Default Fortuner roof rack

I want to carry 2 x 20L Jerry cans for extra diesel on a roof rack on a Fortuner. I will be using it perhaps once a year, so I would like to remove most bits of the roofrack after use to improve fuel consumption . I am considering Frontrunner track mounted load bars, as I understand that the crossbars is readily removeable. I am told that removable roof racks and crossbars are strictly not recommended to carry fuel/water containers. Will it make a material difference to fuel consumption to remove the crossbars ?. Any other options ?

Default Fortuner Roof Rack

I am not quite sure what you understand by "track mount"
    A track mount means they remove your existing standard bars and screw tracks to the roof using the same mounting points. The front runner carrier is bolted to this track and can be easily removed when not in use. The track remains, so you cannot replace the original bar.
    Load bars are clamped to to your existing original bars, Frontrunner do supply a roof bar bar mount. Check out www.frontrunner.co.za
    Some suppliers do not recommend load bar mounts as the Fortuner bars are not rated very highly, probably 100kgs max.
    I had Frontrunner track mount on my DC Hilux, it was seriously expensive to fit tracks on the Fortuner and also the Hilux carrier is 600mm shorter than the Fortuner so would have looked silly if left on and a Fortuner without its original bars also does not look right.
    So I adapted my carrier to fit the standard Fortuner bars, luckily it fitted exactly in the middle. It is bolted on using the original Frontrunner posts (Unfortunately had to drill holes in the Fortuner bars but can be plugged with rubber bungs when carrier is removed)
    As a safety measure I also made 2 demountable brackets which fit under the rear door sill on each side (see attached pic)
    This trip in April included parts of Richtersveld, not all the good parts, if there are any,and no problem.
    With carrier on (no load) fuel consumption increased on average from 8,3 to 8.2 km/l. Wind noise did increase significantly.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2008 Fortuner 4.0l V6 4X4
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 SC 4X2
    Conqueror Compact II

Hallo Stevienicks
    Quite and innovate plan to fit the roof rack to the existing bars. Did you stick a rubber strip to the detachable mountinds that you added for safety?. You are quite right - the Fortuner looks a bit silly without the original bars.

Yep, cut a strip from an old tube! The detach mount is only in contact with the vehicle body at the door sill, this is where the rubber strip is.
    The top of the bracket is bolted underneath the rack using the existing accessory attachment slots.
    When carrier is not on, the press fit plastic bungs to close the holes I drilled in the bars are available at Builders Warehouse.

2008 Fortuner 4.0l V6 4X4
    2013 Ford Ranger 2.2 SC 4X2
    Conqueror Compact II

Difficult to describe in short, but I needed a roof rack for my 3 canoes and other light though bulky stuff, so I designed and made a large, light rack 2.7mx1.7m with expanded metal inner basket. 40x20 boxing (2mm thick) It fits onto the Fortuner rails (full length) with curved 30x30 angle iron. Detacheable canoe rack on top. Rubber strip inbetween and wrapped onto the bars with car inner tube strips. Took it to Mozambique and back twice, with 40 kg sea kayak and anoth about30 kg of rods and spear guns and stuff.
    No problems

2.7 Hilux 4x4 d/c - suspension lift, body lift, Camil, 11.5x32 Duellers on 8.5x15". 3.0 DxD Fortuner 4x4 - 265/75/15" Ironman suspension, Ironman bumper, Cibie Super Oscar, Milemarker winch, battery, bash plate, front/back towbar, 50l extra tank. Met eisch!