Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Now limited to home garden - sub-tropical

It would have actually helped had I added the link to the thread !!!!
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Taking into account the significant reduction in the number of bees around my garden, I was sitting outside in the pleasant winter sun and while contemplating teh woes of the world and in particular those of our own country I noticed that apart from ONE loney bee, there were flies (not the big housefly and not gnats), probably some kind of fruit fly?
    Anyway, be that as it may; They were also moving from flower to flower so I am presuming that they are also polenating?

At the same time I noticed literally two butterflies doing similar. One is of a type I have not seen before with beautiful blue variegated markings.
    These are the first butterflies that I have seen around for a while apart from the tiny white/grey ones that lay their eggs on some veggies.

For now the dragonflies are MIA. I am assuming that they have departed on the next stage of there world tour as per their lifecycle.
    I will see them back next summertime or late spring I guess.

When last did anyone see fireflies and / or glow worms?
    When I was young I was always fascinated by these and they were plentiful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
    Taking into account the significant reduction in the number of bees around my garden, I was sitting outside in the pleasant winter sun and while contemplating teh woes of the world and in particular those of our own country I noticed that apart from ONE loney bee, there were flies (not the big housefly and not gnats), probably some kind of fruit fly?
    Anyway, be that as it may; They were also moving from flower to flower so I am presuming that they are also polenating?

At the same time I noticed literally two butterflies doing similar. One is of a type I have not seen before with beautiful blue variegated markings.
    These are the first butterflies that I have seen around for a while apart from the tiny white/grey ones that lay their eggs on some veggies.

For now the dragonflies are MIA. I am assuming that they have departed on the next stage of there world tour as per their lifecycle.
    I will see them back next summertime or late spring I guess.

When last did anyone see fireflies and / or glow worms?
    When I was young I was always fascinated by these and they were plentiful.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Over the last couple of decades, we have noticed a change in birds and insects that visit. We welcome all for their uniqueness. The birds we do miss are the Weavers, we havent had any for over 12 years now, although their favourite trees and building material depots are still here, even better than before.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

Quote Originally Posted by Estee View Post
    Over the last couple of decades, we have noticed a change in birds and insects that visit. We welcome all for their uniqueness. The birds we do miss are the Weavers, we havent had any for over 12 years now, although their favourite trees and building material depots are still here, even better than before.
    Strangely, we don't miss the weavers. They displace all other birdlife.
    Cheers

NAGOF

HAM Callsign - ZS5KAD

Freedom of speech is useless unless you allow people you don’t like to say things you don’t like………

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Thanks, I didnt know that Fluffy. I would imagine the types of birds frequenting a garden would depend on other birds and insects available. As the landscape changes, so too would the insect life. Since 2020, we have been visited very frequently by Loeries, they enjoy the plum tree but there is enough to go around. We enjoy watching their antics, especially when they land on a spindly branch.
    Estee = S T = Sean Towlson, A Schrodingers Douche Bag GOF

''In Western society, it is not the facts or the truth that are important, but the correct presentation of information, even if it is a lie.''

Clank, a 1979 Ex-SADF Series III 109 SW powered by a Toyota 2B Oil Burner

I suspect, not having done any actual research into it, that what we are experiencing here is a couple of effects:
    Seasonal shift.
    I am convinced that the seasons have shifted over the last 40 - 50 years or so.
    Summers starting later in the year but dragging on a bit later, before autumn kicks and then a later than usual winter, again fitting with the later commencement of spring.
    Climate change:
    There is most definitely climate change taking place - more extreme storms, rainfall, lower and higher ambient temperatures.
    Longer lasting droughts and also more flooding due to abnormally high rates of rainfall over short period of time also the influence of man here with reference to flooding in particular.
    Think infrastructure decline and building structures (houses etc.) in the wrong places without a good solid base to anchor into.
    The only big question on climate change is not whether or not it exists - It Does!

The question is actually - how much of it is due to human induced factors and how much is just a normal periodic natural phenomenon which takes place over very many years.
    Slightly OT, however this does affect the garden, insects, birds and other(apart from any other areas of activity,)
    Peter Hutchison

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Not in my Lived Experience >> Weavers disappear primarily because Houses are more Crowded up these days and Neighbours generally dont plant Indigenous suitable gardens so your little island of Indigenous perfection wont attract WildLife >> People generally are not in tune with Nature as is seen by Rose Gardens , Pine Trees etc etc being planted
    Hilux 2.5 Litre DC 2015 4x2
    Summit Everest Trailer Full House

.................The only big question on climate change is not whether or not it exists - It Does!

The question is actually - how much of it is due to human induced factors and how much is just a normal periodic natural phenomenon which takes place over very many years.
    Slightly OT, however this does affect the garden, insects, birds and other(apart from any other areas of activity,)
    It definitely exists, and the tree huggers believe that there is no natural cycle associated with it and it's only due to our pollution etc. I would also like to know what the real ratio is.

Birdlife on the farm is very good, but not as prolific as it was 50 years ago, when we had plenty to shoot at with our air rifles. But it was also very skittish as a result. Since banning any shooting on the yard in the last 30 odd years, it has become much friendlier again. But numbers of some declined, like White Eyes, Ground Scraper Thrush and Wagtails. Some attribute this to prolonged use of insecticides etc over the decades. But others new birds appeared, like Yellow Billed Kites nesting in a tree next to the kitchen, Boubous, Oriel etc.

I started supplementary feeding with bird feeders in the last few years, and that helped attract other species as well, not only seed eaters.
    Mike Lauterbach

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the responses guys.
    Will follow up with some info. soon.
    Will that Plant App work on a very old Samsung Tablet?
    We have a couple of bird books but not well educated on that score, room for edification and delight .... maybe I can be edumacated too.
    I have discovered Google Lens on my new tablet which runs Android ver. 11 so can (at last) update "stuff" and things actually work now!!
    I'm still trying it but seems to be reasonably accurate with local vegetation here.
    Peter Hutchison

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Almost light now, so will be out in the garden to tidy up a bit.
    I like to keep it on the wild side somewhat, but need to to do lawn edges, some weeding, shrub trimming etc.
    I am expecting family from USA next week for a very quick stayover, so want it looking good.
    Not much news on garden life just now, I have been busy with other things, but we will get back to that soon.
    Peter Hutchison

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Lekka Peter

Enjoy it!
    2018 VW Amarok V6 Auto 4Motion

So this season we have more snails around than I have seen in very many years.
    Of particular note is the really BIG ones that I have not seen for a looong time.
    The pictures show one of these that is either mating with a normal sized "garden" snail or EATING IT?
    Are they (the big ones) maybe cannibalistic?
    The one in the picture is by far not the biggest I have seen around here but it is the first time that I have observed this behaviour.

The car keys are there just to give some idea of size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant_Snail1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	169.4 KB 
ID:	707355   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant_Snail12.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	140.5 KB 
ID:	707356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant_Snail3.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	367.9 KB 
ID:	707357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Giant_Snail4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	241.1 KB 
ID:	707358  
    Peter Hutchison

So this season we have more snails around than I have seen in very many years.
    Of particular note is the really BIG ones that I have not seen for a looong time.
    The pictures show one of these that is either mating with a normal sized "garden" snail or EATING IT?
    Are they (the big ones) maybe cannibalistic?
    The one in the picture is by far not the biggest I have seen around here but it is the first time that I have observed this behaviour.

The car keys are there just to give some idea of size.
    Anyone have knowledge on this ? Or should I just ask the AI bot ?
    I prefer to get actual human knowledge and experience rather tan some machine no matter how "intelligent" based on human generated data.
    OK, now going OT on my own post.

To get back on:
    Does anyone have knowledge or expertise on this ?
    I just like to know, that's all.
    Peter Hutchison

So it's been well over a year since I posted on this thread.
    Apologies, but my life changed very suddenly during the last year+ a bit.
    So - update.
    I still sit under the tree and observe the dragonflies hovering over the pool, the snails chowing my newly planted seedlings (Those which the Hadeda Ibis have not yet uprooted, anyway. (I just re-plant and water - most survive.).
    I watch my feral cat stalk birds on the lawn.
    Oh do some garden work usually in the early hours of the morning after downing a cupla mugs of strong black coffee and reading stuff on this forum and posting stuff back onto it. (Quality varies according to mental state at the time).
    Having said all that:
    In the months since Sep - Now (end Feb) I have done more km in the old Suuz than in the last five years ... camping, attending various meets / GTG whatever.
    Well, she has to start paying for all the work done on her so far (Still in progress re: Interior issues.)
    In the meantime I will post a few pics of my garden as it is at this time:

Eish, it seems that I cannot delete duplicated images. Sorry.

Name:	IMG_20240227_090811.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	869.4 KB 
ID:	715233   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.15_1ec4cd0d.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	715234   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240227_090952.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	941.6 KB 
ID:	715235   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.14_e9530a66.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	310.0 KB 
ID:	715236   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.10_664a4537.jpg 
Size:	303.9 KB 
ID:	715237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.13_5bf82aa8.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	191.6 KB 
ID:	715238   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240227_090915.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	942.4 KB 
ID:	715239   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.13_abcc3dd4.jpg 
Size:	397.4 KB 
ID:	715240  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.11_3e831185.jpg 
Size:	405.4 KB 
ID:	715241   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WhatsApp Image 2024-02-27 at 09.24.12_03142eb1.jpg 
Size:	417.1 KB 
ID:	715242  
    Peter Hutchison

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Some earlier ones from the past:

Name:	DSCN1930.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	494.4 KB 
ID:	715244   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GardenMonkey4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	173.9 KB 
ID:	715245   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Garden5.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	396.8 KB 
ID:	715246   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1925.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	415.7 KB 
ID:	715247   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Azalea3.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	715248   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7972.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	484.8 KB 
ID:	715249   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8000.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	420.9 KB 
ID:	715250   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7995.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	220.4 KB 
ID:	715251  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7970.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	296.5 KB 
ID:	715252   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7733.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	587.8 KB 
ID:	715253  
    Peter Hutchison

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

I keep forgetting that I have this thread on the go.
    So here are some new items in my garden, one planted by me, one invading my territory, but beautiful.
    The useful one first, the invader next.

1. Cheyote:
    As per the Lens app:
    A squash-like fruit (veg?) grows on a creeping vine and is apparently rich in Vit. C.
    Locally known as chu-chu (spelling?).
    Can be eaten raw or cooked.
    I need to look up recopies for this one.
    Grows and bears fruit fast.
    I have a plant in my veggie patch now. Not sure when it is ready to harvest - need to do some research on that.

2. Aristolochia (Dutchman's pipe:
    Evergreen vine native to Brazil - invasive plant but beautiful.
    Almost impossible to get rid of in my garden.
    Has a deep, strong tap root system and breaks off at the base easily, then re-grows within days. Flowers constantly and spreads over shrubs, climbs into trees.
    According to some or another AI:
    It grows up to 15 feet long, flowers pollinated by flies who are attracted by a slightly unpleasant odour from the tubular, flared flowers and produces fruit which is toxic.
    The split open and release winged seeds which then germinate all over in any space it can find.

Name:	1711093189152.jpg 
Size:	208.0 KB 
ID:	717460   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20240322_092125.jpg 
Size:	249.9 KB 
ID:	717461  
    Peter Hutchison

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3