Default Komatipoort or via Swaziland

The few times I have been to Moz, we have done Komatipoort. I see a lot of people are going via Swaziland.

What does the forum advise, as I see horrendous lines at the Komatipoort border? Do we turn off at Malelane to detour via Swaziland or what is the correct route?

TIA

Default Re: Komatipoort or via Swaziland

Easiest way I would think is if you pass Malelane, turn off towards Schoemansdal, go through Naas to mananga border post. I was there a few years ago and they were doing massive upgrades. Once through the border it's a short drive to the Moz border. I can't comment on the efficiency or road conditions as I have not done it myself. But up to clearing mananga border post I can vouch it's pretty easy going.

What “horrendous lines” are you talking about?

Komatipoort SA side will take you 15 minutes, most of this time is taken up by the walk from your car and back…..

Moz side is about 20 minutes, mostly due to them capturing your vehicle date on the TIP form….
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post

Komatipoort SA side will take you 15 minutes, most of this time is taken up by the walk from your car and back…..

Moz side is about 20 minutes, mostly due to them capturing your vehicle date on the TIP form….
    Was looking at the posts on the Drivemoz group on Facebook. From that I gather the SA side is very slow at the moment between load shedding and staff not showing up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Friedland For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chukudeer View Post

If you go on Drive Moz facebook page you will see what the horrendous line are they are talking about.

not sure if its a go slow by border officials but 4 hours queing seems to be the norm the last couple of days

this post copied

What a complete disgrace At Komatiepoort border on the SA side
    When I approached the superintendent at home affairs to try and establish why there was such a long, uncontrolled queue on the SA side I was asked to leave the office . I tried getting his name !!!!!
    Department of tourism want to spend 1 billion Rand on advertising an English soccer team but they can’t even implement a simple efficient control system at the Komatiepoort border post !
    How can South Africa’s immigration offices not function , whereas their Mozambican counterparts are super efficient and friendly
    Again SA Tourism fails to deliver !!!!!
    Who wants to stand in a queue like this for 4 hours !!!!!!!!!!
    THIs iS WHAT WE EXPERIENCED TODAY
    5th Feb . Returning to SA!!!

Karol Life = Σ(Choices)
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI
    2006 VW Touareg 3.0 TDi air suspension aka Pumba ( sold)
    2003 Pajero IO 2.0 aka Bosvark

Key word is “Returning to SA” from Moz side….

Yes it does take longer to get back, yes there are lines with bussloads of Mozambiquens trying to get into SA, expect 30 minutes plus if you time it wrong…..like on a Sunday afternoon at month end…….still faster than an extra 2 hour drive plus 2 border posts and a vet gate.

As to reports on Drivemoz…..take it with a pinch of salt, huge difference between “it felt like for hours” and “four hours”……..plenty Karens venting and stamping their feet demanding to see the “manager” after 20 minutes in a que
    Last edited by Chukudeer; 2023/02/06 at 06:36 PM.
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

Reading the thread now - still no clear answer - better to go via swaziland or take on Komatipoort - particularly if you want to go south of Maputo?

Any more advice from experience also going via Swaziland

If you are going south of Maputo, in my opinion the swazi route is a no brainer, enter at Oshoek and out at goba, both borders very quick and efficient. the road through Swazi is great, from Goba to Boane there are some road works but nothing serious
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hamtheman For This Useful Post:

With the new highway finished it will take you 2 hours max to transvers Oshoek to Goba. The only possible congestion or traffic will be at Manzini if driving during Rush hour.

Karol Life = Σ(Choices)
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Karol For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Karol View Post
    With the new highway finished it will take you 2 hours max to transvers Oshoek to Goba. The only possible congestion or traffic will be at Manzini if driving during Rush hour.

I didn't realise the highway was finished. That is very good news...

As previously mentioned on other threads, I always go to Southern Moz via Eswatini. It possibly takes a little longer. Never really bothered about that.

The thing is, whenever I head that way, I am on leave and I like "gat-skuur". In other words, I'm not in a rush, and will normally fit in an overnight camp at Hlane or Mlilwanee - or both.

The most direct route would be via Oshoek, but I've found all the Swazi borders to be very quick and efficient - I've done a few of them. Oshoek, Bulembu, Sandlane, Mahamba and Golela.

The crossing in to Moz is also easy at Goba and I've never had officials hint for bribes as I've had at other Moz border crossings. Not yet at any rate.
    Ian de Villiers

Patrol 4.5 GRX
    Jurgens XT65 2x0 with Super Select Zero
    ORRA: H80

14. The Following User Says Thank You to iandvl For This Useful Post:

Swaziland likes to put speedbumps every 200m on all their roads

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog View Post
    Swaziland likes to put speedbumps every 200m on all their roads
    Very frustrating, but the good news is that they have remove them on the new highway where they were in place during the construction.

They still there when you go through Manzini, the most interesting set are at a 4 way traffic light intersection.

Karol Life = Σ(Choices)
    2011 VW Touareg V.8 TDI

Over the past few months I have been in and out of Moz often, got back last week and will be heading down in 3 weeks time again.

Traveling from Pretoria to Komatipoort is a dream now the roads are really good. How ever take note that there is some construction works around Malalane that slows down traffic a bit.

The Komatipoort border post takes 25 minutes max from stopping on the SA side to driving out the Moz gate.

Lots and lots of trucks crossing the border. But they keep to the side of the road and do not cause much of a hold up.

Have fun in Moz
    Let's go Fishing

300 Tdi Kalahari
    Discovery 4

We're heading to Ponta Malongane over easter for 10 days and need to consider our route options. My initial thought is to miss Komatiepoort as it will probably be crazy busy and go through Swaziland. I wouldn't mind spending two nights in Swaziland as I've never been there. From what I've read here the Goba border post is a pleasure compared to Komatiepoort.

Google maps suggests that we take the N3 from the border post to Goba and then turn off onto the R407 where the tarmac is exchanged for dirt. We then turn off onto the N200 near Matias where the road becomes a tarred surface again pretty much all the way to Ponta. Does anyone know the condition of this road?

Tracks4Africa suggests that we exit Swaziland via the Namaacha Border post on the N2 through Maputu all the way down to Ponta.

Seeing that we plan on arriving on the Sunday, we can stay over anywhere on the Friday and Saturday which may mean that Komatiepport border may not be that busy or via Kosi Bay. I'm not too keen on Kosi Bay as the road is really not great. We went to Sodwana early December.

Do you have any comments on the routes, suggestions or tips on what to watch out for?
    Last edited by rudyb; 2024/02/22 at 07:15 AM.