2010 soccer world cup: vuvuzela banned?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 2010 soccer world cup: vuvuzela banned?

1. I'm not a soccer fan
    2. I'm totally against the world cup being held here and the stadiums being built
    Blah blah blah. Got that out the way.

I just got an email from a guy in Holland. The vuvuzela is going to be banned at the world cup.
    Do you reckon they'll get it right to ban it?

Just had some great news on the telly, the FIFA are going to ban the vuvuzela (spelling?) for the 2010 WC. The whole of Europe are complaining about the noise now that we are watching the Confed Cup. We're all used to the songs and/or chanting heard throughout the soccer seasons, and not some sick insect wailing for recognition. The FIFA are, apparently, throwing their reasoning on the fact that the thing can be used as a "weapon", I guess the same reason why we're not allowed to take our own bottled/canned/carton drinks into stadiums.

Hallelujah!! No irritations anymore!!
    Last edited by Spike; 2009/06/17 at 03:53 PM. Reason: can't spell
    * "Wat Spike probeer sę in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

soccer? whats that? When? o ja the world cup!!

Can they ever get the money back on those stadiums? Aparrently the country will earn billions in forex. I just wont know the real impact
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

Wink

I dont see how they are going to get that right. That damn thing is part of SA soccer.
    They will have a major boycott on then. I hate the blinking thing.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

Brasil play drums .... SA plays vuvuzelas

There is no way that FIFA will ban this

FIFA, who wanted to ban the usage of vuvuzelas during the World Cup 2010 because of a concern that the instrument could be used as weapons by hooligans or by business to have an advertising presence in World Cup Stadiums. However after the South African Football Association, SAFA, made a presentation that the vuvuzelas were essential for an authentic South African football experience, in July 2008 FIFA decided to drop the ban and vuvuzelas will be allowed at matches during Confederations Cup 2009 and World Cup 2010 in South Africa.

I bought my vuvuzela for R50 .... also buying caps and t shirts etc .....and I am not a soccer fan but will support this in every way possible and that includes attending a few soccer matches ...

dfk Guest

Long live the vuvuzela! It is as South African as braaivleis and zamalek.

Europe has soccer hooligans and we have the vuvuzela. They can keep their stupid hooligans. There is no comparison.

The money 2010 is bringing to our country is unbelievable. Do yourself a favour and look around for opportunities.

I cannot wait, as a stoere boertjie, to watch Italy vs Brazil in Confed cup at Loftus!

OK, I've no idea what you are talking about..........what on earth is a vuvuzela?

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Quote Originally Posted by MikeAG View Post
    OK, I've no idea what you are talking about..........what on earth is a vuvuzela?

Mike
    It is a plastic trompet, that they make lots of noise with!
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

About 2010! I don't think they will make the money now, but if they play there cards right and use the publicity, perhaps they can make South Africa win on the long run.
    No one ever ruined their eyesight by looking at the BRIGHT side!!
    Ford Ranger 4l 4x4
    Nissan Patrol 4.8
    Nissan King Cab (aka Navara )
    “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
    Albert Einstein

Whoooopa 3 The Goat strike back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqw5...ature=youtu.be

Another teazer.....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51KljMSXOnI

Good luck trying to ban that... proberbly be easier banning hardhats with horns on them a a bulls game. To hurt someone with a vuvuzela is difficult... Anyone know a plastics extrusion place where we could produce a few thousand?

I think its great we are hosting the 2010. I won't be watching but thats beside teh piont. It doesn't matter whos in charge, SA is a great country and deserves every bit of exposure and opportunity we can get. If its a failure unfortunetly it on us all as south africans not just the government.
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

I see at the moment 3 challenges for the local organization here:

1. Get the infrastructure ready on time...a few soccer arenas don't look well yet and the Gautrain - not sure if it's ready to run in next June,
    2. Setup a proper public transport system...I don't think the soccer tourists will like the mini busses,
    3. Manage the European hooligans - this will be the biggest challenge as these folks come from all social areas and don't look at the airport like hooligans ...in Germany 3 years ago, the police arrested registered hooligans who are dentists, architects, doctors, laywers ....and they all just need a "valve" to release their work pressure.
    I'm already curious when some organized hooligans meet in JHB CBD a gang trying to lift their wallets - maybe after a soccer game in Ellis Park ...in 1998 in France, 150 well educated and staffed french policemen were not able to control 50 british hooligans.
    @Spike: your claim comes too late...but in principle I agree to your statement 2, there is better places on the globe to run a soccer world cup, but many people believe it will bring a lot of money into the country...which might be true...the key question will be, where will it be used for

MikeAG, this is for you. http://www.vuvuzelas.com/

Souds like fog-horn.
    Kobus

Nissan

I think it's great that we are hosting the World Cup.
    I think vuvuzelas will make a great SA experience at the soccer.

Now if we just had a good team!!!!!

I take my staff to the Pirates vs Chiefs game once a year.

We meet have a boerie roll and a few beers, hop into a taxi and travel to the game. The staff head off to the side of the team they support. Then meet again afterwards and travel home.

The atmosphere inside the stadium is electric. The vuvuzelas are blown rythmically( in tune).

As a white guy in the stands, I am not pestered. In fact I am greeted by many people who are there for the soccer. The soccer is not always of a high standard. But the spirit of the supporters is fantastic.

I am also amazed at the number of woman who attend these games.

Bring on 2010, South Africa will stand proud.

Anthony

I think what alot of us in SA fail to realise is that Soccer is way bigger than rugby and its not a lower class sport in many countries. And this will introduce the country to alot of people world wide, people who previously wouldn't consider SA as a holiday detination. It will dispell alot of mis-conceptions about South Africa. Recently a whole bunch of Norwegian people travelled to Cape Town for my brothers wedding. Half of them have already booked holidays back here. The word of mouth and return of people that came for the soccer should be immense.

The nice thing about events like these are the financial benefits are felt by anyone who has the iniative to get something. Airports/ airlines will benefit, accomodation suppliers, rental cars, public transport, resturants, bars tourist attractions, ect, ect. Little of the money coming in will go directly to the government.

But having said that I am going to be as far away during it as possible
    Talk softly, carry a big stick.

I think that SA, as a whole, will benefit from the 2010 world cup. I seriously doubt whether the vuvuzela will be banned from the world cup. This is South Africa and the vuvuzela has become an important part of the beat and vibe that exists during a South African soccer match. Hearing the vuvuzela, at a soccer match, adds to the jubilant atmosphere and is music to my ears.

All the above sounds very nice and possitive, but how is it that we have half empty stadiums at this point for the 'Confed cup' games? I also read that FIFA intend to give tickets away for free just so people can attend and fill up stadiums. Another story I have been told, is that travel agencies in the UK does not promote any 2010 game packages at this point in time due to the crime situation. So me personally - not so confident and possitive in the 2010 soccer success, but that's just me. Please don't stone me to death.
    "If you don't care where you are, you ain't lost"

In my previous job I was heavily involved in the commercial aspects of sport in South Africa and attended a number of world events. I was at the World Cup in USA and to be honest the Rugby World Cup, Cricket World Cup, IPL, Super 14 all combined can not come close to the magnitude of a Soccer world Cup.

It is an unbelievable experience and provides South Africa with an open window to the world, sure there may be a few glitches, but I have absolutely no doubt that when the final whistle blows we would have done ourselves proud.

If you get an oppertunity to watch a game live, do youself a favour and go for it. The skills displayed by the world's best players defy belief and to sit among the Dutch (I'm biased ok), Italians, English, Portuguese or whatever country's supporters is an experience you will remember for the rest of your life.
    Defender 90 TD5 with steering guard, Warriorworx rocksliders and diff guard, 33' Bridgestone MT, Warn winch, outback roofrack, frontrunner penthouse RTT and awning.
    African Backbone offroad trailer.

I am not a soccer fan, but am glad we got to host the world cup. I think is is doing a lot for the country in terms of infrastrucure and jobs. I believe we can do a good job, but am worried about the possibility of serious crime during the world spotlight on us.

I am going to support the world cup by going to Namibia for the duration, thus allowing for one less vehicle on the probably crazy roads,one less person at restaurants and shopping centres etc.
    Doug
    Pajero 3.5V6 SWB (Gen 3)
    Yes I had to sell my fantastic Triton
    Going to miss it dearly!

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    I think what alot of us in SA fail to realise is that Soccer is way bigger than rugby and its not a lower class sport in many countries. And this will introduce the country to alot of people world wide, people who previously wouldn't consider SA as a holiday detination. It will dispell alot of mis-conceptions about South Africa. Recently a whole bunch of Norwegian people travelled to Cape Town for my brothers wedding. Half of them have already booked holidays back here. The word of mouth and return of people that came for the soccer should be immense.

The nice thing about events like these are the financial benefits are felt by anyone who has the iniative to get something. Airports/ airlines will benefit, accomodation suppliers, rental cars, public transport, resturants, bars tourist attractions, ect, ect. Little of the money coming in will go directly to the government.

But having said that I am going to be as far away during it as possible
    Biggles join the club its exodus for me and my family in principle I say its good for SA but not a big soccer fan .
    My greatest concern is who is going to pay back the Chinese goverment for subsidising these Stadiums just a question.

As you all know nothing in life is for free.

My 2cw
    Toyota Under Construction

Spike.......... Is your Dutch friend gonna come and visit SA to watch some of the matches?

I think they wont be able to bann the vuvukezelamaakgeraasdatjoukopinsymoerinontplof thingemajiggy.

I am just concerned for the first CNN/BBC report of some poor soccer fan from abroad that got stabbed and robbed cause he wanted to see "Africa" at night.
    No more Jeeps for me for a while.
    2009 Ford Ranger PK 3.0

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast