Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Which cell phone / gps is best?

My cell contract is up for renewal and I am looking at upgrading a cell phone with a build in GPS. It will mainly be used in town since I have a Nuvi for more "heavy duty" work.

I'm sure a lot of these so called build in GPS's are no more that a gimic.

Please give me an idea of which models you can recommend (preferably from personal experience) based on reliability, accuracy and ease of use.

Thanks

4ePikanini Guest

Nokia 6110 Navigator.

Very detailed maps
    Easy to use
    Lifetime license

Have the Nokia 6110 Navigator and uses it everyday as a street finder. Its GPS not a gimmick. Think it is now replced by the 6210.

try the samsung omnia if windows mobile will work for you. it has garmin software with lifetime license
    "Blue Thunder"
    Gert Ferreira
    2004 Hardbody 3.3 V6 D/C 4x4 SEL

We have the 6110, 6210 and the N78 but beware the 6210 and N78 does not have full license. Loaded them all and some peoples at work with Garmin Mobile XT and all are working fine but heavier on batteries. So got hold of car charger with adapter and no problems anymore.
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)
    2009 VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI Field & Track

Alleged "Lifetime" licenses are really nothing of the sort. You are licensed to USE the software and maps for life, but you are not entitled to updates for life. For Nokia this is 12 months normally and Samsung it's the duration of your contract.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

Conditions as per packaging 6210......

Navigation Licence coverage:
    South Africa, Botswana, Lesotho, Namibia, Swaziland

Map package coverage:
    South Africa, Namibia, Lesotho, Botswana
    Swaziland, England, Lazio, Paris, Dubai

Including memory card, size: 1GB
    6 months integrated navigation licence included.

Service provider may charge for data transmission if additional map data
    is downloaded. Please contact your service provider for details.

Nokia 6210 Navigator, handbook page 39....

Activate navigation licence.
    Before you can use the navigation feature, you have to activate the included limited-time licence online ........blah, blah blah.
    After the included licence expires, to purchase a new navigation licence, select.......blah blah blah.
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)

Just make sure the pone has got a fixed (built-in) satelite GPS unit and not like some other phones which will cost you extra due to that it uses GRPS/3G for sending data around to pinn-point your exact position.

Some phones comes complete as a GPS unit with all the extra equipment, like phone holders for the car and car chargers etc. like the Omnia for instance.

Happy phone hunting.
    Toyota Fortuner 3.0 D4D 2X4
    Colt 2.8 TDI 4X4 - It's not fast, it's not furious, but it's FUN!....being missed deeply!!

FEAR is Temporary.... REGRET is Forever....
    Don't learn SAFETY by ACCIDENT!!
    Ps. I still pay in MUD PUDDLES

Quote Originally Posted by Vallies View Post
    Just make sure the pone has got a fixed (built-in) satelite GPS unit and not like some other phones which will cost you extra due to that it uses GRPS/3G for sending data around to pinn-point your exact
    You're confusing GPS with A-GPS (eGPS as some call it)... AGPS can be turned off in most models so not incurring data charges and functions as a standard GPS
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Beans Guest

I have a 6110 which i use and my wife has a samsung with garmin on it. I rather use my 6110 which has route 66 on it than the garmin. The other day in JHB i had my garmin 200 and must say my 6110 gave better directions. Yes they are limited in the use but for doff oaks like me the 6110 suits my needs

I have a Nokia N82 (1 year old). Nokia map's are okay and i received a 24 month GPS map "thing"

1) The battery drains like nothing if you use the GPS
    2) Update to Garmen Mobile asap. (works like a Nuvi)
    3) Buy a car charger and holder

I also only use my Cell GPS if i do not have my car or forgot my normal GPS. The N82 is fast, reliable and no problems to date. Will recommend it or it's update.
    Adriaan

The novelty of a cellphone gps has worn off for me.
    Too unreliable.

When it works it's great

Example, last week I drove from Milnerton to Somerset West. I arrived in Somerset West and it still hadn't found satelite signal yet. I chucked it in my rucksack (it was raining- also forgot to switch off the gps) and proceeded up the mountain. Halfway up I hear directions coming out my rucksack and the okes start teasing me.

Ja, from Milnerton till halfway up the Hottentots Holland Mountains before I got a signal. Then it froze and needed a reboot!

It's a toy
    * "Wat Spike probeer sÍ in sy min woorde" -Die Skim "
    .................................................. .....

Have a look at the
    NOKIA N95 8GB
    I use it a lot for sending large data files
    I also think it is good for GPS (have not tried it yet in a big way)

Niek van Wyk
    2007 FORD RANGER 3.0 TDCI 4x4 XLE DC

25d 44m 52s S
    28d 13m 52s E

The longest it's taken my Omnia to get a lock is about 5 minutes, and with AGPS turned on about 20 seconds.

If you're moving and can't get a lock, then stop and wait until it locks.
    Carpe Diem Scrotum

Go for the Samsung Omnia, free Garmin navigation and ease to use.
    Only problem is windows mobile.
    2009 Suzuki Jimny, BFG's

Nokia 6110 - redundant
    Nokia N95 - redundant
    Nokia N82 - redundant

Samsung S8300 has a 2 year Garmap licence.
    Have a look here: www.gsmarena.com

2019 Ford Ranger 3.2 Tdci XLT DC Auto
    2007 Daihatsu Terios ​Sold
    2015 Ford Ranger DC XLS Sold
    2013 Land Rover Defender Pickup 90 LE - Savannah - Sold
    2007 Land Rover Defender Puma SW90 - Brutus - Sold

As terrible as the Omnia is (I hate mine and want to destroy it with fire), The Garmin GPS on it is brilliant.
    Stu.
    Current:
    06 Wrangler Sahara. 3.5inch Rubicon Express and Bilstein lift, Metalcloak control arms, 1.25" RC Body Lift, 1" JKS MotorMount Lift, Zone Disconnects, BFG KM2 33's
    NO LOCKER NEEDED!!!
    KTM 1290SuperAdventure R
    2022 Ford Ranger FX4

TheoP,
    There are much more to this issue.......there are good advice here...main things to remember are....

The GPS is as good as its software and the human interface. If you tell it to ignore secondary roads, it will do just that and take you only via highways. Your personal settings are thus important.

You should have the newest maps. Route66 does not even have maps of Westonaria. Garmin SA 2008 does have Westonaria. So if you are using it with old maps, expect it will be wrong sometimes. More so in the future.

The make of the unit is a personal issue usually. You might like HTC and I might prefer Nokia. Do you like windows OS or does'nt it matter? I do not like units with moving parts as it is less reliable. Maybe you think a sliding phone is cool.....

Personal experience for many years with various makes of GPS's, from R1,200 to R35,000 units, even comparing next to each other in the field, I could not find fault with the cheapy. I compared the 6110, 6210 and N78 to the R35,000 unit from a very reputable make and found them all accurate enough for dayly use. Geocaching, the 6110 brings me to within 2 meters from the cache. So the N78.

The amount of sattelites picked up by your unit will determine the accuracy in most cases. Two sats is not enough, three will usually give you a fair reading in two dimensions (lat & long) but four and more will give you better accuracy even in the third dimension (elevation). So the more Sats the better the accuracy.

Now, the Sats.....remember here we are using extremely low level signals. For any unit to receive a sat reliable, it must receive a proper signal. In South Africa and many other places, you will have some difficulty picking up enough sats. They are not very high above the horizon. Between high rise buildings in cities, dense forrests and in the deep vally's of mountains, your unit might not receive enough sats to determine its position. This includes the R35,000 unit.

This brings us to receiving antennas. In the ealier days, a 30 meter or greater dish antenna with 60dB gain was needed to pick up such small signals. (60dB is roughly a million times). Normally your unit will have at least 12 antennas all build into one very small unit. If you now cover this small antenna with your body or the body of a vehicle, or you carry it in a pocket and the antennas covered, do not expect it to receive any sattelite. Don't just blame the unit.

Importantly, this technology was designed for American military purposes and during wars or for other security reasons, they change the software, algoritms or whatever, to mess up the accuracy for non american users. They have done so in the past and will probably do it in the future. My saltmine were using american programs for positioning and we had to take note of the time and day to enable them to plot the data accuratly. They (the americans working here on the project) were informed of the offset that was introduced on purpose. Again, do not just blame your unit.

For me, important is.....
    1. physical size......I like small gadgets
    2. ease of software upgrading.....I prefer Symbian
    3. can I charge the unit while moving?
    4. know the technology........read up....the saying is RTFM
    5. do not persuade anyone to buy on your advice only......you will be blamed if something goes wrong........

Again.......there are much more to this....
    Andre ZR6AGA 8)

I love my N82 GPS. With the AGPS it has your approximate position within seconds of starting the GPS app, and it can work indoors where my friend's garmin can only dream of working. Also works 100% lying on the passenger seat. No window-mount antenna necessary.

So the hardware is top-notch.

Can install any GPS software you want, including tracks-4-africa capable programs.

Due for a upgrade this weekend.
    S8300 or Omnia 900?
    Or any new and better Samsung.

Disco 2 V8 XS
    4WDCSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast