Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Commuting: GS vs KLR?

I had a KLR 650 and a GS 1150, I also had a Aprilia Pegaso 650 (same as GS 650)

KLR 650 - Lovely bike to drive, maneuverability is amazing, fuel consumption is very good, bike is easily maintained and cheaply, but they are sensitive to wind especially on highway speeds with trucks etc. Dont expect to do 140kmh comfortably on highways for long distances.

GS 1150 - Bike as ample power, and stable, but I might have had a dud, it had endless problems, costed me a lot, and injectors always giving issues. imported parts from UK just to fix it, sold it for next to nothing. Gave me 7-8km/L, so its heavy on fuel.

Aprilia Pegaso 650 - Its a great bike, fuel consumption was worse than the KLR, but was more stable, but also had injector issues and then headgasket later on, again had to import headgasket from UK, took long to get here, and very expensive.

My ultimate favorite bike from the list above would be the KLR 650, and Im currently in the market for one or even a KLE 500.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Daily Driven Jeeps For This Useful Post:

In true forum fashion, what about a Yammie XT660?
    Fortuner 4.0 V6 4x4 AT

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ferty For This Useful Post:

Hi

My 2cW

I have a Yamaha Super Tenere & a 170cc scooter.

Lane splitting with the Yammie is challenging at the best of times (most adventure/dual purpose style bikes handlebars are just about the same height of the side mirrors on modern cars) as some motorists are a.....holes. They actually see you coming and proceed to close the gap.

I ride the scoot everyday as the lane splitting is a breeze, but you don't want to be on any type of freeway/bypass/regional route on a scooter. You mention some highway/freeway riding, you can kiss that claimed 28km/l goodbye. Even "blasting" off at the traffic lights to stay in front of the traffic will kill your consumption. I still manage about 20km/l but there is no speed higher that 60-70km/h involved.

As mentioned the biggest saving for me is time, its 1/3 of the time travelling with a car.

Regards
    His:
    2009 Pajero 3.2 Di-D GLS
    1996 Beamish Buggy SWB

Hers
    2008 Triton 2.5 4x4 S/S - Longdistance roamer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JeanR For This Useful Post:

Not on your list, but what about the NC750X?

A bit under powered, but great on fuel

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAND For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ferty View Post
    In true forum fashion, what about a Yammie XT660?
    Twice the price of a KLR (from the few ads I've seen) and doesn't tickle my pickle at all for some reason...

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Not on your list, but what about the NC750X?

A bit under powered, but great on fuel
    Colleague has one, boring as hell I might as well get a scooter then, also upwards of R80k

Thanks for all the input guys
    2010 Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallGTi View Post
    Twice the price of a KLR (from the few ads I've seen) and doesn't tickle my pickle at all for some reason...

Colleague has one, boring as hell I might as well get a scooter then, also upwards of R80k

Thanks for all the input guys
    Yes, definitely not the most exciting ride.

Colleague has a Honda NCX700. He commutes and gets 35km/l. Not an exciting bike, but he save riding it.

And besides, does it matter if your commuting bike is boring? As long as it is reliable
    Groot berge en lang grondpaaie

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pietas For This Useful Post:

Out with it! You want a bike and the saving on fuel excuse is to convince yourself and to get the missus to agree on why you should get one!

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to HannoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HannoK View Post
    Out with it! You want a bike and the saving on fuel excuse is to convince yourself and to get the missus to agree on why you should get one!
    Obviously a part of it Haven't had a bike in nearly 10 years, the want is strong...

If you didn't know already, head on over to the wilddog forum.

It's like here, but for ADV bikes. Wealth of knowledge, advice etc, plus private sales on their forum!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Juddvdb For This Useful Post:

Hi all

I know it's not on your list, but mentioned twice.

I commute with a NC700X - if you want a commuter, this is it, and I will explain.
    I have added a topbox for storage, and where the fuel tank is supposed to be is a cubbyhole that swallows a size L helmet. So when I need to detour on the way home, I store the helmet in the cubby and the jacket, etc in the topbox. No walking around with bulky bike gear.
    Average consumption above 30km/l - something to be considered. Saving time and fuel compared to a cage.

You can also get it in auto. I bought mine 2nd hand 5 years ago and should have gotten the auto - would have been perfect for what I use it.

Good luck with the hunt
    2013 Isuzu KB300 DC 4x4

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Henkt For This Useful Post:

Don't think anyone asked, but have you ever ridden a bike? Or is this the first time buying and riding? Getting onto any of those bikes for the first time and hitting the road is daunting let alone highway or lane splitting.

I would say go for the KLR first generation ( Fugly ) They are cheap to repair and there's a wealth of knowledge regarding their upkeep. Both swambo and myself have one and we absolutely enjoy them, I also own a XR650L but personally I prefer my KLR to the Honda ( which is waaayyy overpriced for what you get )

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Duke1098 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by A_dam10 View Post
    Don't think anyone asked, but have you ever ridden a bike? Or is this the first time buying and riding? Getting onto any of those bikes for the first time and hitting the road is daunting let alone highway or lane splitting.
    Yes I have, commuted for 2+ years on an LS125 2 stroke when I was an appy, also spent some time with an SV650 and an early R1, and had a dirt bike probably 10 years ago.
    Last edited by MarshallGTi; 2022/06/24 at 08:36 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MarshallGTi For This Useful Post:

So have you decided what to get yet?
    20 Ranger Supercab 2.2 auto XLS 4x4
    18 Ranger Double cab Tdci (Swambo)
    12 Conqueror courage
    YouTube channel: https://youtube.com/channel/UC9NsHwaew1QQwFLuIx38UbQ
    Dawie van der Merwe
    If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
    A goal without a plan is just a dream.

I have owned both , and did a 8000km plus tour through Namibia on a Dakar. I am biased towards the BMW. The Klr I only owned for a year before I seized the motor by changing the exhaust pipe and not rejetting the carb and riding the bike a bit to far and hard , it was running to lean ,my fault and not the bikes.

Bmw Gs 650 Dakar ( had both the single and twin spark). Performance wise exactly the same. Prefer the single spark as its one less sparkplug to buy.
    More comfortable bike to ride than the Klr for me personally. I like the lower centre of gravity on the Gs with the under seat fuel tank. Klr always felt a bit top heavy for me.
    Fuel injection on the Gs a plus point for me vs Klr carburetor.
    Gs also felt narrower to me than my Klr and much more manageable in traffic.
    Gs gave me a consistent 28km/lt , my Klr around 20km/lt.
    Klr is a great bike with a big following , Gs was a better bike for my riding style and preffered terrain.

Not on your list ,but we'll worth considering will be a Gs 650 Twin ( 800cc detuned motor.) More power , smoother and more comfortable than either of the above. Added advantage is the tubeless tyres. In case of a flat tyre , just plug the hole and pump up the tyre with either a small compressor or foot pump or compressed air cylinder.
    Important consideration if you travel on the freeway , its not safe to spend to much time stuck on the side of the road. You want to get going asap.

The above would be my personal choise for a commuter bike.
    The Dakar ( Gs 650 single) would be my choise for a solo riding adventure bike.

There is a nice Gs 1150 for sale in George with only 58 000km on for R55k with pannier boxes ,crashbars ,spots and some other extras. Looks well maintained . To much bike for me , but for the right guy it will be a great buy. Never owned one and have only riden the 1100 Gs. It's advertised on , Facebook Marketplace. I don't know how it will fare as a commuter , I have heard it affectionately referred to as ,"The Pig" ,. Owners claim the motor is only just run in at ,100 000km.
    If you a big guy , tall and heafty, this bike could serve you well.

If you my size ,short and heafty ,the Gs 650 ( single cylinder or twin cylinder) will be my recommendation.
    Last edited by Rudi Maritz; 2022/06/30 at 09:26 PM.

F800gs Adventure

Best of both worlds engine size wize and Adventure version has an extended tank. Used to get 400km-500km on a tank

Former Game Ranger / Safari Guide
    2017 Jimny aka "Rateltjie"
    BMW f800gs Adventure - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by An3s View Post
    You are missing another great and reliable option: Suzuki V-Strom DL650.
    This.

Reliable and miserly 650 in spacious full frame bike.
    2006 Jeep GC Diesel - part of the family
    2006 Chrysler 300c Hemi - cause real men drive V8's
    2000 Range Rover 4.6 HSE - to be announced

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2