Bribery and corruption incident report form

Default Bribery and corruption incident report form

Hi all

Can anybody please help me with a copy of the Bribery and corruption incident report form used in Mozambique? The link to it in this forum seems to be broken. Haven't been to Moz in 12 years, and don't know what to expect from the locals and cops there these days.

I am going camping at Ponta Malongane for 3 weeks in Aug with a regular tent. Will it be safe, or do I need to go and hire a off-road caravan instead which should be safer?
    U-Turn Infinity

You're pretty safe in Moz - everyone gets excited when a South African is attacked in Moz yet the stats are non existent compared to what goes on in SA every single day.

As for bribery and corruption forms - dont waste your time - the oke you're going to submit them to will probably try to bribe you

Thanx for the input. I was lying awake at night trying to think of ways to try to safeguard our camping gear with all kinds of security gadgets. Luckily we won't be traveling deep into Moz for our reunion trip with Ponta, so hopefully we won't have a run in with their police.
    U-Turn Infinity

Piet, I have been to Malongane several times. The border has always been a pleasure to cross. And we've not had one thing stolen in the camping grounds at Malongane. So take sensible precautions, but relax and enjoy a brilliant spot!

Hi Piet
    Bribery and corruption incident report form
    www.mantareeflodge.co.za/TRAFFIC.pdf

regards
    Barry

Prado Piet

I would be PREPARED, i had some "badluck" on Friday. BE patient!!! ALL SA marked vehicles were being stopped.

From other post about Greed Fines

On Friday going into Mozambique i was ransomed for R800 for allegedly not wearing the seatbelt, after the toll gate i was returning my wallet to my pocket and this "may" have seemed like it was inserting the clip after spotting the cop. the fact that the slip of the tollgate 50m away was in my wallet meant nothing.

i was asked for my license passport etc. the BOX could see there was bucks in my wallet. when i refused to pay he wanted the cars papers, i produced these, he said he wanted the originals.......yeah right. then he wanted to know if i had a triangle.......i refuse to pay a bribe / be ROBBED, but i was already running late so i paid. if you stick around long enough he wil let you go.

In hindsight i should have ensured that i had R50 or R100 bucks in my pocket, wallet under the seat and the license NOT in the wallet. did this for many years when i travelled to Lesotho on a weekly basis.

at 4 the afternoon the same OKE stops me and we do the same procedure, told him to get stitched as he already had R800 from the morning, says but what about some cooldrink money. i just drove off.

MAN i cannot explain how the M*&r in i was.
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

A few Tips from a colleague in Nigeria.

Only open your window a little, show your license, BUT NEVER HAND IT TO THEM!
    Same with your passport and vehicle papers.

If they have these in hand they will hold onto it until you part with your money.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Randy. These occurrences are unfortunately becoming more regular. As you though stated, in hindsight....

When I travel in Moz I make photostats of my papers (ten of each) and hand them copies so as not to piss them off too much.

The cooldrinks you refer to are also a common request - have a few six packs on the back seat - if you tell them you dont have money but how about a six pack, they normally accept.

Its not right but hey - this is Africa boet!

Some good ideas, i started a thread under the overland section to gather useful tips like this.

Aaargh. Why are you guys giving in. Giving them money and drinks and what else. Every time you give in you make it harder for us that will be going there after you

Here is what I do.

Be polite and play for time. If it's heading down hill tell them you will happily pay at the police station and you will follow them there if they don't mind. Stay friendly!

I've never paid a bribe and never will

Also nobody ever took up my offer to go to the police station. (If they do I will still go and pay there and get a receipt)

roxenz and Barry, thanx for your advice. Barry thanx a million 4 the form. Hopefully I wont need it I will definitely stick to all the advice w.r.t. paperwork & triangles etc, and put my happy-smiley face on and play for time if I get stopped. Once in Ponta I will dig a trench for self protection just to be on the safe side I'm sure we'll have a ball of a time once there.
    Last edited by RooiPiet; 2009/06/12 at 08:43 PM.
    U-Turn Infinity

Quote Originally Posted by Picks View Post
    Aaargh. Why are you guys giving in. Giving them money and drinks and what else. Every time you give in you make it harder for us that will be going there after you

Here is what I do.

Be polite and play for time. If it's heading down hill tell them you will happily pay at the police station and you will follow them there if they don't mind. Stay friendly!

I've never paid a bribe and never will

Also nobody ever took up my offer to go to the police station. (If they do I will still go and pay there and get a receipt)

You've obviously never been locked up in a Moz prison and believe me you dont want to be.

You can meet a lion in the bush and 9 times out of ten when you shout loudly at it, it will run away, the tenth time, however........

Quote Originally Posted by bomtek View Post
    You're pretty safe in Moz - everyone gets excited when a South African is attacked in Moz yet the stats are non existent compared to what goes on in SA every single day.

Except when the people that have the troubles is friends of yours and they have been robbed at gunpoint and the tyres are slashed so the crooks can get away.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Corruption bribery etc is like a cancer once it gets a hold it does not let go - not easily - you have to fight it. Only as a last resort and only as last resort should we give in to this nonsense and when we give in we are unfortunately setting the next two (at least) unfortunate people up as the next targets. THE MORE THEY GET FROM THE "GOOSE" THE MORE THEY WANT - DO NOT GIVE IN WITHOUT A FIGHT !

Quote Originally Posted by bomtek View Post
    You've obviously never been locked up in a Moz prison and believe me you dont want to be.

You can meet a lion in the bush and 9 times out of ten when you shout loudly at it, it will run away, the tenth time, however........

I agree it's a gamble, but so is the bribing of officials - illegal.

My problem is the people who when pulled over stands ready with 6 pack coke, smokes and say "here you go officer and how much do I owe you"