Default Karoo Pik Up A/T or Manual

Hi Guys

I might be in the market within the next few months and I have basically made my mind up on the S6 double cab Karoo.
    My only question is.
    Should I go auto and manual?
    I don't mind driving either but in terms of longevity and durability which is better?
    I have heard of one or two issues on the manual box but none on the a/t and AFAIK its a Aisin transmission?
    How are the gear changes on the auto because sometimes I am a bit of a spirited driver so don't want something that's going to frustrate me.
    Last edited by WillieJimny; 2022/06/23 at 02:04 PM.
    Willie Knoetze

2022 Suzuki Jimny

Default Re: Karoo Pik Up A/T or Manual

Quote Originally Posted by WillieJimny View Post
    Hi Guys

I might be in the market within the next few months and I have basically made my mind up on the S6 double cab Karoo.
    My only question is.
    Should I go auto and manual?
    I don't mind driving either but in terms of longevity and durability which is better?
    I have heard of one or two issues on the manual box but none on the a/t and AFAIK its a ZF transmission?
    How are the gear changes on the auto because sometimes I am a bit of a spirited driver so don't want something that's going to frustrate me.

Uhm... You drive a Jimny

Quote Originally Posted by 2beFree View Post
    Uhm... You drive a Jimny
    Robot to robot the Jimny is just as quick as any 1.2/1.4 hatch back. But the d/c will be our langpad vehicle which the Jimny is not
    Willie Knoetze

2022 Suzuki Jimny

Since there are no bites, I have lots of work so naturally I want to procrastinate. Also I am not very smart and eat crayons so dont believe anything I say.

That being said.
    The Mahindra Pik Up seems to be the launch name in RSA, Aus and NZ. Elsewhere it is Mahindra Scorpio Getaway so I could find more information using that.
    Most articles do not mention ZF gearbox but a collaboration with Japanese company Aisin (Toyota / Kawasaki partnership)

A few other mentions say the Aisin gearbox is similar to the Mahindra XUV 500 autobox AWTF-80_SC but this is a transverse gearbox so it wouldnt work for the Pik Up longitudinal engine. But as you can see on the Wiki, many other car brands have been using these Aisin transmissions for many years.

Another mention that the S6 has the Aisin, but specific model to maybe compare to other cars I cannot find.
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PsyPhin View Post
    Since there are no bites, I have lots of work so naturally I want to procrastinate. Also I am not very smart and eat crayons so dont believe anything I say.

That being said.
    The Mahindra Pik Up seems to be the launch name in RSA, Aus and NZ. Elsewhere it is Mahindra Scorpio Getaway so I could find more information using that.
    Most articles do not mention ZF gearbox but a collaboration with Japanese company Aisin (Toyota / Kawasaki partnership)

A few other mentions say the Aisin gearbox is similar to the Mahindra XUV 500 autobox AWTF-80_SC but this is a transverse gearbox so it wouldnt work for the Pik Up longitudinal engine. But as you can see on the Wiki, many other car brands have been using these Aisin transmissions for many years.

Another mention that the S6 has the Aisin, but specific model to maybe compare to other cars I cannot find.
    Thank you PsyPhin I did fix my OP.
    Willie Knoetze

2022 Suzuki Jimny

I can only offer my experience ...

Test drove 2 x Automatics and was impressed with the Auto Box in town driving. (limited auto experience)

My son however wanted a manual - bought a new 4x2 S10 in manual end of March.

I drove the 1st 3,000 km (bought in Paarl and did KKNK and a bit of Cape Town before driving it back to Pretoria)

I was very impressed with the Mahindra. Drove it easy for the 3,000km but on the way back from CT it felt nicely run-in already.

The manual is easy shift enough power on highway for normal driving.

I would get an Auto if I was driving it myself just for ease of use in town.

Nico
    Nico van Diemen

'91 BYB - Big Yellow Bus - Ex-CT Tdi Disco

'05 BOV - Big Orange Van - TDV6 D3 G4 It met a COW and is Gone, gone , gone ... replaced
    '11 - D4 V8 - BLACK (for now )
    '10 JK Sahara 2 Door - Open top for me and my boys - 3.8 V6 lifted muds bumpers sorted - Yip also orange
    '16 KIA SEDONA - 11 SEATS
    SWAMBO: Black RCZ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NvD42 For This Useful Post: