Buying a new 4x4

Default Buying a new 4x4

Any suggestions welcome.

I previously had a Ford Courier 2.5, 4x4 and the only complaint was the very hard ride even with OME shocks. I sold it got a Kia Sedona which now has make me totally use to the luxury and the auto box is a really pleasure in the traffic as well. But for daily driving I use my Corsa CDTI which is great and the average 5.5 Ė 6 l/100 is a really pleasure as well.

Iíve been looking at the Navara before I bought the KIA (5 star crash rating) and what shocked me was the low safety rating on the Navara. Therefore decided to get rid of 4x4ís at that stage and rather go for a safer car.
    But my daily drive is giving me a bit of a problem and Iím really thinking of selling it off and getting a 4x4 again.

Now for the problems.
    On diesel
    1) I just spend 11K on the Corsa diesel pump which was out of guarantee which I find very expensive but Opel wanted to charge me 16K.
    2) Iím getting a bit nervous on diesel cars / bakkies at this stage, a friend had to spend almost 80K on a jeep diesel engine rebuild when the turbo went.
    3) Another friend bought a Golf TDI and when I read up about the problems the guys are having with these cars turboís, I get very edgy.
    4) It seems that what you gain on the better fuel consumption, you might just lose again on engine rebuild.
    On petrol
    1) Ok, if I go for petrol again, Iím thinking of going for at least 4L, the Corsa is actually very nippy and I would hate to lose the power and performance if I buy for instance a 2.4L.
    2) Fuel consumption, but if 4L I can / should live with it.

Iím looking at max 300K and would prefer a 4x4 again, but 4x2 with diff lock will also do as the bakkie would rather be for a daily drive, but I would also like to use the bakkie for a weekend away in the veld.

Iím looking for a bakkie which will fit 4 adults with ease and would take to the open road with great gusto.
    Options are
    Navara, but has the safety been sorted out?
    Toyota, donít really like the shape but looks ok on the inside, but does not really stand out in a crowd.
    Tirton, shape is growing on me, but the interior looks like it should be in a pimped GTI.
    What other 4x4 are on the market which is worth while looking at?

You could always go back to the Ford/Mazda stable...

If I am to buy a bakkie right now, I wouldn't look any further than a Hilux. My biggest decision would be d4d of V6... I have driven a V6 Fortuner lately and I am very impressed. I also wouldn't worry too much about the diesels. if you maintain the car properly and drive it like a diesel and not a petrol, you should be ok. I have read a lot about the "issues" regarding VW tdi's and as I owned one for a numer of years without ANY trouble, I'm taking a lot of these writings with a bit of salt...
    Toyota Hilux V6, Tough Dog Suspension, Long Range Fuel Tank, Dual Battery, Cooper St Maxx, Eko Alu Canopy
    Ford Ranger 3.2 Auto DC, Ironman snorkel, BF Goodrich KO2, Eko Alu Canopy, Drawer System, 90l NL, Dual Battery System (Sold)
    Fortuner V6 - Dual battery, 72 liter auxilary fuel tank, Ironman suspension, 90l NL, Hannibal roofrack, 50 liter water tank (Sold - Served us well, will miss him!)

Toyota RAV4 2014
    Corolla d4d (sold)
    110 Defender 2.8i 161Kw, 180l long range tanks, NL Weekender, KC Daylighters (Sadly sold but lots of fond memories)

if you are spending 300K, then whatever you decide to buy should be covered by motorplan. Are you looking at new or a demo vehicle? I paid 300K for my Wrangler with only 8K on the clock, if your looking for comfortable and capable it certainly does the job. Fuel economy is not what I would call impressive but the vehicle takes your mind off that. My opinion is completely bias though. Good luck in your search.
    Rich

thanks for all the replies.
    In the Ford stable, I've had about 3 or 4 Fords already, and have always had good service out of them. I've test driven the Ford 3 L Diesel and it really goes very well, the thing against it is the fact that its diesel, and as I've mentioned, I not so sure about diesel any more, and also lacking way to much on the Ford/Maxda is rear leg room. The only 2 here thats any good in that department is Toyota and Navara.
    I've had a look at the Fortuner, looks good and I think I might need to test drive 1, but I think rather the V6 then.
    Also on the Jeep side, I've never driven 1 but it looks very good, maybe put this up there together with the Fortuner to test drive.
    Looks like its going to be a busy weekend

My 2c worth:
    I also had the diesel petrol debate.
    The petrol won. I would rather pay a bit more on the consumption than have an expensive surprise later on. I am planning on keeping my 4x4 for a long time though.
    As for Jeep. I am very happy with mine.

If you are going to buy a big double cab bakkie you can just as well get a 4x4.
    I had a 4x2 difflock Colt before and found it very limiting.
    One of my friends currently has a 4x2 Toyota and he can't join me on some trips because of this. I wish he had rather gone for the 4x4.

Happy car hunting!

The interior of the Triton is nice. The triton seats four people very comfortably. For 3ook you will get a 2009 3.5 petrol 4x4 with minimal milage on it.

If you want comfort but convenience of a pikup, I would propose that the Triton has the most car/SUV like ride of all the Double cabs.

When I bought it looked at all the double cabs and took my won tape measure and measured every double cab and the fortuner. The Triton was the best from steering wheel to front of drivers seat backrest, and from back of drivers seat backreast to front of rear passenger backrest. The Triton was 25mm better than the next best.

I love my Triton!
    Triton also has the highest Euro EnCap saftey rating of all double cabs.
    Doug
    Pajero 3.5V6 SWB (Gen 3)
    Yes I had to sell my fantastic Triton
    Going to miss it dearly!

If I were to buy a new vehicle it would be one of only two:
    Hilux: Petrol or Diesel (Preferable)
    Ford: Only Diesel
    Jaco van Schalkwyk
    Land Cruiser Prado VX
    [email protected]

Well maybe put the Triton petrol on the list as well. I must admit I've never checked on the rear space on it, but will check up this weekend. (just maybe the dash has also grown on me as well!)
    And Jaco got to agree with you, Ford diesel only, had the 3l's before and just too heavy on the fuel compared to the KW that you get.
    And now for just a total spanner in the works.
    I was reading yesterday on the KIA website about their new Serento. They got a 7 seater, 2.2 diesel, 146KW, 421 NM, 6 speed 4x4 models. Maybe trade in my Sedona (8 seater) and go for the 7 seater, still the same seating, a bit more powerful, and they reckon 7.7 l/100. So I get the space, 4x4 so I can tackle the rough stuff a bit (i've never really used my 4x4 to its full potential) good fuel consumption and a very safe car as well and with 5yr 100 000km maintenance plan as well. Any comments on this soft roader?

I had the Xtrail which I traded for the Triton 2.5 and I must admit its a great bakkie.It has loads of interior space,good power,fuel efficient and a 5year maintenace plan.For the price I payed I doubt I could even get a new 180 Corolla.
    If I had to crit the car it would be the hard seats.I find myself shifting around a bit during a long trip.The other gripe would be the crappy tyres they come out with.Other than that it is a great vehicle and certainly worth a look.I must admit,I have always been a Isuzu fan,but their prices lately are crazy and I found the triton to be more car for your money.I never thought of the triton until a bud of mine who works for mitsu stopped at my filling station.So go out their and look nicely before you decide.
    Good luck and enjoy