Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Default Re: SAA flight nearly went very bad!

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperscreepersXJ View Post
    Tow bars can't really break.. they've got shear ratings... the bolts will just brake and disconnect itself from the tug, violent but does happen sometimes.. shouldn't damage the aircraft if used properly.

The guy in the cockpit really does nothing, he can't brake the aircraft without it being on and the hydraulics all pressurized. He's normally only there for radio calls to the "ground / tower" in case they need him to stop (which he then communicates to the tug driver) and of course to get approval to taxi + park brake and possibly brakes in an emergency but you're flattening the battery chop chop and you will damage the tug/tow bar/aircraft if you slam on brakes.. APU running different story of course.

I'm not sure of the exact point of impact of these two aircraft, but taxing isn't rocket science... they have painted lines that you must follow, you can't willy nilly cruise around. One of the two aircraft was not on their respective lines so to speak.
    The aircraft veered off the painted lines once it was unconnected. You can see the damage in the following clip - excuse the music...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-OZne6h0gdg
    Mike Lauterbach

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mikeml For This Useful Post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airport 2.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	672566Click image for larger version. 

Name:	airport.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	375.9 KB 
ID:	672567

I hope my pics come out. I'm guessing this is where it roughly is.. clearly the A320 is not on the yellow taxi line and is now taxing in the "car" area on the white dotted lines
    Either the tug driver cut the turn into the bay or he lost control and sheared off the tow bar and it just rolled away (highly unlikely) or he was drunk and taxing the plane on the dotted car lines (likely this is Africa)

Look accidents happen in towing all the time.. it will be very interesting to know what the actual cause was for this expensive booboo. (ATC will know as they have the transponder readouts and can pinpoint where the aircrafts movements were on the ground) or even video.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jeeperscreepersXJ For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperscreepersXJ View Post
    flight is empty then...
    yip. Sitting on the plane now, about to take off. This plane is huge!! 8 seats in a row. space for miles and miles

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I have to fly SAA tomorrow.
    Ive been getting emails the past two days saying if I pay an extra R385 I can book up the seat next to me to not have to sit next to anyone.
    How very bizarre!
    ....so they obviously knew the flight was empty and wanted you to pay R385 for nothing!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dan2 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wylie E View Post
    Talking about contaminated fuel, I flew in a Dana Airline flight in Nigeria and 2 weeks later the same plane crashed about 14 km from Lagos on approach due to fuel contamination.
    On a flight back from Abuja I on Virgin Nigeria 737. Craft had no aircon running when we boarded (APU not running) They used GPU to start engines and only then did aircons start working. When we landed at Lagos when airflaps lifted the amount of leaking hydraulics was mind boggling. Not to mention both these airlines don't exist anymore.
    Flying in with SAA from JHB the aircraft was always shut down prior to parking. The aircraft was then towed to position as they could not navigate gangway to aircraft.
    Its a wonder there aren't many more accidents with the number of flights by African national carriers.
    I've got around 12 years rotating in and out of Nigeria and over the years I've observed that Nigerian airlines have a lifespan of a few years.
    All rosy and shiny at start-up, then a period of reliable service with decent machines, but as soon as the parts bill starts to go up for D checks and similar it clashes with the Boss' lifestyle and parts takes second place to lifestyle.
    Then, the delayed flights season starts as a machine is now down for maintenance and the fleet is overutilised, meaning the next flight to land will be turned around for the delayed one instead of it's planned flight.
    After this comes random unexplained cancellations of flights, then soon after, all fall down and another one bites the dust.
    a few examples...
    Changchangi with their famous 2 engined 727s....
    Okada
    Bellvue
    Aero
    Virgin Nigeria
    Air Nigeria
    et al.
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

SAA has the CAA in their pocket who investigate all aircraft incidents. I think you will find that this gets covered up.

CAA has managed to bankrupt One time. Tried their best with Cemair, grounded for 6 months over nothing and they have tried with Safair, that's why I say SAA has the CAA in it's pocket.
    2018 Hilux Dakar fully kitted.
    2016 Metalian Parthian
    2021 Suzuli Swift 1.2 GLX Swambo's shopping trolley.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pwgg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dan2 View Post
    ....so they obviously knew the flight was empty and wanted you to pay R385 for nothing!
    exactly.
    every 8 seater row had max three people per row. My row it was only me. How very very weird.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NEON DEON View Post
    I am/was a aircraft tech at Smuts , did many turn arounds on the " base' checked the fuel for water contamination and lots of other pre-flight checks , But this is more than 30 years ago , For this to have been a water in fuel problem , there must have been plenty water to cause a engine problem . The consumption is like 4000 lt per hour , that's plenty fuel , its pumped into the engine at pressure, just the heat in the combustion chamber will vaporise water , but as said , I cant remember much .
    Water is a possibility , but I think just an excuse .
    True, I worked at the Refinery in Ops and know the strict testing procedures when loading Jet, sampling, and storing the sample and at CT they won't decant the truck if they don't get one of the Refinery samples and then take the truck sample for testing..When Clinton visited SA the "FBI/MIB" check our lab and took their own samples for testing loaded the tanker and stay with the Fuel tanker at CT to load the plane themselves..
    VW TDI 205kw 6 speed + 2022 Suzuki Swift GLX
    Dries de Kock
    ZS1SPY

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kadafi For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pointer41 View Post
    The Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) should be on for towing providing power and basic hydraulics. Normally the tow vehicle is in contact with the tower/ground, smaller aircraft can be towed otherwise but will normally have the means to stop with cockpit operated brakes.

The Flysafair aircraft was in the parking bay stationary, so probably where it was supposed to be. As far as I have read elsewhere, the tow bar sheared (or broke, it's really the same thing ), and the SAA aircraft rolled apparently uncontrolled with the wingtip to tail impact some distance on.

Hopefully a suitable board of inquiry will determine all the causal factors to minimise the chance of it reoccuring.
    Fat chance of that shedding any light if the blame is even remotely towards SAA....
    Cheers,
    John Kilfoil

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Land Rover Discovery II V8 Manual
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

Ok......

Were supposed to fly out last night at 22:30 and received a message that the flight has been delayed to 11:00 this morning

Passengers already checked in etc has been accomodated in a local Hotel here in Lagos, needless to say it's been described as the hotel from hell

Their website consequently updated it to 13:30 today and is currently standing at 15:30 and nobody can confirm the actual departure time

Some of us had connecting flights on CEMAIR to George, the next available flight is 25th December ... the other flights are sold out

Some are diverting to PE and drive down to George, and some to CT

Basicly a royal f-up
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

Quote Originally Posted by 280iNyati View Post
    Ok......

Were supposed to fly out last night at 22:30 and received a message that the flight has been delayed to 11:00 this morning

Passengers already checked in etc has been accomodated in a local Hotel here in Lagos, needless to say it's been described as the hotel from hell

Their website consequently updated it to 13:30 today and is currently standing at 15:30 and nobody can confirm the actual departure time

Some of us had connecting flights on CEMAIR to George, the next available flight is 25th December ... the other flights are sold out

Some are diverting to PE and drive down to George, and some to CT

Basicly a royal f-up
    Sorry to hear of your plight - I see an SAA aircraft inbound from Lagos, hope you got sorted! Some years ago a A330 had a serious hydraulic failure in Abudja. Took us four hours to get back to the gate and the local staff were simply not up to the task. Fortunately I could stay again in the crew house (I left the circus early, staff were still trying to see if the flight would take place but weeks later the Airbus was still parked in a corner). I arrived in Jhb two days later via Lagos, and then the Gautrain broke down. Was one of those trips that made the others seem better... But hope you are home in time!
    2013 Ford Everest 4x2
    2012 Landrover Freelander SD4 "Ou Toppie"

Interesting info / report from Carte Blanche regarding the CAA and SAA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mjl2...&index=1&t=17s
    Frik Eloff
    Isuzu 300tdi D-teq, reg vir die bos....
    Toyota Tuna 2.7 4x4 .... grudge necessity "not my choice"

Stay away from SAA and hookers!
    2022 Defender D300HSE
    2022 Isuzu Mux 4x2 LSE
    2019 FJ Cruiser
    BL Kewer 3188
    Fusion 17

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4