Moz-Mal trip: comments requested

Default Moz-Mal trip: comments requested

I'm loading my wife and the two kids (13 & 15) in the Cruiser in 2 weeks time for a trip trough Mozambique and Malawi. Returning through Zim as seeming the quickest. I attach an Excel spreadsheet with our itinerary. I fear there are still days with just too ambitious amounts of driving! Nonetheless, I am asking members who have experience in these parts of the world to comment on the feasibility, suggest alternatives and must-see, must-do and must-stay places! Many thanks in advance!

My brother may or may not join us in his short-wheel base 70-series, otherwise we go it alone. We have loads of experience traveling in Africa (I'm an exploration geologist), so i am not too worried and none of the plans will be too fixed either. But it is a large undertaking and being prepared as best possible just makes for less stress.

Andre
    Attached Files Attached Files

Andre,

I can't comment on the Mozambique section of your proposed trip, (last time I went through was in a military convoy), and it would be easier to comment on your Malawi trip if I didn't have the memory of a goldfish........or if I had my trip diary with me.

However, I do remember that a trip to Livingstonia is one of the highlights. There was an informal campsite at the mission at the top of the hill, and some of the local kids will guide you to a waterfall nearby where you can walk behind the fall...........it's really nice. Don't go close and miss this.........there is also the memorable access road with dozens of hairpin bends. Great fun.

My only other comment is that you are a bit too organised for me! Have your car and kit well organised, but have your itinerary as loose as possible, in my view. You talk about reducing stress levels, but if you have set yourself average speed and distance targets then I can only think you are going to be stressing unnecessarily......or, you might just rush straight by something you really should have stopped and had a look at.

Enjoy your trip!

Mike
    "A poxy, feral, Brit architect who drinks bad beer and supports the wrong rugby team." Tony Weaver

"Mike for President" Freeflyd

Hi, I assume you have a good GPS with trip functions. I travel regularly betwwen Durban and JHB.

I cruise on the highway at about 120 - 130 Kph and find it almost impossible to average better 105Kph, normaly 100. If you factor in trucks, roadworks, Toll booths and quick stop for take away foods, fuel, pee and see etc it is easy to see where the time disappears to.

I would reduce the average speed in the table by 10-20% for most of the legs.

Anyhow good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the advice Fluffy and Mike! Yes, I have an Oregon 300 with both latest Garmap Africa and T4A. Yes, I am concerned that my travel speeds may be optimistic. And no, the itinerary is an exercise to see what is possible, not a fixed schedule. We are pretty much going to take it day-by-day. However, I couldn't resist testing how much I can pack into the trip! :-)

Thanks again, your comments are exactly the kind of "reality check" that I was looking for!

Andre
    My wife and I did a fly-in trip to Lake Malawi in April/May 2008. We landed in Blantyre then took a shuttle to Cape Maclear. Spent 4 nights on Domwe Island just off Cape Maclear. This area is in the Lake Malawi National Park. Snorkelled with millions of Cichlids, swam, relaxed. All I can say is that this was one of the best breaks I have ever had. I would rate the area as a MUST-SEE. Regards Dave

Thanks, Dave. We managed a few days at Cape Maclear. Agree on the snorkelling!