Default 80 litre fridge freezer

Ok So many moons ago I bought 3x 40 litre snow master fridges for some of my cars, within one year the all failed, since then I have been using Engel and have never had a problem,
    Now my needs have changed but I also believe the snow master product has improved a lot. I am on the market for a double compartment 80 litre fridge freezer combo. The snow master is one hell of a lot cheaper than the Engel, I haven't looked at the national luna.

Which would you buy and why?

Default Re: 80 litre fridge freezer

I've had my National Luna 60L for about 3 years. Admittedly not used as often as I would have liked (thanks COVID), but on part of some reasonably hectic trails (3 Provinces, Klein Pella, including some dunes, and recently Sani Pass and Lesotho), and so far it hasn't skipped a beat.

FWIW
    Rob Kirk

Amarok V6.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ama-newbie For This Useful Post:

Inevitably, this will deteriorate in a "mine is better than yours" thread. And I don't deny that an Engel may be better - but do we always have to have the "best"?
    But to answer you question. I have the 92l low profile (it suits me perfectly because of this) and been using it for 3 years. Previously had the 65l low profile for 3 years.
    So far, working superbly. And that remote monitor is a boon.
    And if you are willing to wait, that always have specials, especially on Black Friday.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hatjohan For This Useful Post:

We had a 80l Engel for 18 years. Unfortunately when it broke down it could not be repaired.

Would have loved to buy another 80l Engel, but unfortunately they are very expensive / over priced. Bought a 75l Snomaster Expedition series for half the price on Black Friday sale.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastiaan For This Useful Post:

I had 2 x 40 l Engel for years which worked brilliantly. Unfortunately sold when we purchased our camper which was designed around the NL90 Litre (in a BL Bosluis). However in 5 years NL have replaced the NL90 5 times. The after sales services has been fantastic, but some of their products developed a bubble (apparently suppliers used a different glue) in the deep freeze side and you were then not able to put in the baskets and close the lid. We are redesigning the area where the fridge/water goes, but have limited space. My choice would be to have 2 separate fridge/freezer so that if one fails you have the other. Pioneer Plastics have given excellent service as an alternative to heavy stainless steel water tanks. I am busy making a list of all the fridges and their sizes and weight, although not all that information is available on the internet. I want to go look at the Flex Adventures fridge, apparently imported from China 2.5 yrs ago with service facilities in CT and PTA. In my heart I would like to go for 2 Engels but don't think they will fit. What is so fantastic about the NL95 is their basket systems - really really nice how you can separate your meat from your ice (2 baskets) and then cold rinks and fridge stuff (3 baskets). I have seen inside the Snowmasters yet. Our next big trip is next year August where we are going to GABON and don't want a fridge failure on that trip.

So also looking .....
    Finally got rid of that annoying sound in the 4x4, opened the door and pushed him out

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Raceway For This Useful Post:

With me being based in Zambia and basically no decent backup or repair centers, then the main thing has to be reliability.
    I have a 65L engel that has given me a couple of issues since I bought it in 2003, the only place I can get it reliabily repaired is at 4x4 mega world and it takes them months to do the repair, as I try to avoid SA as much as possible and only have one trip per year I am without my 65l for 12 months. All the MT 45 Engels have never let me down but with my new set up I need one bigger fridge/ freezer.
    I believe that Snowmaster in Germiston have a good client back up/ repair service?

Local 4x4 hire firms use for a reason only Engels.
    Johan Kriel

Quote Originally Posted by tripodontour View Post
    With me being based in Zambia and basically no decent backup or repair centers, then the main thing has to be reliability.
    I have a 65L engel that has given me a couple of issues since I bought it in 2003, the only place I can get it reliabily repaired is at 4x4 mega world and it takes them months to do the repair, as I try to avoid SA as much as possible and only have one trip per year I am without my 65l for 12 months. All the MT 45 Engels have never let me down but with my new set up I need one bigger fridge/ freezer.
    I believe that Snowmaster in Germiston have a good client back up/ repair service?
    My Snomaster is now 7 years old and apart from a cable fault that I caused has been flawless.

However in your shoes and keeping in mind where you are based I would cry once and just buy the Engel.
    Brandt Theunissen
    2019 Toyota Raider 2.8 GD-6 4X4 A/T S/C
    2007 Mercedes Benz ML500 5.5
    1968 VW Beetle 2276

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Koebelwagen For This Useful Post: