Default Night Sky Viewer

Hi guys,

A while ago I heard about a new product on the market which purported to be a small type of hand-held scope that would identify celestial bodies when pointed at any part of the night sky. I assume that it would be calibrated for time, GPS co-ords & elevation to be effective.

I recall being informed that it cost in the region of about R5k. It sounded like a useful tool to have, especially when introducing novice friends (read: more novice than I!).

I would appreciate it if anyone could pass on more info about this product or have experience of this item and can comment on the usefulness there-of.

Kind regards
    JACQ.

Jacques Le Roux
    Land Rover Defender 130 TD5

Previous: '79 L/C FJ45 (P/U), '85 L/C 80 (SW), '93 Disco (I), '98 RR HSE, '01 110 (P/U)

In my opinion it takes the fun out of stargazing. The same money buys a telescope,or a pair of good quality binoculars or a star atlas and a holiday to learn the stars!

http://eridanusoptics.com/store/inde...roducts_id=481
    Hannes
    VW Carayotta
    KB 280 D LE 4x4

If you have laptop then you can get software to show you positions of various objects in the sky. Google Earth does a good job too

I have 10" Meade Dobsonian telescope but almost never use it as it's too bright in Pretoria and with computer it's so much easier to look at those objects. I have been looking at Mars pictures in Google Earth, awesome
    100 years ago you could not see this stuff
    96 Pajero 3.5L V6 LWB + TJM Xtra Gas shocks rear, KONI Heavy Track shocks front, Air Lift Coil Spring rear, bash plate front and Firestone ATX tires. Radio 29MHz GME GX300 - http://www.youtube.com/user/tomaszstochmal

Yeah thanks guys, but I'm sorted with all the kit and also use Google (which I agree is fantastic if you're sitting at home with a pc or laptop), and my own knowledge is pretty O.K.
    But I would still like to know about this item (Starfinder?) as it sounds like a handy toy for friends and kids who may just get bitten by the astronomy bug whilst out in the field, or even for myself if I'm visiting the northern hemisphere (whilst sailing).
    For the price I want to make sure that it works as advertised though. Anyone else have info?

Jacques Le Roux
    Land Rover Defender 130 TD5

Previous: '79 L/C FJ45 (P/U), '85 L/C 80 (SW), '93 Disco (I), '98 RR HSE, '01 110 (P/U)

Hi Jacq

The "skyviewer" is called a Sky Scout made by Celestron. Distributed by G&L Agencies 011 792 1097.
    www.celestron.com
    I agree it does take the fun out of astronomy...but also might help when u dont have the laptop at hand to use the stellarium or google earth or star maps to attract and WOW newcomers to astronomy as to the beauties of our skies. Its heartwarming to see the bug bite..

Stochmal, if you dont want to use the 10" at home, when next there is a dark sky weekend with the ASSA of Jhb or PTA, u must come with and bring it with.

There are some very good windows mobile applications for stargazing - especially if your mobile phone has an integrated GPS
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Hi SimonB

Do u have links we can download them from.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raycet View Post
    Hi Jacq

The "skyviewer" is called a Sky Scout made by Celestron. Distributed by G&L Agencies 011 792 1097.
    www.celestron.com
    I saw this unit down in Smithfield on Monday, very nice. can also be mounted on & aligned with a telescope. About the size of an older handheld video camera.

Guy said it cost him about R4500.
    Doug Norval
    -------------------------------
    New & Used Car Sales Exec.
    HAVAL/GWM Fourways

Quote Originally Posted by SimonB View Post
    There are some very good windows mobile applications for stargazing - especially if your mobile phone has an integrated GPS
    I've recently begun watching Iridium flares, which is very exciting, probably old hat to you guys.
    Prediction charts here, also includes ISS and lots of other data.:

http://www.heavens-above.com/

Register to enable full features.
    Toyota Hilux 2.5 D4D SRX
    [/B]​
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated - Ghandi