Default Antique Belt Buckle

Any idea of history / value ?
    Appears to be silver and in good condition.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckle-Front.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	264.0 KB 
ID:	675898   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckle-Back.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	278.6 KB 
ID:	675899  
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

Isuzu KB 280DT D/C 1998 (WIP) Heading for 500 000 Km shortly.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2 (60 000 Km in 13+ years - town kar)

Default Re: Antique Belt Buckle

Arabic I think.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind˛)
    '84 Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work.
    The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jfh For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jfh View Post
    Arabic I think.
    Yes maybe. I was thinking middle eastern, so maybe along the same lines.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the mobile.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

jeeperscreepersXJ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post

I used to work with Snowden, don't ask we can find anything

What you're looking at is a 19th century Burmese silver belt buckle, value is always dependent on the condition and the auction room, from R1,000 - R4,000 I'd say.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeeperscreepersXJ For This Useful Post:

jeeperscreepersXJ Guest

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Buckle-Back.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	183.0 KB 
ID:	675904

We can see that the two stamps are the same for verification

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeeperscreepersXJ For This Useful Post:

Thank you.
    Very interesting.

Now I am wondering how on earth it ended up with my late mother who died very many years ago since, to my knowledge did not have any connection with that part of the world nor, to my knowledge ever travelled there.

We have some amazing old stuff around here, including Sir Gordon Sprigg's barrel top desk (Many times ex Cape colony Governor).
    He used to stand in between the incoming outgoing governer's of the Cape and used to travel by train from his home in Fishoek to parliament in Cape Town.

Maybe I should start delving into the origin etc. of some other smaller bits and pieces, like the Kruger tickey's (Not worth much methinks).
    Thanks for the info.!
    Peter Hutchison

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Thank you.
    Very interesting.

Now I am wondering how on earth it ended up with my late mother who died very many years ago since, to my knowledge did not have any connection with that part of the world nor, to my knowledge ever travelled there.

We have some amazing old stuff around here, including Sir Gordon Sprigg's barrel top desk (Many times ex Cape colony Governor).
    He used to stand in between the incoming outgoing governer's of the Cape and used to travel by train from his home in Fishoek to parliament in Cape Town.

Maybe I should start delving into the origin etc. of some other smaller bits and pieces, like the Kruger tickey's (Not worth much methinks).
    Thanks for the info.!
    Please do Peter and share If you manage to find anything else. I for one always enjoy looking at old things. All things across the board are interesting, but special interests in photographic equipment and dinky cars.
    Have a good day and look forward to further finds from you.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispzim View Post
    Please do Peter and share If you manage to find anything else. I for one always enjoy looking at old things. All things across the board are interesting, but special interests in photographic equipment and dinky cars.
    Well, I know we have small scale used for weighing (I think) gold dust which was used by the Galpin jeweler in Grahamstown waaaaay back.
    He was the same guy who designed and built the camera obscura that MAY still be in place in Grahamstown to this day.
    As well as several other small things.

Also a full collection still in original box (damaged box) of "The art of the Illustrator" , Percy Bradshaw.
    As far as I know that was widely distributed by mail order at the time, so probably not much value but still of interest.
    It was some kind of educational art study I think.

Shell casings (Large) from the first world war with military stamp and date on the base. (Copper I think).
    A riempie chair (needs re-stringing) and small table from the Groot Trek. That MAY be stinkwood, not sure - very old.

And a few other similar kind of smalls .......
    Peter Hutchison

Well, I know we have small scale used for weighing (I think) gold dust which was used by the Galpin jeweler in Grahamstown waaaaay back.
    He was the same guy who designed and built the camera obscura that MAY still be in place in Grahamstown to this day.

Also a full collection still in original box (damaged box) of "The art of the Illustrator" , Percy Bradshaw.
    As far as I know that was widely distributed by mail order at the time, so probably not much value but still of interest.

Shell casings (Large) from the first world war with military stamp and date on the base. (Copper I think).
    A riempie chair (needs re-stringing) and small table from the Groot Trek. That MAY be stinkwood, not sure - very old.

I went to Rhodes in the late eighties. The camera obscura was fantastic. Your mention of it has made me go look at Google map reviews, and sadly it too appears to have fallen to the malaise of the EC guavament. The one in Edinburgh is possibly the last one. It is hugely sad.

The 1820 stock and their descendants in the area were avid collectors, and seemed to manage to get stuff from all over the world, probably by post / boat (take that takealot).

I got the attached from an inherited deceased estate from an old friend (also 1820 stock, wool spinner, and porcelain collector) who is now in a ACVV home in Middelburg (EC). She had fallen on hard times, so I over paid considerably to help her along. She is still around, but doesn't remember who I am anymore and I find it quite painful to talk to her now.

If anyone is interested in the item which isn't worth much in terms of gold by weight, and it's historical value has been depleted due to the setting, you are welcome to DM me.

Name:	2010-09-01 10.17.52.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	483.8 KB 
ID:	675913  
    1995 Defender 110 300tdi

Shortly taking wing..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to CraigWatt For This Useful Post:

I just loved those rimpie chairs. My Oupa always had them on the farm in Namakwaland. Ah sweet memories. The table must be amazing. You are very fortunate to have those. Just imagine the history it's seen.
    I will certainly have a bit of a look round and get some more info on the Camera Obscura. I was not aware that there was one at Grahams town.
    Such a pity as as Craig Watt said that it's not there anymore.
    A second class ride is still better than a first class walk

GWM 2008 2.8 Turbo Diesel, left hand drive. My work horse and leisure toy.
    Nissan March, the boss' daily run around.
    Mitsubishi Delica. Ex work horse. Sold.
    Toyota Vigo 3.0l D4DTurbo 2007. Sold

… Peter, as you may recall ,
    I did, in the days of my youth,
    seek an education
    to improve me chances in life;
    … so, of course I went to Rhodes!
    Although I never helped get the Beit Hall
    equestrian statue to fall off her horse etc,
    I managed to buy the attached
    permit, at a local Grahamstown Market,
    to see my way through the highways of Life.

Will present it to Fikile Mbalula,
    should he ever stop me at a RoadBlock …

Name:	0DE7C88B-E5F8-4C3C-BC2F-9B5399173E03.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	675940   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3893FDBA-1B9E-4740-BA23-98D92DBE3B6A.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	53.9 KB 
ID:	675941  
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2023/01/02 at 09:56 PM.
    ... Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...

2002 Defender 130 DC HCPU. :
    Own the road... Any road ...
    ‘1981 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8 :
    The Greatest Rover.
    ‘1975 Series3 88 PUP :
    Simply ... Classic ...
    ‘2017 Metalian Mini ...
    A Home from Home

* The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BushNomad For This Useful Post:

A small collection of seven silver belt buckles, comprising:- one large Victorian cast silver ope (the-saleroom.com)

I found this on Google, looks familiar number 5?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispzim View Post
    Still in the very early stages of scratching around and de-cluttering following my dear SWAMBO's departure.
    I found in a nondescript old envelope in abovementioned barrel top desk 5x gold half sovereign coins. (I think that's what they're named?
    Not in mint condition - were obviously used as \'normal currency at the time.

However with the current and rising price of gold could be worth something? Not that I am looking to sell them, may actually be a good idea in this day and age to hang onto them.
    No pic for now because I have to find said envelope again and I am a guy that can lose a pen while writing with it, not to mention keys, etc.
    Peter Hutchison

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...8&d=1672651958
    Anyone interested in making a fair value offer on this item?
    Please PM me.
    Aso, taking into regard to responses below.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...hmentid=675904
    Last edited by Peter1949; 2024/04/16 at 02:24 PM.
    Peter Hutchison