)
    In another caravan/shed/building outside Customs office Road Toll US$20 (if the car is not your own)
    In yet another caravan/shed/building outside Customs office Council Levy US$10
    At Kazungula only in another caravan/shed/building Ferry Charge US$20
    Time Taken to do this Approximately 1 hour if you are lucky
    My efficiency rating 2 out of 10 (apart from the slowness, often the officers are eating)

Zimbabwe
    At Immigration pay visa US$55
    At Customs Fill in TIP pay Carbon Tax US$15
    At Customs pay Road Access US$10
    In a caravan/shed/building outside the Customs office Insurance US$40 (for three months)
    At the Gate Fill in a book
    Time Taken to do this Approximately 20 minutes
    My efficiency rating 6 out of 10 (I have taken off 1 point because the officer at the gate is always eating)

Botswana
    At Immigration Fill in a form
    At Customs pay Road Permit, Insurance (for three months), Road Levy US$25
    Time Taken to do this Approximately 10 minutes
    My efficiency rating 10 out of 10

Namibia
    At Immigration Fill in a form
    At Customs Pay Cross Border Charge US$25
    Time Taken to do this Approximately 10 minutes
    My efficiency rating 10 out of 10

Default And even more from Gill (Editor - Livingstonian Weekly)

Trip to Kasane – from Gill

Carbon Tax rates:
    1,500 cc K50,000 (US$10)
    1,500 - 2,000 cc K100,000 (US$20)
    2,000 - 3,000 cc K150,000 (US$30)
    3,000 + cc K200,000 (US$40)

I then went to ESCO to pay for the ferry. I paid K40,000 for my vehicle. The charges for other
    vehicles are:
    Zambian saloon car K30,000
    Foreign saloon car US$15
    Foreign 4x4 US$20

I then trundled off to the Police office to pay the Council Levy (Please note that there is also a road levy for RTSA that differs from border to border. Thirstie)
    Saloon car = K5,000
    4x4 = K10,000

I then headed to the Insurance Post which was outside the gate:
    Saloon and 4x4
    One month K112,500
    Three months K225,000

Just a few comments:
    Firstly, I knew my way around the border, but a visitor does not. There are no signs, no posters, to tell the poor unsuspecting visitor what s/he is supposed to pay and where.
    Secondly, I was assured that all payments can be made in whatever currency they have (except for RTSA, that is, because they wouldn’t tell me). There is, however, a bureau de change at the border. I didn’t go and visit it.

By my calculation, a foreign registered 4x4 will have to pay about US$85 (without RTSA) to enter
    Zambia. And the process will take about an hour (without RTSA). By the way, RTSA stands for Road Traffic Safety Agency.

Having stressed myself at all the offices, I then took my vehicle down to the river to await the ferry.
    Yes, the ferry ... there are two but one was broken down ... there were some big spanners being
    carried around, so I assumed that it was a big spanner job ... not nice ...
    I got over the river on the pontoon and headed to the Botswana border. There, I filled in an
    Immigration form, stamp, stamp ... done that one. Then I went to the Customs at the next counter and asked the officer what I had to pay, she asked me the size of the engine of my vehicle, I told her, she said it was P190 (about US$30). I paid the money and she wrote out three receipts for Insurance, Road Permit and Safety Levy. She handed me my receipts ... Can I go now? I asked. Yes, please do ... I was out of the border within 10 minutes ...

I came back through Zimbabwe. It was much easier and cost me US$10 – for Road Access. I had all the other stuff from a previous trip.

Thirstie comment: Gill also mentions that you must double check dates on all your documents and make sure they are all correct. Good advice for all African border posts.
    Last edited by Thirstie; 2009/06/18 at 09:44 AM.

Thanks Jacques & Linda...this is excellent info

Jacques, Linda....thanks for that! Really useful information.............this forum at its best.

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by Thirstie View Post
    IVisas to Zim
    I was collecting some information at the border and thought that you
    may find it interesting. Visas, which used to be free for most of us, are, of course, applicable
    For people who want a quick trip over, here are the fees for those that need to pay:

British/Irish Single – US$55 Double – US$70
    Canadians Single – US$75 Double – not available
    Others Single – US$30 Double – US$45
    The Canadians must really have annoyed someone
    Is there now a visa charge for SA passport holders going into Zim?
    Last edited by mfuwefarmer; 2009/06/18 at 10:27 AM.

My pleasure! Thanks for the kind words. I had to do a bit of editing myself as Gill can really tell it as she sees it but I guess it is pointless candy coating our dismal border PR - doesn't help anyone in the long run!

Mfuwe, when are you coming to stay? Would love to meet you and buy you a beer.

What about the coming long weekend?

Geez, don't break my heart! Going to be v. busy but I will email you in a minute.

Default Zim visa fees

Forgot to answer your question about visas. Last time we went into Zim it cost us $20 per person - Siavonga. But Mutare was double that and Vic Falls is apparently $40 pp.

Linda - thanks for the info and putting it all together in one place - very useful but I cannot stop being puzzled by the variability in fees and service - anyway I guess one justs gets on with it and as long as one can get through the border the holiday will be fun! Patience and a smile seem to be the key prerequisites!

I know! Isn't it mind numbing? Try Zim for fun - $25 at Siavonga and $175 at Mutare. Bizarre!

Thumbs down Watch out for this little scam in Zambia!

We are on our way to Zambia again in 2 weeks' time, along with Paolo and many others. Cannot wait!

Thought I would just share with you, the only bad experience we had during our trip in 2005:

We entered Zambia at Kariba - Siavonga and were quite glad to eventually leave the border, as it took some time to "process" the extended family including a number of children. We thought the immigration officer was merely being friendly and hospitable as he enquired about the route we were planning on taking...

When we arrived at the town Kafue, we were stopped at a road block and passports and docs checked. The officer made a point of checking the last stamped page of each passport and what do you know... one little 6 year old boy did not have an "entry" stamp in his passport ...So what now? The officer at Kariba obviously just missed this one as they were all handed to him together.

No, we could not proceed without the stamp and were given a choice: travel 134km's back to the border (we had to be at Petauke by that evening) or make use of the services provided by the high ranking officer sitting under a gazebo. This "Induna" just so happened to be in possession of a passport control entry stamp at the crossroads between the Livingstone, Chirundu and Lusaka roads and wanted US$500 for the "favour" . We had no choice but negotiate a lower BRIBE!

Needless to say, we could kick our backsides and did too! We will never NOT check each and every document and date EVER again. Has anyone else come across these ROBBERS?

Just be street wise or is it overlanding wise and check and cross check!

Hi Skrik - I think I am running a day or so ahead of you - I will be at Nanzhilla on 3/4/5 July, Kaingu 6/7/8 July and Lufapa 9/10/11 - we then head back via Lochinvar NP (staying at Moorings Farm) and via Tuli Block in Bots. We are in two cars - both Discovery's - my registration is ND68711 - look forward to meeting up with you. Paolo

Thumbs up To Paolo

Hi Paolo

Which route are you taking to Nanzhila? We are coming up the western side of the Delta and then along the Caprivi to Katima Mulilo. Have not decided on route to Dumdumwenze gate yet.
    Nanzhila 4 - 6, KaingU 7 - 10, Lufupa 11 - 14 July.

See you there.

Niks

Default To Niks,

Hi Niks, We are travelling via Livingstone > Kalomo > Dumdumwedzi > Nanzhilla. Spoke to Steve Smith who advised that the plains road is still to wet so we will be taking the southern boundary road from Dumdumedzi and then approaching Nanzhilla from the west. See you at Nanzhilla - Paolo

You should all meet at Mukambi on the 11th!

Excellent idea! - will see if it can all fall into place!

Wink All roads lead to Mukambi!

'Will definitely try our best. Is Mfuwefarmer also joining us?
    BTW, isn't "Mfuwe" at SLNP? From where the nom de plume?

Niks

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast