Robbed in Moz

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Robbed in Moz

Default Robbed in Moz

I want to get in contact with the people who were attact between Masinga and Pomene on the 31/5/09. They were 2 vehicles,the 1 was towing a trailer and the other 1 was a Nissan Pathfinder. They were robbed of their valuebels.We had contact with the police but they were not very helpfull. It could have been us , but it looks like we were driving a bit fast.It would be very usefull to know what happend there as the robbers cut of me and my friends who were traveling just a few minutes behind us. We were 3 Land cruisers.

Yes. It was friends of ours.

Patty Cooper, her son and his wife.

Any info would be appreciated. They are still in Moz.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

I just spoke to Frans and I sounds like it was Patty and the kids.

Guys, I want to make a big stink of this.

Anybody with bad experiences from Moz, please come forward. Then we can pass it to the press and see if our "new brooms" are worth their money
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

Henris,

Can you find out any more details of what happened? I haven't seen anything about it on any of the international or national news agencies.

Tony
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

No, you won't find it anywhere.

Ian spoke to them in Moz today and they are having a whale of a time. They just decided that these criminals will not spoil their trip.

It sounds like there were 3 of them. 2 with knives and 1 with a gun. After holding them up, they slashed the tyres so they had time to escape.

As soon as they get back, we will compile a proper report and pass it to somebody. Maybe SA4x4 or Carte Blanche or somebody. What they do with it is not for us to say.

I would like for this thing to mushroom so that we can give whoever a nice big stinking file. So that is why we need anybody that has been harassed, robbed or whatever in Moz, to come forward.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

well there was that S.A lady that got shot at paradise view north of xai-xai.....if anybody can get hold of those details..
    Never Dull in Africa

ALSO GATVOL OF THIS CRAP!

On Friday going into Mozambique i was ransomed for R800 for allegedly not wearing the seatbelt, after the toll gate i was returning my wallet to my pocket and this "may" have seemed like it was inserting the clip after spotting the cop. the fact that the slip of the tollgate 50m away was in my wallet meant nothing.

i was asked for my license passport etc. the BOX could see there was bucks in my wallet. when i refused to pay he wanted the cars papers, i produced these, he said he wanted the originals.......yeah right. then he wanted to know if i had a triangle.......i refuse to pay a bribe / be ROBBED, but i was already running late so i paid. if you stick around long enough he wil let you go.

In hindsight i should have ensured that i had R50 or R100 bucks in my pocket, wallet under the seat and the license NOT in the wallet. did this for many years when i travelled to Lesotho on a weekly basis.

at 4 the afternoon the same OKE stops me and we do the same procedure, told him to get stitched as he already had R800 from the morning, says but what about some cooldrink money. i just drove off.

MAN i cannot explain how the M*&r in i was.
    Hilux Dakar & Comfort trailer
    The first 40 years of childhood are the toughest!

I think this is the some cop that stopped us. That was the last tollgate just before Komatipoort. He had some drinks (alcohol) in already as it was about 15h00 , he was very smelly. It was about 50m from the tollgate. He also ask for money ,not bribery , but MONEY. As we had the mt100 in our hands for the tollfees he asking for that and more.He was talking alot of and I was not even listening. I later offered him a tin of coke,but demand for 2Liters.Eventualy he got 2tins and we drove off.
    I think he must be between 50-55 years old.It was him and a female.He must be known to that area,as some Moz cars were waving and smiling for him.

Somebody must find more about him,or know him as we don't always have the time to go to a police station and query about him.I think it is his operating area and more people must be aware of that scumbagg.

JIP, same guy, he was there all day.

The police are so damned useless, we might as well start shooting them. I wonder if I'd get a gun license with that as motivation... "To shoot crooks and lazy and/or corrupt cops". Bullets are cheaper than bribes
    SWAMBO
    2009 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2i V6 Auto
    Me
    2003 Ford Focus 2.0

Eurard: For T=2; T=1 but, 1/2T=

That same guy never wares his badge. If not, he is off duty. He Stopped us a few times before. One day a friend of mine that stays in moz, took a photo of him, and told him that he is going to give this to some minister. He offered us money not to do this. He never stopped us again. And we travel that road alot.

Sorry Dirk

Yes it is the same guy. was there all day long.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    ALSO GATVOL OF THIS CRAP!

On Friday going into Mozambique i was ransomed for R800 for allegedly not wearing the seatbelt, after the toll gate i was returning my wallet to my pocket and this "may" have seemed like it was inserting the clip after spotting the cop. the fact that the slip of the tollgate 50m away was in my wallet meant nothing.

i was asked for my license passport etc. the BOX could see there was bucks in my wallet. when i refused to pay he wanted the cars papers, i produced these, he said he wanted the originals.......yeah right. then he wanted to know if i had a triangle.......i refuse to pay a bribe / be ROBBED, but i was already running late so i paid. if you stick around long enough he wil let you go.

In hindsight i should have ensured that i had R50 or R100 bucks in my pocket, wallet under the seat and the license NOT in the wallet. did this for many years when i travelled to Lesotho on a weekly basis.

at 4 the afternoon the same OKE stops me and we do the same procedure, told him to get stitched as he already had R800 from the morning, says but what about some cooldrink money. i just drove off.

MAN i cannot explain how the M*&r in i was.
    Whilst working in moz for 3 months I got my made colour copies of my licence and had them laminated, and used the portions of the licence disc paper after the disc had been cut out as the vehicle papers for road blocks, never had a problem, they could keep them if they wanted to!

Unfortunately it is part of going to Moz. It’s pure extortion and I hate it. We spend every holiday in Moz for many years, but about 5 years ago after spending close on two grand on fines/ bribes to get to Bilene and back we decided stuff them. Until its sorted they will not see one cent of my money in their lodges/ resorts.

We have NEVER EVER been to Moz without being robbed by the cops! Tried the "copies of all documents" advice etc, but the thread of arrest make you part with money very fast. Wherever you travel you are being pulled off the road and bullied out of money by these official thugs. We avoid going there until Moz government has sorted this situation. Suppose it will be very long time before we set foot again.

Well guys, this the tone that I am looking for. So Patty and the kids will be back on Sunday, so I will get a report onto here ASAP. Then we see how we can blow this thing up and who to give it to first.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

I'd love to go up there but not a chance ! Not until they sort this out. It really is the only reason we have not gone there yet.

Have sailed up as far as Nacala before and the same problem exists with the customs guys! ENOUGH!
    Jonathan Balladon
    '04 Pajero LWB DI-D A/T (Now with Emu, ARB bar, RTT, Engel, Drawers, 2nd spare wheel, winch and overdraft)
    BMW 320d
    www.flickr.com/photos/jdballadon
    Diesel Rules!!

Quite scary to hear these reports.. Travelled alone with my wife through that part of Moz at the end of April without incident. But from these reports it will be my last trip up to that part of the world as well as these kind of reports are really unacceptable. Glad to hear that everyone seems to be be ok. I have done two trips to Inhambane in the last three years without having to pay a bribe. Maybe we were just lucky..? I also have laminated copies of all my important documents. I make sure the officials don't touch the originals! Have heard of more than one case were a guy lost his passport due to an official disappearing with it and the diplomatic ruckus they had to go through to eventually get back across the border..

Bad stories. But on the positive side, I have been travelling in Moz for the past 17 years, and yes have been stopped for all sorts of reasons, including speeding (which I admit), and only had to pay R350 Total for 17 years. Not bad!

My advice is NEVER to be in a hurry, obey all the laws, and when stopped just play very stupid and talk, smile, talk until the crooked cop notices there are other easier pickings going by.

But yes you may still have to buy that 'refresco'.

Will be watching my back extra carefully this July when I will be doing a big Moz trip again.

Mike

www.mozguide.com

Have to agree with Mike - as a relatively regular traveller to Moz (four trips in the last 8 years), I have never paid a bribe, never been robbed, and have always had a great time. I have been asked to pay, and have simply pretended not to understand. As Mike says, the crooked cops soon realise there are easier pickings passing by - the same applies in South Africa.

However, in SA, I know several Zimbabweans, Malawians, Kenyans and Mozambicans who are only able to stay on here because they are forced to pay bribes every time they go near the Home Affairs office.

And the crime in Mozambique is negligible compared to SA.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast