Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Glass Cockpit or Steam Gauges for PPL?

My boy will embark shortly on what will hopefully become a career in aviation (long ways and many many ZAR to go on that one - will see how it develops). We are in the final stages of selecting a flight school (Virginia) for his PPL.

So, the question.

Glass Cockpit or Steam Gauges for PPL?

What say you clever avaitors?

We are strongly leaning towards Glass Cockpit as we believe this to be the future.
    Jaco Nell

Default Re: Glass Cockpit or Steam Gauges for PPL?

No doubt the future is glass, however for PPL my view is that focus should be on the basics. Learning to fly & navigate without those aids is important and could literally be lifesaver.
    PPL is the foundation, Id select the school based on the quality of the instructors, not the amount glass on offer. For younger folks switching to glass later should be a very easy & natural progression.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Craig McK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Craig McK View Post
    No doubt the future is glass, however for PPL my view is that focus should be on the basics. Learning to fly & navigate without those aids is important and could literally be lifesaver.
    PPL is the foundation, Id select the school based on the quality of the instructors, not the amount glass on offer. For younger folks switching to glass later should be a very easy & natural progression.
    Totally agreed. A basic, basic flying skill you cannot really learn on glass is to scan properly. A proper, structured scan of instruments could have saved many lives. If all else fails in instrument flying conditions, if only you keep the AH upright you have more than a fair chance, but letting your eyes flit from one instrument to the next is a short step away from losing control. Steam driven instruments are best for teaching the basics of an instrument scan, which you will use even on glass. It's like learning to drive on an auto or manual gearbox, except in a car you can stop next to the road.

Lastly, do the night flying rating early so for hour building you can do lots of night flying at an airfield with clear terrain, a good aeroplane and with more than half moon. Many first flying jobs are in the contract world where they seldom if ever do night flying. I have met lots of youngsters who can't do ATPL because they are short on night hours.

Best of luck, and have a look at https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...nuals/aviation - lots of good stuff there for free.
    2013 Ford Everest 4x2
    2012 Landrover Freelander SD4 "Ou Toppie"

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pointer41 For This Useful Post:

Try and get him to go gliding. There, he will learn to FLY properly, using his eyes and his noggin to keep afloat by reading the weather, wind, topography etc.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    Try and get him to go gliding. There, he will learn to FLY properly, using his eyes and his noggin to keep afloat by reading the weather, wind, topography etc.
    Yes, even with no instruments at times

To build solid pilot skills, learning the fundamentals in a no gyro tail wheel aircraft with some glider time would be my recommendation to start out with, or if the desire is to learn to be a systems manager to fly in the airlines, learn in a glass cockpit with over-reliance on autopilot from the start…

Nearly all my flying as a freight dog was single pilot with no glass, GPS, or deice boots, but with an ADF to listen to music

Two other bits of advice I can give is to learn “Captain Skills” in a two pilot crew environment early in training, that was the biggest difficulty I faced transitioning into the airline environment after flying single pilot for years…

…and learn how to actually know how to navigate, plan, and make cross country flights, too many of my transitioning students to instrument/commercial training had built up plenty flight time with local flights, but couldn’t plan/fly a 250 mile cross country flight.
    Last edited by AardvarkNV; 2022/07/29 at 02:37 PM.
    David Vierra
    Needs palm trees & sun…
    ‘22 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3L
    ‘13 VW Tiguan 4Motion 2.0L
    ‘95 Toyota Corolla 1.6L
    ‘52 Beech Bonanza

10. The Following User Says Thank You to AardvarkNV For This Useful Post: