Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Fuel price and cost of 4x4ing

I don't know, people have money. There are still cars driving all over the place. Roads crazy busy for the long weekend and really nice 4x4s driving around, LC 79 drivers making that exhaust beat. Used car market is crazy expensive only because people are paying the price.

I don't think fuel has got to that price where it's unaffordable or people are living off credit but car ownership and driving seems to be a priority.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to GH For This Useful Post:

Will find a way of paying for fuel to have fun 4x4ing with my son

some times it not the cost of fuel but repairs after
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7745A00C-1227-4C44-A7E5-28C43F4DC054.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	304.2 KB 
ID:	659291   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	61CCEA48-4C19-4479-81AF-8F3FCC465FD3.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	163.7 KB 
ID:	659292  
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo (stolen by my son now )
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift
    2005 Defender TD5

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pradozn View Post
    Hi folks.

In view of constant global fuel increases, exactly what fuel price will compel you to consider selling your 4x4 vehicle of choice due to it simply being unaffordable ?

I am planning my trips so that I have more time, then travelling at 90 km/hour to use less than 5 litres per 100 km with my Duster AWD. Also saves on tyre and mechanical wear and tear and improves safety.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Langjan For This Useful Post:

Not that the brick is light on fuel, but fortunately the Gypsy is only a 1300.
    Won't consider selling it because I can't afford anything else, but I did the math and my Henties Bay trip around the 26th August public holiday will be unaffordable due to the fuel price as it stands now.
    Suzuki Gypsy - The lighter side of life

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DustGypsy For This Useful Post:

Shorter trips less frequently is step one.
    I think that we are all (normal income folk) considering all options.
    As assisted by the good folk on this forum very recently regarding possibly selling my old Suuz, I decided to KEEP the Suuz (and the little Chevy Spark) - just travel less and closer to home.
    As said, used vehicle prices are rising (!!!!)- New vehicles, for me anyway, are totally out of the picture.
    Mine are fully paid, minimal residual value, therefore minimal insurance costs due to low value / low Km.

Maintenance also drops significantly with reduced km.
    Driving slower also helps a lot.
    Also top up the tanks immediately before any price increase (If not too far from a filling station: "Eish").

There are some decisions still within individual control - let's handle those.
    Keep well, happy, and above all: healthy.
    Peter Hutchison
    Answering the call of the wild is just so much better than answering the telephone.
    Waking up in the morning is a good start. Then remember never ever to cross off the last item on your "bucket list" before first adding at least one more !!

[B][SIZE=2][FONT=Calibri][SIZE=2][B]1998 ISUZU KB 280 DT LE, Modified Glider Hunter trailer fitted with RTT. (Reluctantly SOLD)
    Now ancient 1985 re-modelled interior Jurgens Siesta 4 pop up caravan converted to suit SWAMBO's needs.
    Platkar = 2010 Chevy Spark 1.2

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1949 For This Useful Post:

Shorter trip distances, longer stays, do the gardening and housework ourselves, problem solved
    Toyota
    2019 Toyota 2.8 GD-6 4x4 Raider DC Auto

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Iggi For This Useful Post:

Sold my ranger last week. It was fully paid off!! Was spending a fair amount on diesel every month that I just could not see it being worthwhile to keep. I payed off my bond and some dept and now struggling to find something I like in the price range I want to spend.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to riyadh For This Useful Post:

Still keeping the 200 v8 diesel to tow the explorer

Just bought a X3 2.0d for everyday driving
    One life Live it

Take The Roads less traveled

Alles in die lewe gebeur met n doel

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Haggy4x4Bedinges For This Useful Post:

Just did a 2600km trip, I must say fuel is always on the mind but also YOLO.

I am not sure what future holds for traveling though but keep the speed down, don't rush, makes R1000s difference on the longer trips
    Dont take anything I say as actual advice or fact. I dont.

Haval H9 2.0T AWD
    Ex 2019 Ranger DC XLT Manual 4x4
    Ex 2017 Ranger DC XL Auto 4x4

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsyPhin For This Useful Post:

Im using mine less and less for everyday driving.
    They are taken for a spin maybe once a month and they each do long trips twice a year.
    Both are parked and connected to battery chargers while I wait for the fuel price to drop that will not happen in my lifetime.
    But selling? No not yet.
    Last edited by Damdan; 2022/06/21 at 10:26 AM.
    If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you'll most certainly be right. SJ

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Damdan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by renier_c View Post
    Already did. Sold the H3 V8 last month
    Black one?

Quote Originally Posted by Rammies View Post
    Black one?
    NoClick image for larger version. 

Name:	281814470.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	311.7 KB 
ID:	659835

Do exactly the same as Peter1949, do only the most essential trips. When I go out I combine everything into 1 trip. Drive as light as possible. Prado basically parked at the moment. Wife has Jimny for run around. It's still awes me the people that race from traffic light to traffic light. Unless it's company fuel they use. Have been driving as Lightfoot as possible where ever I go. Watch things like Voetspore and other overland trips and wonder how they can afford it. Being a pensioner with a fix income from investments my funds are getting tighter and tighter. Have a garage full of materials and equipment from when I worked that I need get rid of. We are moving to a smaller place with single garage so need to down scale in more ways than one.

Will not sell my Jeep it's paid off, everything else I like will be way more per month than the fuel saving.

Work from home so that helps a HUGE amount.

Everyone says it is a sellers market untill you try and trade in Went wheel kicking and had a look at the Triton. No intention to buy.

Salesman says but while you here lets see what I can give you for your Jeep, had nothing to lose so lets see what the old girl is worth.

In the same breath he tells me these Jeeps currently sells for between R450k and R550k in the current market and then offers me R245k

Good bye Mr. Salesman.
    They say money can't buy happiness but it bought my Jeep and I am happy as ..........

Quote Originally Posted by Jeepanator View Post
    Will not sell my Jeep it's paid off, everything else I like will be way more per month than the fuel saving.

Work from home so that helps a HUGE amount.

Everyone says it is a sellers market untill you try and trade in Went wheel kicking and had a look at the Triton. No intention to buy.

Salesman says but while you here lets see what I can give you for your Jeep, had nothing to lose so lets see what the old girl is worth.

In the same breath he tells me these Jeeps currently sells for between R450k and R550k in the current market and then offers me R245k

Good bye Mr. Salesman.
    I tend to think the same way about salesmen. Unless they can make thousands on a sale they aren't interested. Have no intention of buying a vehicle let alone a new one. With all the electronics in them making them cheaper to produce but they still rip proverbial arse out the chicken. Not justifiable.

jeepanator's point is key. Price of fuel, crazy as it is, pales into insignificance nearly when you compare the running cost no to what it costs to buy a new vehicle.

If you are going to finance a one million rand car, payments are nearly 15 000 per month.
    That is a heck of a lot of fuel.

My one month southern africa overland trip will cost me around 30 000 in fuel. But, my LC 79 is paid off......

Pajtu is not going anywhere soon. It's paid off, I have no excess on the insurance and we save and plan for trips. I have next to no debt and intend to keep it that way.
    Stranger

Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Cool Re: Fuel price and cost of 4x4ing

I bought a cruiser right at the end of Feb 2022 and completed out first 3000km adventure in the last two weeks. 20ltr/100km hurt, but after some reflection both "The Master" and I feel the cost of the fuel is far outweighed by the joy of traveling in that vehicle. We are fortunate to have company vehicles and fuel for the everyday mundane travels. Cruiser will be used exclusively for adventures.

Just remembered, December 2021 on the way to Swakop I was overtaken by by two LC79s, they were too fast to be sure but I assume it was a couple, one was loaded with camping/holiday stuff, the other had dogs on the back
    At the time I thought the fuel they used from where ever to Swakop would probably last me six months!
    Suzuki Gypsy - The lighter side of life

The economy works like this:

When the price of meat increases - you eat less meat.
    When the price of beer increases - you eat less meat.

YOLO so we make concessions for what we enjoy, life is all about priorities...
    Live everyday as though it were your last and one day you will be right.
    Suzuki Jimny - Sookie
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSC...JVsNkn-Sos1wkw
    ZS1GS

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cside For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast