Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: 1st Time Kruger Park advice

Thank you for all the responses guys. It is much appreciated and I will take them all into consideration. This is my first time in the park and I believe the northern part is quieter - hopefully I will visit again one day in the not too distant future, and then I will do that area to get a change. Thanks again guys for your help and time.

Cheers,

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AfricainHD View Post
    Come on chaps, this is South Africa, all roads are dangerous using some logic here.

Stay alert with driving and when you park a car, like you do in the rest of the country or wrap yourselves in bubble wrap and stay home.
    Not in the Southern Cape >> No Security Cos needed other at home
    Hilux 2.5 Litre DC 2015 4x2
    Summit Everest Trailer Full House

Quote Originally Posted by cside View Post
    Some good advice here and some I would ignore but up to you to see which is which, except to say AfricainHD knows his stuff.

I dont know a lot about the road from Jhb to Nelspruit but when I have done it I used the N4 and then Schoemanskloof. Busy but nice scenery and stop at Jobert and Sons.

When I enter the park I download the entry form from the SANParks website and complete it at home, when I get to the gate it allows me to get to the front of the queue while others cmplete their forms.

You will be restricted to the South of the park, but I think you could safely do Malelane to Skukuza, Lower Sabie and Back to Corocdile Bridge in a day.

As far as time of the days go, get there early, the gates open at 06:00 and close at 17:30 - that is both camp and main gates so you will still entr the park at dark and get out just after sunset. No need to worry that the over nighters have chased anythng because they are bound by the same times at the moment.

Stop at picnic spots when you need to and dont spend too much time at any of them as the road may be long. I dont recall if you said you were going in multiple times but if you are then alternate which stops you make. Leave enough time for :Kruger Road Blocks".

Speed is limited to 50kms on tar and 40 on dirt. The 'H; roads are usually (95%) tar and 'S' roads are dirt.

Here is my biggest bit of advice. Just enjoy it. It is one of the most magical experiences I have ever had. I still appreciate every minute that I get to spend in the park and cannot get enough of those minutes. I made a video of our first trip and although it is quite crappy I can see the overwhelmed look when I watch it again.

Take in the beauty and nature as much as you can.
    Yes but the In Park Guests just drive out of camp at gate opening While the Long Queues at the outside Entry Gates all filling in forms and taking there time Means that it means nothing that Gates in the Park open at the same time at this time of the year >> You will miss the good Light and the roads will have been swept

I might be totally wrong here, but, is there not some system lately for day visitors that they limit the number allowed in the park each day, and you can make a booking as well to make sure you do get in? If so, is it not also school holidays next week?
    I could be wrong on both counts here, but, just checking, and maybe someone can confirm here.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    I might be totally wrong here, but, is there not some system lately for day visitors that they limit the number allowed in the park each day, and you can make a booking as well to make sure you do get in? If so, is it not also school holidays next week?
    I could be wrong on both counts here, but, just checking, and maybe someone can confirm here.
    Correct Graham You need to book for Hols especially Day Visitors in Jul School Hols >> I never Day Visit as per my hate for missing the light and I dont do Queues >> we now do month long stays in max 2 camps and relax what with the distance from PE and Petrol Price and cost of staying outside and the Angst of Queing every day

Advanced Bookings for Day Visitors

There is a maximum threshold of visitors that can enter the park daily. If this threshold is reached only visitors with pre-booked overnight accommodation will be permitted access. Such situations tend only to arise in extreme cases such as public holidays and long weekends.

Advanced day visitor bookings can be made via our Online Bookings.
    Kruger National Park allows advance reservations for day visits, in addition to the conservation fees payable via various Reservation Offices.
    A booking fee is payable when making an advanced day booking.
    Pre-booked day visits must be paid in advance, on or before the deposit due date.
    Guests who book one day in advance must pay when the booking is made.
    Wild card members have to pay this “advance booking fee” if they want to pre-book their day visit.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    Yes but the In Park Guests just drive out of camp at gate opening While the Long Queues at the outside Entry Gates all filling in forms and taking there time Means that it means nothing that Gates in the Park open at the same time at this time of the year >> You will miss the good Light and the roads will have been swept
    If we pre-book do we still complete forms and stand in queues, or do we then jump the queues? - Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Legg View Post
    If we pre-book do we still complete forms and stand in queues, or do we then jump the queues? - Thanks.
    No queues jumping, it only mean you will have permit and will not be shown away. Let me explain because its your first time. There is two gates. The veterinary gate before the river and bridge which controls entrance to the park of which they will close on instruction of the office where permits are issued at the other side of the bridge when the park is full . For each entry gate to the park a preset amount of permits are allocated which is person related not vehicles. This are to control the amount of people in the park and indirectly vehicles for the facilities available and movement . That mean if two tour buses are in front of you the chances are good you are going to go site seeing for the day. There are 3 different slots with their own allotted permits. So to enter the first gate must be open and you drive to the entry office, park there and proceed with your ID and drivers license and if you have a Wild card and entry form. If you dont have a Wild card buy one now it will save you money, calculate it.
    The Schoemanskloof road is 120 up to Bambi/ Lydenburg turn off. The rest is 100 and 80 zones . There are hidden cameras dont over speed and the speed cameras are on multiple places. They are busy building a graded interchange where it meet the Ngodwana road at Montrose. I know there is blasting and stop and goes on certain times. Dont know what happen on weekends. The Ngodwana road is a safer and more relaxed road to drive. The Schoemanskloof road carries ore trucks from and to Lydenburg and over taking is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bertus View Post
    No queues jumping, it only mean you will have permit and will not be shown away. Let me explain because its your first time. There is two gates. The veterinary gate before the river and bridge which controls entrance to the park of which they will close on instruction of the office where permits are issued at the other side of the bridge when the park is full . For each entry gate to the park a preset amount of permits are allocated which is person related not vehicles. This are to control the amount of people in the park and indirectly vehicles for the facilities available and movement . That mean if two tour buses are in front of you the chances are good you are going to go site seeing for the day. There are 3 different slots with their own allotted permits. So to enter the first gate must be open and you drive to the entry office, park there and proceed with your ID and drivers license and if you have a Wild card and entry form. If you dont have a Wild card buy one now it will save you money, calculate it.
    The Schoemanskloof road is 120 up to Bambi/ Lydenburg turn off. The rest is 100 and 80 zones . There are hidden cameras dont over speed and the speed cameras are on multiple places. They are busy building a graded interchange where it meet the Ngodwana road at Montrose. I know there is blasting and stop and goes on certain times. Dont know what happen on weekends. The Ngodwana road is a safer and more relaxed road to drive. The Schoemanskloof road carries ore trucks from and to Lydenburg and over taking is a problem.
    Thank you Bertus.

As you can see people are booking in advance and watch, as more people arrive the more they will book dont cry like other before if you followed the threads
    Attached Images Attached Images  

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bertus For This Useful Post:

As you can see people are booking in advance and watch, as more people arrive the more they will book dont cry like other before if you followed the threads
    It would be interesting to see what the maximum number of people they allow per gate as day visitors.
    "When a clown enters a palace, he does not turn into a prince, the palace turns into a circus."

Luka Geertsema

Die getalle is vir dag besoekers alleen. Inwonende besoekers se permitte maak deel uit van die besprekings die getalle is apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by bertus; 2022/06/25 at 08:00 PM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to bertus For This Useful Post:

Early in the day disappointment.

*ALERT*
    Quotas at Crocodile Bridge are full
    Tinged by Jenny

Early in the day disappointment.

*ALERT*
    Quotas at Crocodile Bridge are full
    Tinged by Jenny
    This was at 11h33. So one must try early in the day or use the on line system to prevent disappointment.

Hi folks,

A bit of feedback from me post trip.

drive up was in a Quantum with a 100 km/h limiter, so frustrating but peaceful. We took the Schoemanskloof road and there were indeed a lot of trucks and overtaking was an issue, but as we were speed limited anyway we just took it easy allowing others to pass us and overtaking where we could on dual carriage sections. Joubert en Seuns was an interesting stop with some nice produce, but disappointed in their wet droewors. I believe it should not be sold wet….ever….:-). Should be against the law!!

We stayed at Khandizwe in Malalane and it was a lekker place but irritating had building on the plot next door which we were not told about in advance. That’s just not cricket.

Access to the park was ok without booking at Malalane (on advice from the gate staff) but the day we tried to enter at Crocodile Bridge we were caught out. Ablution facilities at the gates were shocking with no running water in some of the ladies facilities. For a park of the importance of Kruger this is unforgivable. Afsaal was a disappointment and they could do a lot more to make it better. Simple things like better lighting in the shop, and availability of basic staple drinks that were out of stock. We met the local hyena who frequents the picnic area. Lower Sabie was lovely as was Berg en Dal. I heard the facilities are due an upgrade, so sooner the better for some,of them. Staff were all charming at the gates and do the park justice.

Game viewing was great. The south has had late rains which helps apparently. Between our normal driving around with entry relatively late in the mornings and one night game drive we saw pretty much everything one could hope to see. Most of it static, so no exciting hunting bits of kill scenes or anything, but we ticking all the big animals off the list. The night game drive was staffed by only one lady who did the best she could have, but we felt a second person would have been better.

So, all in all a lovely trip and a very memorable first trip to Kruger. Thanks to you all for the hints and tips. The only thing I think I may do differently next time is take no camera. Tends to make things a bit more ‘high stakes’ in a weird kind of way. Oh, and stay in the park as well as hit the northern sections too. It’s crazy big so many options to explore more. Everything takes more time than one thinks.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Sorry to hear about Afsaal not making the grade, I'm sure you caught them on a bad day.
    Definitely stay in the park next time.
    PS. I personally love the houses at SIRHENI BUSHVELD CAMP, if going north is your aim.
    Attachment 660685
    Last edited by RoelfleRoux; 2022/07/03 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Legg View Post
    The only thing I think I may do differently next time is take no camera. Tends to make things a bit more ‘high stakes’ in a weird kind of way.
    im a big advocate for this! My wife loves taking photos of anything and everything, but, in the game reserves I always need to tell her to stop looking at sightings through a view finder and just enjoy the moment.
    we all know what a lion or elephant looks like, no need for another photo of one.
    Graham Robertson
    Nissan Patrol 4.8

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

I have never found afsaal to be more than a stop for ice and ablutions. But I didn't want to be a negative Nelly before.

On the camera issue I agree with you. I take it with, but instead of taking 1000 pics I only look for really good shots. If the sighting doesn't allow for a perfect shot I don't even take the camera out. If there's no intention of taking the picture to Lightroom then it's not worth taking it.
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage
    YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9NsHwaew1QQwFLuIx38UbQ
    Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to LandyLove For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2